What is one permanent change you've made to create a life-long calorie deficit?

13»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2017
    Started using a food scale.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Eat lean meats like chicken, beef, fish, etc.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Not drinking my calories. Its very rare I have soda, juice, or alcoholic beverages now.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Keeping fat low <15%.
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    Behavioral changes for me are:
    1. Intermittent fasting. I generally do not eat before noon or after midnight and try very hard not to snack between meals. This naturally keeps my calories down.
    2. Naturally gravitating towards veggies, healthy fats, and proteins. I'm currently in maintenance (temporarily) and working on reintroducing carbs and learning how to eat them in moderation. But I try to keep veggies, healthy fats and proteins as the cornerstones of my diet.
    3. Exercise!! Especially strength and resistance training, because the more muscle you have, the more you can get away with, food-wise.
    4. Eating home cooked foods.

Food changes are:
    2. Sticking with low carb alternatives to popular high-carb foods. So cauliflower rice instead of rice, cabbage or shirataki noodles instead of pasta. Honestly, I don't generally miss pasta and I'm *kitten* at cooking rice, so this is something I will always keep up in my day to day life.
    3. Not drinking my calories. If I want something sweet to drink, I'll have diet soda, unsweetened iced tea, or if I really really reallyyyyyyy want some juice, I will mix a few ounces of juice or nectar into seltzer water, to keep the calories and sugar low, but to still get the flavor.
    4. Similar to the above, but avoiding alcohol. I now drink very rarely and will normally stick to liquor with a diet soda mixer. No beer, no wine, no mimosas or bellinis. I'm very partial to tropical mixed drinks, so if there is a good one available and I'm really feeling for it, I will let myself have it. I thought this would be hard because I used to drink alot but I don't miss alcohol and it saves a *kitten* ton of money, so this is a permanent change for me. Plus I live in a place where weed is legalized, so if I need to unwind, I just have a bit of that.
    5. Switching from normal ice cream to an ice cream substitute. I love Halo Top, Enlightened, and Yasso the best. They are expensive, but worth every penny to someone with a crazy sweet tooth like myself.

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Largely replaced pasta with spiralized veggies, daily walking, logging food (yes I intend to keep this up in maintenance). Eating out way less.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    I have been maintaining for years and have found that counting calories and weighing food helps termendously. Also not depriving myself of anything, if I have a night out and eat a high calorie meal of exactly what I wanted...so what...back to normal the next day.
    Little things I have changed in my diet
    -diet pop instead of regular soda
    -lower sugar ketchup ( I pour ketchup over everything)
    -splenda to replace sugar
    -exercise!