Hot HIIT

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's HIIT in a room that's about 90-95 degrees. I'm used to the heat since I've practiced Hot Yoga and Bikram for years. It's great for detox
    Easy way to get heat stroke if one isn't conditioned correctly for it or the body isn't efficiently cooled. Not a good idea. Working out in a hot room doesn't increase the calorie burn to any significance. Also, there is no "detoxing" going on. This is a sales pitch from people just trying to sell an idea to pack their classes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yep, need to be conditioned to the heat. Few people are today. Way back in the day in HS we'd practice full court basketball and lift in a gym with no a/c and closed up all day except for practice. It would routinely be 90+ for weeks during the summer so the gym got hot.

Of course we would be out doing farm labor in the heat (bailing hay, walking beans, etc) for 8-10 hours before practice.

You can get used to working in the heat, but for someone living in an air conditioned home, working in an air conditioned office and trotting into a class in a 95 degree room is a recipe for disaster IMO.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    lizbx1 wrote: »
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    People, the OP asked a simple question. In the spirit of community and courtesy, I think you should either answer the question to the best of your ability, or ignore the thread.
    You are wantonly criticizing what she likes to do. We could do that with any form of exercise (weightlifting doesn't get your heart rate up like running! Too much running makes it hard to maintain muscle!) and we all probably do some rather hokey stuff.
    If she likes to jump around in a hot room because the intense sweating feels good and cleansing, who am I to criticize? (And who are you?)
    Heck, I love a spin class. But all that pedaling? I get nowhere. I stay in exactly the same place. Now, isn't that rather silly?

because it is woo woo and potentially deadly ...

and sweating does not cleanse anything...

Sweating is a great way to detox and clean your pores. Deadly? Get a grip its not that serious.

doing real HIIT in a 100 degree room can be deadly, yes. not sure why that is so hard to comprehend...

Sorry to disappoint but still here lol. Whatever your definition of HIIT is...

that would be an all out burst for 20 seconds rest for 10 seconds then repeat....

good luck doing that in a 100 degree room ...

A lot of programs claim to be HIIT and they are nothing close. From reviewing the website this appears to be one such program.

That would be one method, but essentially you are right. Just doesn't have to be a 20/10 method. Other lengths of times can be used.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's HIIT in a room that's about 90-95 degrees. I'm used to the heat since I've practiced Hot Yoga and Bikram for years. It's great for detox
    Easy way to get heat stroke if one isn't conditioned correctly for it or the body isn't efficiently cooled. Not a good idea. Working out in a hot room doesn't increase the calorie burn to any significance. Also, there is no "detoxing" going on. This is a sales pitch from people just trying to sell an idea to pack their classes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yep, need to be conditioned to the heat. Few people are today. Way back in the day in HS we'd practice full court basketball and lift in a gym with no a/c and closed up all day except for practice. It would routinely be 90+ for weeks during the summer so the gym got hot.

Of course we would be out doing farm labor in the heat (bailing hay, walking beans, etc) for 8-10 hours before practice.

You can get used to working in the heat, but for someone living in an air conditioned home, working in an air conditioned office and trotting into a class in a 95 degree room is a recipe for disaster IMO.

I agree with this guy!

I know this situation does not apply to everyone, but back in my Army days the only ones who were Heat Cat's were the guys/gals who never conditioned EVER and only trained in AC cooled environments. Now I'm not promoting the idea as being great for everyone, but however it does have its place of importance in either sports or job specific environments that are necessary to better acclimate yourself to the stress induced by the heat. Otherwise people would be dropping like flies when it truly counts and I know this from personel experience (never been a heat cat ever now Ive had hella bad heat rashes from my IOTV and IBA but never passed out or had heat exhaustion).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian in a northern city. It snowed last weekend and it will again. Few homes have central air here because it rarely gets that hot.

I learned to run in minus 20 C weather. The first time I wilted on a run was on a hot spring day.

I have no doubt my blood is as thick as molasses to keep my body furnace going.

The thought of an intense workout in a hot room...indescribably miserable.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'm Canadian in a northern city. It snowed last weekend and it will again. Few homes have central air here because it rarely gets that hot.

I learned to run in minus 20 C weather. The first time I wilted on a run was on a hot spring day.

What it comes down to is people thinking the more suffering they go through, the better the result will be. I get running in -20, I'm from Ottawa, so you need to be able to do it. Does running in -20 make it better than running in +20? No. As long as the work gets done.

• jpoehls9025
    Options

What it comes down to is people thinking the more suffering they go through, the better the result will be. I get running in -20, I'm from Ottawa, so you need to be able to do it. Does running in -20 make it better than running in +20? No. As long as the work gets done.

I hear what you are saying, I think just for some people the challenge is desirable. Now as Ive said before its not for everyone and I dont think its necessary for everyone. But da*n I must say, it can really build mental toughness which is essential for some individuals.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options

I hear what you are saying, I think just for some people the challenge is desirable. Now as Ive said before its not for everyone and I dont think its necessary for everyone. But da*n I must say, it can really build mental toughness which is essential for some individuals.

And that is something different. If you want to run a death race through Death Valley because few people have done it, that is one thing. If you are doing it on the premise that it is somehow better and detoxifies you, you'd be wrong.
  • jpoehls9025
    Options

And that is something different. If you want to run a death race through Death Valley because few people have done it, that is one thing. If you are doing it on the premise that it is somehow better and detoxifies you, you'd be wrong.

LOL I hear you there, I dont believe there is any benefits in the "detoxification" ideologies. But definitely can produce some serious bad @ssery mental fortitude.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,617 Member
    Options
    Symptoms of hyperthermia, or heat-related illness, vary according to the specific type of illness. The most severe form of hyperthermia is heat stroke. This happens when the body is no longer able to regulate its internal temperature; this is a medical emergency. (this is quoted from medicinenet) Hyperthermia is as real as hypothermia. Have you never heard of heat stroke? I've had symptoms before and almost totally blacked out. Some symptoms include muscle cramps, dizziness/lightheadedness, weakness, confusion.

I'm not saying that everyone in a hot room will experience this, but it can happen. We get trained on treating heat stroke in first aid classes, its a real thing. There is a reason for sweating, and it is too cool the body. The body cannot cool itself properly in a heated room. I don't see any benefits to doing HIIT in a hot room, but there do seem to be many disadvantages. You will sweat even in an air conditioned room. The best way to guesstimate your calorie burn would be to use a HR monitor, but it works best on steady state cardio, which HIIT is not.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like running in about minus 2 C. I can dress in layers and unzip to maintain a steady temperature. No sweat.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I like running in about minus 2 C. I can dress in layers and unzip to maintain a steady temperature. No sweat.

I'm good to about -15, then I just can't anymore. Not a fan of the cold. Bad choice of living environment here. I was running in plus 30C one day after a weekend of poor hydration. I stopped sweating and started feeling cold. The headache after was pretty bad. It took me days to recover.

OP, if you want to do it, do it. It isn't giving you the benefits you think it is though.