May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• swingsnatchlift
    swingsnatchlift Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    gianna42 wrote: »
    Would love to join this challenge. My goal for May is to start the 5K to 10K training program, so I don't have a mileage goal.

@gianna42 I'm a new runner as well. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @luvmy4sps welcome! a 25 mile goal is great, especially with the walking and other exercising that you do.
  • radioraven
    radioraven Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My May workout goal is 100 miles, walking and running.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Joining the challenge with a May goal of zero miles, but I am here for moral support. Just going to work towards doing all I can to strengthen these hamstrings back into shape and cure this tendinopathy for good. I am planning on starting P90X3 today and also going to join a gym this week for cross training.

Welcome to all of the new members. Great to see you back @kristinegift! Awesome new HM PR too. I can't wait to see all of the great things you guys accomplish this month!!
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    First run of May: 4 miles in 50 minutes. 12.32 pace.

I didn't push hard. No walkies. Just a steady pace with a few minutes moderate incline on the dreadmill.

No so bad so nice I've been sulking for the past three weeks because it's cold here, mucky and the bears are out so I'm not outside running like I'd prefer.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    Okay. :)
    Since I'm back home in northern Canada and the black bears are out of hibernation and a neighbour down our road has a nasty dog, I'm stuck on the dreadmill... already I'm longing for my community running path in Arizona where I spend my winters. :'(

Whereabouts are you @Lynzdee18 ? I'm in a "wild-ish" part of Alberta (lol) and I still get out almost on the daily if it makes you feel any better. Maybe see if you can find a good trail running group in your area! I'm grateful for mine when I want to run areas on bear advisory (read: Wilmore, always Wilmore -_- )

@Lynzdee18 I agree with @JessicaMcB If you can find a Running Group in your area ( check FB for "Running Insert your Town Name here" ) As a fellow wild-ish - Northern AB runner we go out on the trails all the time - just sing a little. Our local ski-hill ( Misery Mtn ) has it's own resident Female Bear with cubs and she has learned that we are not a threat and just ignores us or shuffles off into the nearest Bush - we don't chase-bug her and she no longer worries about us. Welcome to Runners Anonymous.

@kristinegift Glad to see you back.
    @lporter229 Good to know you will be Lurking around to keep us honest.
    @MNLittleFinn Good call on recognizing that you lose pace control when tired. We have to self analyze to recognize are weakness and then work on it. Many an injury has occurred because we don't know how to Look In the Mirror.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

I just started running last fall. Did my first 5k mid March.

I'm in. Starting gradually. I'll try three 5k runs a week for May. So I guess that's 60k.

Since I'm back home in northern Canada and the black bears are out of hibernation and a neighbour down our road has a nasty dog, I'm stuck on the dreadmill... already I'm longing for my community running path in Arizona where I spend my winters. :'(

Whereabouts are you @Lynzdee18 ? I'm in a "wild-ish" part of Alberta (lol) and I still get out almost on the daily if it makes you feel any better. Maybe see if you can find a good trail running group in your area! I'm grateful for mine when I want to run areas on bear advisory (read: Wilmore, always Wilmore -_- )

Hi! I'm in northern Manitoba.

I'm trying to find running partners here. I know of two who live here in our lake subdivision, but they have lots more miles in than I do and I think I'd hold them up. I could go the 11 km into town to run at the school track, or the boardwalk by the lake and maybe I'll do that...... I'm planning three times a week so it's not too often to drive in.

My husband just laughs at me about the bears, but I'd never relax with that thought in my head...I'd be running tense and we know how that works.... :s
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options

I just started running last fall. Did my first 5k mid March.

I'm in. Starting gradually. I'll try three 5k runs a week for May. So I guess that's 60k.

Hi! I'm in northern Manitoba.

I'm trying to find running partners here. I know of two who live here in our lake subdivision, but they have lots more miles in than I do and I think I'd hold them up. I could go the 11 km into town to run at the school track, or the boardwalk by the lake and maybe I'll do that...... I'm planning three times a week so it's not too often to drive in.

My husband just laughs at me about the bears, but I'd never relax with that thought in my head...I'd be running tense and we know how that works.... :s

There was a bear in my neighborhood last year and I saw him/her once on my early morning run. It was going through the recycle garbage - probably something left in a bottle or can. I heard the bear before I saw it -- heard all these bottles/cans making noise. When I realized what it was, it looked right at me and then ran towards the woods. I turned around and ran the other way. I didn't go down that particular street for at least a month. From what my neighbors have said, the Florida black bears are afraid of noise and lights. The only problem could be if you happen across a baby and the mom is close by. So I make a lot of noise and have a lot of lights while running in the dark! But I know you have a lot more bears in Canada and they probably are different than the Florida ones.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @iofred - congratulations! LOVE the bling! What a cute cow. That's awful about thinking you are just about done and then do a half lap!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Well, after being sick all last week, just walking felt exhausting to me this morning, but I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things this week. Still got a post-nasal drip but other than that I seem to be on the mend. Family birthday dinner out tonight, so running may have to wait until tomorrow. I haven't run since last Sunday, so 8 days.

I don't think I'm going to be setting any mileage goals any time soon. Right now it's just about not falling completely off the wagon. We are still in the process of trying to get my husband's health under control. Surgery consult tomorrow and waiting for some rest results, etc. I can't believe this has been going on since last Fall. He's been pretty good lately though about at least not complaining when I do go run :)
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Starting the month with a rest day! :p My May goal is same as April, 100 km. As I will be doing weightlifting as well so it should be tougher than April.
  • springtimez
    springtimez Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Starting to prepare for half marathon! Goal is to run 3 half marathon this fall. I am in for 50 miles.