Drinking....the Bain of my weight loss

Options
124»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking more wine/beer again and it's messing up my diet.

The calories are empty and have to be made up by "real" food or else I feel hungry late at night and have to sneak in a cheat meal before I go to sleep. End result is that I go over my cal limit and I've started to gain weight.

Got this far by totally eliminating alcohol from my diet and looks like I'm going to have to eliminate it entirely from my diet again. Oh well . . .
  • Easy_Does_It
    Easy_Does_It Posts: 14 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    All this talk of drinking is making me thirsty. Can it be Friday already? Love my whiskey neat.
  • Jimbolaya64
    Jimbolaya64 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Guinness Stout - 125 calories per 12 oz. Pretty close to Coors or Bud lite!
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just got some vodka in an effort to quit the wine. Also quit drinking nightly and now indulge 2 - 3 times a week. None of this has made a difference to my progress though, which is very disappointing!
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Shots of titos and Michelob ultras for me!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It's so hard. I love drinking, but it does give me the munchies.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds in 18 months while drinking beer, wine, and my favorite - bourbon. I just counted the calories and left room for them.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I am a binge drinker rather than a moderator so I limit it to a few times a year lol The drinking isn't so bad but the food choices once I'm drunk are VERY sketchy lol
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I guess you'll have to decide which of weight loss or drinking is more important to you!
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I drink heavily maybe twice per year. Mostly, probably because I do drink so sparingly, I'm really not good with hang-overs. Hangovers are not worth it to me. They put me out of commission for at least one or two days, severely dehydrate me, etc. I've found that these episodes lead to me not eating for an entire 24 hrs after due to being sick so that balances out the caloric surplus from the night before. On the upside, drinking sparingly means you become quite the cheap drunk. A couple drinks at the bar and you have a nice buzz :)

I am the opposite when hungover, I want to eat EVERYTHING particularly salty carby food and sugary drinks. Not what I need after already consuming all those alcohol calories.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I too like to drink. Michelob Ultra is my choice, and I have lost almost 50 pounds. Just need to make sure you have room for the calories...... Take away my beer and somebodies going to get hurt :p
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    cbmarble wrote: »
    I love some craft beer (never really been a wine drinker), so I'd love some recommendations on some low(er) calorie beers. Can't make myself drink Mich Ultra.

I love calorie beer also :lol: but I drink to much and thats an issue :neutral:
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Low*
  • kclewis416
    kclewis416 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    100% my issue and I know I would have that flat tummy if I just stopped drinking all together but I just need some sort of vice.

I do not drink Mon-Thur, but then drink Fri-Sun. Easily 2 bottles of wine on the weekend and or a few glasses of gin and a splash of tonic (a can of tonic could easily make 5-6 drinks for me)

I always make sure I eat before I drink since after I start drinking, eating is the last thing on my mind, ever!.

I stay at 1200 calories Mon-Thurs and do weights Mon-Thurs, with weekend being spent on gardening, walks with the kids, none stop house work during the days and if I am lucky a good 3-4 hours of dancing every other Saturday night.

I have been steadily losing 1-1.5 lbs per month even with the above. Food is not a struggle for me though and I am consistent with my workouts.

I do not see myself cutting back too much on the drinking any time soon.
  • myname20
    myname20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I also lost weight while I was drinking on Saturdays. I just always "ignore" the calories coming from alcohol. Maybe my progress would be better If I didnt - who knows - but I am not ready to quit yet. Have to mention that I mostly drink beer, wine or vodka/gin/whiskey + light cola, not some sugary cocktails. I also think that alcohol is not so dangerous, its the hunger that comes with it and the food choices you make when you are tipsy or drunk. Thats why I dont eat while drinking :smile:
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    This may be weird but I love gin and diet ginger ale.

Also delicious but must be made with real Coke to be good is Kraken Rum and Coke. So good- I just don't like drinking full calorie soda often so I don't keep the stuff around.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have cut out alcohol almost entirely simply because it has derailed me so much in the past. It's not so much the calories of the alcohol itself, it's the stupid decisions I make while under the influence, be it food decisions or otherwise.

I just turned 30, so I am getting a little long in the tooth to be tying one on every weekend anyway. I would say that my days of waking up next to some hunchback girl the next morning with a couple empty pizza boxes by my bedside are about over.

At the end of the day, the alcohol is just not worth it to me anymore.