May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    Hey all... looking to join this challenge for the first time. I ran my 1st HM a week ago and looking for a good post-HM maintenance plan. I would like to cut my running down from 5 to 4 days a week and stay in the 18-24 miles/wk range. I plan on running some more races later this year, but don't currently have any picked out... just want to stay in good running condition for a month or two until I do.

So, my goal is 80 miles this month.

Congrats on finishing your first half! If you don't already do any strength training, I would suggest adding it in to your maintenance plan. I think most runners will tell you that strength training goes a long way in preventing running injuries. It can sometimes be difficult to keep up with it while you are in a training cycle because it can add to your fatigue, so now is the ideal time to make it a point of focus.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Wow! So much has happened since I last checked in this morning! :sunglasses:

Welcome back @kristinegift!!! :smile:

Way to go on your first HM @iofred!

Welcome to all of the new runners joining in! There are quite a few this month, so this should be an exciting month!

My first run was a little bit of a slog. It was a planned 8 miler that I expected to go uneventfully or even easy. It was cold out today, cloudy, drizzling, and winds 15 to 20 mph with wind chill of 35 degrees. So I dressed appropriately. As I pushed through those first couple miles I wondered to myself why it felt harder to run today. I figured it had to be the weather. Then I realized I never had any coffee or anything, and had planned to do this as a fueled run but here it was a fasted run due to the hustle and bustle of the morning. So that was another factor.

I was able to make the distance, and even made it in a very nice time, particularly since I felt like I was moving like a snail. So I guess it was a good run that just felt like a bad run. :smile: I feel much better now, of course. :wink:

5/1 - 8 miles

8 of 180 miles completed

exercise.png

• rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    rusgolden wrote: »
    Hey all... looking to join this challenge for the first time. I ran my 1st HM a week ago and looking for a good post-HM maintenance plan. I would like to cut my running down from 5 to 4 days a week and stay in the 18-24 miles/wk range. I plan on running some more races later this year, but don't currently have any picked out... just want to stay in good running condition for a month or two until I do.

So, my goal is 80 miles this month.

Congrats on finishing your first half! If you don't already do any strength training, I would suggest adding it in to your maintenance plan. I think most runners will tell you that strength training goes a long way in preventing running injuries. It can sometimes be difficult to keep up with it while you are in a training cycle because it can add to your fatigue, so now is the ideal time to make it a point of focus.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, before I started running about a year ago, strength training and walking was about all I did. When I started training for the HM, I cut my lifting workouts down to 2 days a week, so planning on 3 days a week now as well as some flex workouts... trying to regain some balance in my workouts. I think mainly I'm trying to figure out what my long runs should be... was thinking about topping out at 8 miles for my long run?? Any suggestions for intervals or tempo runs? If I am doing just straight runs, I was thinking something like this: Wk 1-4/4/4/6, Wk 2-4/6/3/7, Wk 3-3/5/4/6, Wk 4-5/6/3/8. It's so much easier when I just have an app tell me what I'm supposed to do! :wink:

exercise.png
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    iiasok6 wrote: »
    I have walked a color run and a bubble run before. ill be faking my way through a rugged maniac race on May 6th and for this challenge since I have pretty much never run before I'm gonna set low goal of 40 miles this month

I did a Rugged Maniac with my stepdaughter, it was a blast! It was very hot though, so the water obstacles were welcomed. Have fun in the race and good luck!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    5/1 5.5mi 53:51min (interval run)

Today was an interval run which I did on the treadmill. I find it easier to maintain a specific pace on the treadmill. Tomorrow is a 5 mile run.
  • Deagul360
    Deagul360 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in for sure. Gonna start small with 60 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I hate when I make plans to test out new shoes on a run, and then they get delayed in shipping and I have to figure it out. I REALLY wanted to wear my new shoes tomorrow, for a short run, to see if I wanted to try them on my 19 miler on Saturday... They were supposed to arrive today.... Shipment delayed until tomorrow. Nos the question is, try them out on my 9 mile tempo run on Wednesday, and then possibly wear them, on Saturday, just go for it and wear them for 19 miles on Saturday, or put testing off until next week?

LOL, marathon training has me over thinking everything.