Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Clean" eater critical of Low Carb

Options
1235»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rawroy wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    I can overeat potatoes without thinking about it, regardless of what is on it. Throw the cheese and sour cream on cauliflower and I stay within range. Everyone is different in how their bodies respond to different foods.

I don't think you realize how difficult it would be to eat 10 whole potatoes compared to say 1 can of pringles or even just 2 potatoes that are saturated with oil, cheese, sour cream, butter, bacon bits, and whatever else people add to make it so unhealthy. I don't think everyone is that different or we wouldn't have so many people following the same exact diets at all. The vast majority of people really would find it rather difficult to overeat their caloric requirement on a low fat plant based diet compared to a high fat high protein meat and dairy based diet. The volume of food would just be too daunting.

If you have trouble overeating because you are still hungry, just add more whole foods like veggies or grains or fruit without all the extra fat condiments. Just season them up without added salt and sugar and I'm sure you'll be full. My taste buds have gone back to what I consider our natural state and now I can easily enjoy and detect the true flavor of food we take for granted after eliminating most of the processed foods.

*Blink*

~900 cals in one can of Pringles.

~3000-3500 cals in 10 typically-sized russet potatoes at my grocery.

I can eat the can of Pringles and still have 700 cals left if I'm maintaining.

I'm on track to gain 2-3 lbs per week if I eat the 10 potatoes in a day. Oh, and I'll eventually get mighty sick if I don't add any fats or proteins to those potatoes.

Something tells me this is not any kind of reasonable comparison.

Seriously! You use MFP and think 10 potatos are 3500 calories. No, you wouldn't get sick. You ever hear of the potato diet? There really are people eating mainly potatoes and losing weight and clearing up health problems. Turns out, a potato gives them all the nutrition and protein they need! It would make for a very bland diet but that was never my point. My point is, the potato is not the problem or reason people overeat.

syrkss0au9cl.gif

You seem to be using the typical weight of a medium Russet potato -- it's possible the person you're responding to was thinking of the larger potatoes you see sold alongside them, probably closer to 8-10 ounces.
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    BABetter1 wrote: »
    And, is it just me or is a certain someone totally ignoring my comments (especially the ones with relevant past experience) and just using my thread as a soap box?

If you are referring to me, no, you didn't stump me. I haven't been back because I have so many other things I do everyday like work, bike to the gym, and meal prep to help others who have diabetes, heart disease and more caused from their meat and dairy based diet.

You have to understand I'm totally outnumbered here but I'm sure there are more like me that just don't speak up because of that. I am just limiting how much time and energy I invest in these forums. These threads can go on forever so don't take me not responding as some sort of victory. I know people think they win a debate that way but I'm here to share my experience, research, and hopefully it will help others who are willing to change because low fat plant based has so many benefits compared to any other diet. That should be our primary source of food and I can say, since I'm the minority now, the majority of people on meat based diets have health problems and I wonder what percentage that is on MFP...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I can overeat potatoes without thinking about it, regardless of what is on it. Throw the cheese and sour cream on cauliflower and I stay within range. Everyone is different in how their bodies respond to different foods.

I don't think you realize how difficult it would be to eat 10 whole potatoes compared to say 1 can of pringles or even just 2 potatoes that are saturated with oil, cheese, sour cream, butter, bacon bits, and whatever else people add to make it so unhealthy. I don't think everyone is that different or we wouldn't have so many people following the same exact diets at all. The vast majority of people really would find it rather difficult to overeat their caloric requirement on a low fat plant based diet compared to a high fat high protein meat and dairy based diet. The volume of food would just be too daunting.

If you have trouble overeating because you are still hungry, just add more whole foods like veggies or grains or fruit without all the extra fat condiments. Just season them up without added salt and sugar and I'm sure you'll be full. My taste buds have gone back to what I consider our natural state and now I can easily enjoy and detect the true flavor of food we take for granted after eliminating most of the processed foods.

*Blink*

I'm on track to gain 2-3 lbs per week if I eat the 10 potatoes in a day. Oh, and I'll eventually get mighty sick if I don't add any fats or proteins to those potatoes.

Seriously! You use MFP and think 10 potatos are 3500 calories. No, you wouldn't get sick. You ever hear of the potato diet? There really are people eating mainly potatoes and losing weight and clearing up health problems. Turns out, a potato gives them all the nutrition and protein they need! It would make for a very bland diet but that was never my point. My point is, the potato is not the problem or reason people overeat.

syrkss0au9cl.gif

You seem to be using the typical weight of a medium Russet potato -- it's possible the person you're responding to was thinking of the larger potatoes you see sold alongside them, probably closer to 8-10 ounces.

Who eats a potato that is 150g, that is real small? Mine are always 300 to 400 which is what i typical see at restaurants too.
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

*Blink*

syrkss0au9cl.gif

Of course because I'm comparing it to 1 can of pringles. Doesn't matter if it's 1 watermelon size potato = 10 pringles or 10 medium sized potatos = 1 can of pringles.

It's really not that confusing for most people to understand but if it is...they are probably the ones in eating more pringles...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

*Blink*

syrkss0au9cl.gif

Who eats a potato that is 150g, that is real small? Mine are always 300 to 400 which is what i typical see at restaurants too.

I think they tend to put the smaller ones in the big bags they sell. When I buy a big bag, I tend to get smaller potatoes. When I buy them individually, they're always much bigger.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    And, is it just me or is a certain someone totally ignoring my comments (especially the ones with relevant past experience) and just using my thread as a soap box?

If you are referring to me, no, you didn't stump me. I haven't been back because I have so many other things I do everyday like work, bike to the gym, and meal prep to help others who have diabetes, heart disease and more caused from their meat and dairy based diet.

You have to understand I'm totally outnumbered here but I'm sure there are more like me that just don't speak up because of that. I am just limiting how much time and energy I invest in these forums. These threads can go on forever so don't take me not responding as some sort of victory. I know people think they win a debate that way but I'm here to share my experience, research, and hopefully it will help others who are willing to change because low fat plant based has so many benefits compared to any other diet. That should be our primary source of food and I can say, since I'm the minority now, the majority of people on meat based diets have health problems and I wonder what percentage that is on MFP...

Interestingly, no organization recognizes your assertion.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/symptoms-causes

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/basics/causes/con-20033091

https://www.diabetesresearch.org/what-is-type-two-diabetes

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/

And this doesn't even address those with insulin resistanace, which the OP has.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

*Blink*

syrkss0au9cl.gif

I think this discussion is silly and agree you can get fat on any diet, but I typically eat potatoes even smaller than that. I tend to roast fingerlings or the little brown or purple or red ones. Don't really go for the huge russets.

(I do buy the huge sweet potatoes, but usually only have 100 g or less at a time.)

I am pretty sure I'd lose weight on the all potato diet (which I think is goofy and not really healthy), but that assumes I could stick to it, and I am reasonably certain I could not, so it's moot.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I only just noticed this was directed at me. So, again, you make a lot of assumptions based on what? Never said I stumped you. Never implied victory in this debate. I also never said my diet is meat and dairy based. You, sir, are just like "clean eater", the original subject of this debate, in that you have made assumptions about what my low carb diet consists of. Did you actually read the original post where I list what I ate that day? There is no winning a debate with someone who simply discounts your personal anecdotal evidence as lies and is quite self convinced that everyone but he must load up a potato with meat, cheese, and butter at every meal because, according to you, "they just can't help themselves". At any rate, your input in this debate is irrelevant as the debate compared my way of eating to that of "clean eater" who also happens to eat meat. So even he can't meet your perfect standards.

yx5x66mgo7yz.gif
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    All I know for me is that an LCHF diet is the best thing for me and my Crohn's. I would forever be in the hospital if I was vegan. But i know other Crohnies who wouldnt survive on my diet (lots of vegetables and fiber). One size does not fit all.

I am glad you found something that works (isn't that just the best feeling?)! forget those who tell you otherwise, especially if they are seriously misinformed .
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

*Blink*

syrkss0au9cl.gif

Yes, I do.

A typical russet potato in my grocery runs around 450g, which is why if I'm buying a baking potato I end up digging around in the bottom of the bin to find the smallest ones. Those are still quite a bit larger than what you're using as a 'typical' potato. I don't think I've ever logged one smaller than 250g.

If you're specifically referencing small potatoes, you can buy reds, baby, or fingerlings, but that really undermines your original argument. Because they're so small, it's be super easy to put away that many in a day. If I'm eating smaller potatoes, I'd normally have 3-5 as a side, and I am petite.

Potatoes absolutely do not give you everything you need. They are lacking in essential fats, and have insufficient protein, without which you would eventually die. The potato diet is a short-term crash diet. Assuming you are decently nourished to start, malnutrition does not catch up with you in a couple of weeks.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Well, fine. It's hard to eat 1100 calories of plain potatoes in one sitting, but this has nothing to do with it being plant-based, it has to do with having a relatively low caloric density. It's equally as hard if not harder to eat the whites of 70 eggs in one sitting (similar calories to ten 150 gram potatoes) and that's high protein and not plan-based. You are also forgetting that satiety is largely individual and some people who eat a low carb diet experience a diminished appetite where small portions of high fat foods are exceptionally filling to them. Clearly OP is doing pretty well on a low carb diet and is not hungry, so that point is dead on arrival.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

*Blink*

syrkss0au9cl.gif

In what bizarro world is 30g of protein (from TEN potatoes, no less) a sufficient daily intake for anybody? And what's the amino acid profile of the protein in potatoes? Do they contain every one of the essential amino acids?

It's also worth mentioning that fats are an essential part of the diet for many reasons, and potatoes have none. Their micronutrient profile is nowhere near complete either. A "potato diet" is a very bad idea for several reasons.
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm skeptical of any "low or no" diet. While I think it's important to watch what you eat, our bodies do need a certain amount of fat, sodium, carbs, protein, and even sugar. I think portion control is the most important part of a diet. Even eating "healthy foods" like broccoli, chicken, turkey, spinach, etc can be bad when you are over eating them. That's great if a person wants to eat a low sodium diet, or a low-carb diet, or switch to eating all turkey. But if a person is still going back for 2nd, 3rd, or 4th helpings that is the problem.

Just realize that may not have answered the initial question but that's my opinion.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It's not worth getting into the argument. The moment someone starts referring to food as "clean" or "unclean," they've turned their eating habits into a religion, and that's psychologically unhealthy.