Keto life

Options
elizarizo
elizarizo Posts: 489 Member
Would love to follow anyone that is doing keto! I'm fairly new to it, and have already had major success with it!

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Follow me! I'm not doing strict keto (I'm trying to get 20-50g of net carbs per day) but I too have had great success so far!
  • elizarizo
    Options
    Awesome! Followed:)
  • happystars1982
    happystars1982 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Keto but weighed in after my first week and gained half a pound praying it's just my confused body
  • elizarizo
    Options
    Oh no ! Did you make sure your macros are right?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try the Low Carber Daily. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group Lots of active loggers there (I don't log much anymore).
  • elizarizo
    Options
    Thanks so much
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Keto but weighed in after my first week and gained half a pound praying it's just my confused body

Definitely read up on the material in the group linked above. Not everyone loses a ton of weight the first week. The first few weeks can sometimes look like an EKG reading but that doesn't mean it isn't helping you. There could be other things going on.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I am doing high protein, moderate fat (the forward thinking/current keto "fad") and its worked TREMENDOUSLY better for me than high fat keto.

I don't track on MFP though.

That said, feel free to add me.
  • elizarizo
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    I am doing high protein, moderate fat (the forward thinking/current keto "fad") and its worked TREMENDOUSLY better for me than high fat keto.

What do you track on??
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Eating too much protein can kick a person out of ketosis so I would be interested to see some evidence of how a high protein/moderate carb diet would allow someone to enter ketosis.
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Eating too much protein can kick a person out of ketosis so I would be interested to see some evidence of how a high protein/moderate carb diet would allow someone to enter ketosis.

Exactly! You wouldn't be in ketosis doing that. High levels of protein causes the body to produce insulin. Plus, protein isn't a good source for sustained energy, so I wouldn't use that as my main intake. Sounds like you are doing more of the Atkins diet, although that tends to be high fat and high protein.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Here's a good read on protein during ketosis, to get out of the 1980s keto mindset.
    Mind you, it doesn't advocate the 1980s bodybuilder protein mindset either, but a reasonable .8-1.2 ratio. I use about 1g / lb lean mass myself. (ughhh i hate mixing metric and imperial.)

https://ketogains.com/wp-content/cache/page_enhanced/ketogains.com//2016/05/protein-over-consumption-ketosis//_index.html_gzip

You 'enter into ketosis' the same way you do in any ketogenic diet - by restriction of carbohydrate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think saying "high protein" confused people. I do about 1g/lb of LBM, but don't think of that as high protein. It works out to about 25% of total calories on a deficit, maybe less.
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    elizarizo wrote: »
    Would love to follow anyone that is doing keto! I'm fairly new to it, and have already had major success with it!

You may also follow me. I am not strict keto..between 20 per day or less usually.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think saying "high protein" confused people. I do about 1g/lb of LBM, but don't think of that as high protein. It works out to about 25% of total calories on a deficit, maybe less.

That's what I do, too. I've been at 25% protein for a while.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I started keto two weeks ago but I already love it. Feel free to follow me, although I am still learning as I go but I do a lot of research and input as many recipes as I can to make it easier on myself.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Peter Attia used to be high protein and he found it affected ketosis somewhat. I believe he was well over 200g of protein. I am not sure what his macro was though.

If one is not pursuing ketones for health benefits, then LCHP works quite well. It is often the LC that helps some people. Protein Power and the Calorie Myth are bothe based on LCHP. The old 1970's Atkins was pretty high protein too.
  • hairdezinet
    hairdezinet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just went to a lecture on ketogenic eating and would like to implement it along with my juicing practices. First trying to set up macro goals and wondering if anybody has a suggestionn as to what those numbers should look like?
  • carbkiller1971
    carbkiller1971 Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3 Keto
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Currently running keto to get in show condition, love the results, bodies changing daily. Feel free to follow, bear in mind I don't bother logging my veg.