How did you decide your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Libby283 wrote: »
    I am seeing others my same height posting goal weights vastly different than my goal. Some are close to what I weigh now, which I say is my "fat size".

Is it a certain size you were before? A goal to just get to a certain pant or dress size you think sounds good?

How do you decide what weight you want to become?

My current stats

5'3", 38 year of F.

SW 158
    CW 152.6
    GW 124

I want to get back to the same size I was 2 years ago and wear my favorite size 2 Levi's.

All you can do is take a wild guess because that number is going to vary greatly depending upon your % of body fat to lean muscle.

People with a higher % of lean muscle will look firm and thin (fit) at a higher weight than people with a larger % of body fat. That's why aggressive dieting can backfire. I did that years ago. I assumed I would look okay at 130 but that didn't happen (skinny-fat).
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm in the look rather than weight category.
    I mostly just want a flat stomach, and not to look too scrawny. From prior experience (top level coxing for rowing), I start looking pretty unattractive at a certain point. I've also been dangerously obsessed with my weight in the past, when I had to be weighed before every race I did, so I know that weight is a bad metric for me.
    I've been focusing on lifting weights since last summer, and am now smaller but heavier than I've been in a long time, but feel awesome. I've been using my body fat percentage as a measurement of my progress since then, which I find that I can't obsess about as much as weight. It's also a faff to measure properly (my trainer uses calipers on me every so often) so it's not done very often, and it means I can't obsess about small daily or weekly variations - I get to look at trends over months instead.

So I guess it's important to be flexible in your goal. Do you *really* care about a number on a scale, or is that just a proxy for how you'll look or feel in a certain size or style of clothes?
  • fitzmonkey13
    fitzmonkey13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I picked 150 as my goal. It's just above the healthy range for my height, but I decided that I would work toward getting there. When I get to that point I'm going to have a conversation with my doctor based on my particular medical and family history to see where I need to go from there. To be honest, once I hit that point I may focus on maintenance for a while before I try to lose any more.
  • Slimmersixties
    Slimmersixties Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I m 5 ft 6. Started at 270lb. To get to a "healthy" bmi i d need to lose 116lb which just seems totally overwhelming. So I set myself smaller goals, ie 230lb by the time i went on holiday, 210lb by the time the swimming pool opens, 196lb by the time the swimming pool closes ...... and thats as far as i ve got! Works for me :) Will keep setting goals until I feel I ve lost enough :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    SW ~ 330
    CW ~ 245
    GW ~ 220

I just want to be overweight for a while. Like the summer. Than I'll look at a final goal weight. Probably in the 190-200 range. I don't think I'll get within the "healthy" BMI range but if I can be 17-18% BF I'll call it good. I'm 6' so I'd have to be ~180 to be in the healthy range and I just don't see that for my body type.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I think it depends on a personal preference. The charts state I weigh anywhere between 110- 144. When I was in my early 20's (now 48) I was 170lb. People would always be like there is no way you weigh 170lbs... I was thinking 140lbs at best? I guess I carried well IDK. As the years past being an emotional eater, having some medical issues I packed on the pounds to an all time high of 260lbs. When I started on this healthy journey in 11/2016 I set small goals for myself, wanted to be X by X so forth and so on. I have always had a figure of 170-180 in my mind as a goal weight, just because that was the last time I can remember feeling healthy and in shape. I have no desire to be skinny, I like my curves and plan on keeping them. I know that 170-180 is considered over weight on the charts but as long as I am eating healthy and and being active the actually # on the scale is not important to me. I may change my mind when I actually hit that goal who knows. All I know is after being 260 for so many years, the outside world has already begun to tell me how thin I am getting and I still have almost 40lbs to lose just to get to the 170. I can only imagine the comments I am going to get at that point. LOL You do what you feel is right for you. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. ;)
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

I'm 5'4 and my weight used to stay around 165 lbs for most of my adult life. At one point I lost weight and was around 153 but I went back up to 165. I always had a "goal weight" of 120 but back then 45 lbs to lose seemed like a massive amount to lose. I also had no idea what I'd look or feel like at that weight so it seemed very distant and unattainable.

Fast forward like 4 years... A medication I was on helped me balloon up to 195 lbs. I felt miserable. Now my 120 lb goal seemed REALLY out of reach for me. It made it hard to even try.
    So recently I reevaluated things. I felt pretty good when I got down to 153 so I looked up my healthy weight rage and picked 140 which was on the higher end. That feels attainable to me. It feels like a weight that I can get to. I'm now at 176 and it's exciting (instead of daunting) that I "only" have 34 lbs to go.

I have 33 lbs to go. We can do this. One pound at a time. I break it into tiny chunks. Like now I am just trying to get into the 140's, than I will be excited to get to 145, than to the 130's...and so on. Mini Milestones along the way to goal weight.

I'm definitely feeling confident this time around. When I would always set my goal lower I always felt like I couldn't really do it. Changing my goal to a more realistic number has helped me feel confident.
    When I get down to 140 then I might reevaluate again.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I picked 10-15lbs under the lowest adult weight I've been (5'0 and 125 was my lowest adult weight). When I was at 125 (high end of the bmi for my height) i still had some belly fat and saddlebags that I didn't like and would've liked to drop an additional 10-15lbs at that point. Coincidentally 10-15lbs lower than that (110-115) would put me in the middle of bmi for my height which I think will probably be perfect for me as I have medium bone structure:)
  • Xredstarsx
    Xredstarsx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what weight you have been in the past. I am 5'8" and I have never been below 170 as an adult. Even as a very active teen I was around that weight. If I get there and want to go lower I might but I know I feel happy and healthy at 170 with some good muscle. Right now my main goal is to not be classified as morbidly obese. After that I will take it one step at a time.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I can't fit my favorite pants anymore and that was my wake up call. I have to get back in those pants. That's how I set my goal.

^This.

• labblb86
    labblb86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I chose 145 as my goal weight. I'm 5'7", 44 years old. I lost most of my weight on Weight Watchers. For my height, the range is 130 - 159, so I chose the middle. It's definitely where I feel most comfortable, and able to maintain.
  • CreatureComforts13
    CreatureComforts13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I threw a dart at it.

No, but really I picked something near-ish to my "ideal weight" (which is very low as a 5'2" woman) and decided to aim for that. I picked 140 -- still "overweight" but it would be the lowest I've been since I was a teenager. Then, we'll go from there.

I did something similar! I found my ideal weight range for my height (5' 5.5") and picked a round number somewhere in the middle. I'm quite curvy so I don't think the bottom end of healthy would look good, but I want some wiggle room and to know that I'm no longer even borderline overweight. So my goal is 135lbs, ish.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and picked 155 as it is about 10 pounds higher than when I was 21/22 and working out a lot because of my job. 15 years and 1 kids later the low 140's seems very daunting especially from my perch up in the 190's back in January. I am currently 168-169ish and want to be under 160 by Memorial Day (ideally at my goal weight but time has run at to do that the healthy way) and then maintain 155 for the summer. I have a vacation planned for the end of November and depending on how I feel at 155 might try to drop a few more before the vacation so that when we get back I am still in my desired range.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I estimated body fat percentage using a bio-electrical impedance scale (not the most accurate method, but it was a good start), determined a goal BF% from online research, and calculated the difference.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    A lot depends on personal history. Some users have never been at their goal weight and really don't know what to expect. Some just choose a weight based on healthy bmi range for their height. Some set 'mini-goals' to break their journey up into manageable chunks. Body frame and desired muscle mass also factor in.

I have an interim goal weight that is at the top of my healthy range. This is what I weighed when I got married more than a few years ago, and I know I'm pretty comfortable there. Then I have an ultimate goal weight. This is what I weighed in high school, and I know it will take some work to get there but is perfectly realistically attainable.

I would love to go to my high school weight, but last time I lost weight I got to 124 and people said I looked really small. 98 lbs (day I graduated, 18 years old) would have them loosing their minds.

That is because at 98 you would be underweight. There is no way you should be aiming for such a low weight.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I've never since I hit my teens been anything other than obese. My goal weight is a weight that gives me a BMI that's just about in the normal range; but given the size of my frame, and the amount of loose skin I'm likely to have, I suspect that the goal may prove impractical.

I'll honestly be thrilled just to be out of the 'morbidly obese' range.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I'll honestly be thrilled just to be out of the 'morbidly obese' range.

I set mini-goals based on these kind of benchmarks. First to not be MO, then 20% gone, then to be Obese class 1, next was 25% gone. Next is 30% gone then to be simply overweight. If I get to overweight, that will be 1/3 of my weight gone and I will be happy as *kitten* to get there. Seriously, if I stall there and maintain at overweight, it's still a huge plus for my health and a hell of a change.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I set mine as the last weight on my medical chart when I left the Navy - 204 lbs. I was in the best shape of my life at the time and figured if you're going to set a goal, make it a lofty one.
  • lorettaclaire
    lorettaclaire Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on build rather than just height. Some people have a very small frame and others larger. I'm 5"8 and currently 177lbs. My goal weight is 160. That is the high end of a "healthy bmi". I am naturally a big build and no matter how hard I try I cannot get smaller than a size 12 (8 US size) My goal weight is what i feel is the perfect weight for me.