Warning about strength training

It can lead to severe embarrassment....Today after a full body work out with my personal trainer, I decided to bring my dogs for a walk. 6pm, rush hour traffic on the road. You probably know where this is going. I was sore prior to leaving the house (arms, back and shoulders were weak). Anyways, another dog approaches growling, my two dogs try to protect me. Me having no strength in my arms and shoulders to hold back my dogs, ends up face planting the ground, cutting my hands and knuckles, swelling to both knees and a getting a deep laceration to one of my knees. Currently in bed, dosed on pain relief, throbbing knees and hands and a bruised ego. Moral of the story... Don't leave your house after a heavy session!!!!

Anyone else experience any horrors following strength training?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I caught a double hitter for baseball the afternoon/night after a squat PR the morning of last summer. Ended up getting a ricochet foul ball off my cup the size of a watermelon on my inside thigh.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    One time in college I was asked to join a pick up basketball game about an hour after upper body day. The 1st time I went to shoot and air balled it by 5 ft I knew I was in trouble. Passing, dribbling, (I stopped shooting) took so much more effort because my arms were shot.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Last Saturday I had my heavy deadlift workout in the morning. In the afternoon we had my daughter's birthday party at a climbing wall. I climbed and actually did decently but I have never been so completely exhausted. I'm pretty sure that I nodded off in the car on the way home and I definitely was dead to the world as soon as I lay down on the couch once we got home.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I can't count the number of times i stumbled in the parking lot trying to get in/out of my car after a rough leg session.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Last Saturday I had my heavy deadlift workout in the morning. In the afternoon we had my daughter's birthday party at a climbing wall. I climbed and actually did decently but I have never been so completely exhausted. I'm pretty sure that I nodded off in the car on the way home and I definitely was dead to the world as soon as I lay down on the couch once we got home.

Could you lift your arms the next day? Mine would have fallen off!!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    No.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Nope. I quite often do maximal effort power lifting days immediately followed by 8-10 hour shifts of labour intensive work
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    After a heavy leg session (long time ago when I was younger), I was washing dishes in my kitchen when my quads started to quiver with such an intensity that I ended kneeling on the kitchen floor and barely holding to the front of the sink. My oldest boy came running thinking that I was passing out (not far from the truth) and helped me up and walked me toward a chair. The next day, my glutes started to go on fire and using the toilet was a torture.

It took me several days to recovery, and I told the trainer never to put me in that situation again.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    After a grip-heavy workout, I tried to go grocery shopping for a couple of things. I didn't use a basket or a cart and proceeded to fumble everything in my arms. Several times before getting to the till. Ha ha.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Anyone else experience any horrors following strength training?

bike. hill. legs.

• stasia215
    stasia215 Posts: 7 Member
    I opened a door after arm workout but way too hard and door slam echoed in the parking garage so loud that the other guy behind me leaving from gym got startled and thought I was pissed. Oops
  • JoJosAnatomymfp
    JoJosAnatomymfp Posts: 178 Member
    Haha. Some classics in there. I'm away off to the doctor in an hour to show my war wounds. I think I need stitches in my knee. Who knew trimming up would be so dangerous.
  • Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    A long time ago I went to school the day after a strength session and decided during gymnastics class that I felt confident enough to jump over the buck with a springboard. So far so good, but the next exercise was jumping over the buck using a springboard, landing in a trampoline and subsequently jumping over a tall block. Apparently my legs were still sore and I couldn't balance properly, so instead of jumping forward I jumped backwards and twisted sideways, so I landed on my left buttock underneath the buck. Needless to say I ended up getting a massive bruise and couldn't do leg training for a couple of weeks afterwards. It bruised my ego too.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Well just walking to the bathroom at work after leg day is an embarrassment.