5000 calories over

Options

Replies

• MiniMexxxxx
    MiniMexxxxx Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    In theory yes but in reality a certain amount will even out over the week. Just draw a line under it. It happens to everyone - well me anyway :wink:
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You are missing the bigger picture here. Binging is not normal behavior so make sure to address as a priority.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    NoIdea103 wrote: »

So yes, it is possible, and an unhealthy relationship with food - feeling bad about eating - has seriously damaging consequences, mentally and physically, for years even after recovery. Really not the sort of advice anyone should be giving out IMO.

Sigh. Seems like a lot of things are possible these days. I would think the basic of deterring an adverse behavior is to recall its consequence. That's how kids are taught, how people function and shape their behaviors. No one is going around automatically knowing mistakes. It just seems ridiculous to leap from doing something so basic to the extreme as an disorder. People are quick to label everything as unhealthy relationship. Heck, counting can be very neurotic and OCD prone but I don't see all the screaming.
  • Jadedinosaur
    Jadedinosaur Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Learning from mistakes is fine. I think the thing people are worrying about is this: "Next time you should feel bad immediately when food is brought in front of you" as that seems unhealthy and dangerous. Thinking about what you eat doesn't mean you have to feel bad about food when it's there. Maybe it works for some but it seems like a very unhealthy relationship with food to feel bad when it appears.

I certainly don't feel bad whenever food is put in front of me and if I did I do not think it would help me on a healthy journey at all, and yes I have overeaten massively on some days. I don't think making myself feel bad when food appears would help at all with that and that is the statement people worry about.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Adding the calories at the end of the week gives you a better picture overall. You have to let go of the past and pick yourself up again. Keep doing the best you can.
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    Learning from mistakes is fine. I think the thing people are worrying about is this: "Next time you should feel bad immediately when food is brought in front of you" as that seems unhealthy and dangerous. Thinking about what you eat doesn't mean you have to feel bad about food when it's there. Maybe it works for some but it seems like a very unhealthy relationship with food to feel bad when it appears.

I certainly don't feel bad whenever food is put in front of me and if I did I do not think it would help me on a healthy journey at all, and yes I have overeaten massively on some days. I don't think making myself feel bad when food appears would help at all with that and that is the statement people worry about.

There is a big difference between "feeling bad" about the food itself, .

This is why I said people are quick to judge. I didn't say "feel bad about food".

Specifically I meant instead of feeling bad the next day, which is basically useless, feel bad the moment when you are about to commit the behavior.

Quoting is supposed to help.

• endlessfall16
    Options

Well, that doesn't mean much though as my experience is completely opposite and I'm not seeing any adverse effect other than the positive result that I could control my eating behavior very well.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You still ate the calories, even if you didn't gain weight. You might just gain in 2 weeks instead, or not lose that week. What you eat doesn't have a direct repercussion on the scale... but the calories don't disappear.

About the feeling bad thing... I'd still be over 200 lbs if I didn't feel bad when I overeat. It's not necessarily unhealthy...
  • Jadedinosaur
    Jadedinosaur Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Okay, feel bad *when food is in front of you*. About what? Eating in general? Only if you put too much in front of yourself? I do try to remember that overeating will not get me what I want long term and remember the consequences of overeating (bloating, feeling bad), but that doesn't mean I feel bad every time I sit down with my lunch to eat it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    About the feeling bad thing... I'd still be over 200 lbs if I didn't feel bad when I overeat. It's not necessarily unhealthy...

This is a very good point that people miss. To some extent you do need an emotional attachment to food and your body to help maintain control over your intake.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    This is a very good point that people miss. To some extent you do need an emotional attachment to food and your body to help maintain control over your intake.

I find that emotion is the best way to control my appetite, since for me appetite is a psychological far more than a physical drive.

The way I avoid bingeing these days is, counterintuitively, by loving food. I love it. I really appreciate it. And appreciating it means eating it slowly and savouring every mouthful; and it's actually quite difficult to binge when it's just taken half an hour to eat a single pastry :)

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    kpkitten wrote: »
    Hoshiko wrote: »

Has it happened to you or anyone you know?

You know it's not different from the concept of learning from one's mistakes. Learning history. If you can't feel or realize past mistake's impact, you'll repeat it.

Not the person quoted but I have, and those people are called anorexics. Feeling bad about food is usually not a helpful thing.

Let me try to understand you correctly. You know first hand of people who have gone from overweight to being anorexics?

That's a very long distance to go, or even if possible. You may aim for the moon but likely all you can reach is the hill and you know you are on the hill if it happens.

However, the continuous, repetitive, destructive overeating in overweight folks is very real and all too common. Worrying about becoming anorexics is too much of putting the cart before the horse.

Anorexia doesn't just affect slim people. In fact, with all the pressure on overweight people to lose it, I wouldn't be surprised if it affects more overweight/obese people than already slim - it's just ignorance like this that leads to it going undiagnosed.
    You can be 400lbs and anorexic, all it means is that you dramatically reduce your food intake to the point of eating barely anything in an attempt to lose weight.

That would be some other disorder.

Anorexia (an-o-REK-see-uh) nervosa — often simply called anorexia — is an eating disorder characterized by an abnormally low body weight, intense fear of gaining weight and a distorted perception of body weight. People with anorexia place a high value on controlling their weight and shape, using extreme efforts that tend to significantly interfere with activities in their lives.

To prevent weight gain or to continue losing weight, people with anorexia usually severely restrict the amount of food they eat. They may control calorie intake by vomiting after eating or by misusing laxatives, diet aids, diuretics or enemas. They may also try to lose weight by exercising excessively.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

I find that emotion is the best way to control my appetite, since for me appetite is a psychological far more than a physical drive.

The way I avoid bingeing these days is, counterintuitively, by loving food. I love it. I really appreciate it. And appreciating it means eating it slowly and savouring every mouthful; and it's actually quite difficult to binge when it's just taken half an hour to eat a single pastry :)

@ceiswyn Same here! The time I hated food the most was when I was binge eating. Appreciating food and loving the nutrition it has to give (along with lots of therapy, ha) has helped significantly reduce the craving to binge eat for me.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I went on a work trip last week and went thousands over. I counted my calories the first day - after Starbucks on the road, airport lunch, a Mexican networking dinner that included an open margarita bar, and late night hotel munchies (from the 3 margaritas).... I just gave up on logging while I was out of town. LOL.

Anyway, yes I gained some weight after a week of this - 3 pounds. Not too bad. I certainly don't feel guilty or bad about what I ate. I can loose that in two weeks with some extra trips to the gym. I just look at the big picture -- One week of bad eating is not going to derail the months of good eating and exercise I have been doing. I consider it my unplanned diet vacation. :)
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    @ceiswyn Same here! The time I hated food the most was when I was binge eating. Appreciating food and loving the nutrition it has to give (along with lots of therapy, ha) has helped significantly reduce the craving to binge eat for me.

I think it also helps that I have stopped making myself eat things I don't actually like because "it's healthy" or "it's low calorie". I suspect that learning to eat food even if you're not enjoying it is a bit counterproductive. These days, if I find myself craving pizza, I find a slice of pizza that fits into my calorie goals; as opposed to my past strategy of eating something 'healthy', barely tasting it, and carrying right on craving pizza!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

I think it also helps that I have stopped making myself eat things I don't actually like because "it's healthy" or "it's low calorie". I suspect that learning to eat food even if you're not enjoying it is a bit counterproductive. These days, if I find myself craving pizza, I find a slice of pizza that fits into my calorie goals; as opposed to my past strategy of eating something 'healthy', barely tasting it, and carrying right on craving pizza!

We are like, food twins! I do the same thing. I appreciate a diverse enough set of food to get all of my nutritional needs without forcing myself to eat something that I dislike (like mushrooms, eugh).
  • annaclaireblack
    annaclaireblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You still ate the calories, even if you didn't gain weight. You might just gain in 2 weeks instead, or not lose that week. What you eat doesn't have a direct repercussion on the scale... but the calories don't disappear.

I don't understand the first part. I could gain weight in 2 week from last night?

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I don't understand the first part. I could gain weight in 2 week from last night?

Weight loss isn't linear. With water retention and whatnot, it can take a while for fat changes to register. Besides, OP might have lost half a pound that day, for all I know... except it didn't happen because he overate.
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    kpkitten wrote: »
    Hoshiko wrote: »

Has it happened to you or anyone you know?

You know it's not different from the concept of learning from one's mistakes. Learning history. If you can't feel or realize past mistake's impact, you'll repeat it.

Not the person quoted but I have, and those people are called anorexics. Feeling bad about food is usually not a helpful thing.

Let me try to understand you correctly. You know first hand of people who have gone from overweight to being anorexics?

That's a very long distance to go, or even if possible. You may aim for the moon but likely all you can reach is the hill and you know you are on the hill if it happens.

However, the continuous, repetitive, destructive overeating in overweight folks is very real and all too common. Worrying about becoming anorexics is too much of putting the cart before the horse.

Anorexia doesn't just affect slim people. In fact, with all the pressure on overweight people to lose it, I wouldn't be surprised if it affects more overweight/obese people than already slim - it's just ignorance like this that leads to it going undiagnosed.
    You can be 400lbs and anorexic, all it means is that you dramatically reduce your food intake to the point of eating barely anything in an attempt to lose weight.

That would be some other disorder.

Anorexia (an-o-REK-see-uh) nervosa — often simply called anorexia — is an eating disorder characterized by an abnormally low body weight, intense fear of gaining weight and a distorted perception of body weight. People with anorexia place a high value on controlling their weight and shape, using extreme efforts that tend to significantly interfere with activities in their lives.

To prevent weight gain or to continue losing weight, people with anorexia usually severely restrict the amount of food they eat. They may control calorie intake by vomiting after eating or by misusing laxatives, diet aids, diuretics or enemas. They may also try to lose weight by exercising excessively.

I suspect as much.

A quick research on anorexia shows a long list of complex symptoms, diagnosed by qualified professionals. But leave it to Interweb people to pain it with a broadest stroke as "all it means is that you dramatically reduce your food intake ..." ...uhh...ridiculous.

I'm not surprised that such tendency in viewpoint produces unwarranted fear and nonsensical connection... Fearmongering much?