Sugar Addict needs support

Options
So, I have dieted successfully before, but over the years the weight has crept back... Especially since a major injury and surgery on my foot. This time I am trying to be healthier in regard to my sugar intake as I lose weight. I'm also trying to eat low to moderate carbs each day. I am having MAJOR sugar withdrawal. I know it may sound ridiculous to some of you, but I feel like I'm absolutely going nuts sometimes wanting something sweet. I feel so agitated. I have managed to keep the sugar and carbs low the past several days, but what do I do when I want it so badly I can't stand it. I wonder if this is what drug addicts and alcoholics feel when they try to quit. I literally felt ill the first couple of nights when I went to bed. Is this normal? The problem is, I can't avoid sugar. It is EVERYWHERE. Even sweet little old ladies at church give it to my children. I know I can lose weight without limiting it so much because I have before. I want to be healthier though. Sugar not only turns into fat but it is hard on our livers and kidneys, and I already have a rare, autoimmune liver disease. Any tips?? I feel like I need to join a "Sugar Addicts Support Group."

Replies

• getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I know of a Swedish blogger who considers herself a sugar addict and she too often talks about how it can be compared to alcoholism. For her the only thing that helped was to go strict LCHF. She's been very successful that way and finds the community a big help too I believe. She has the kind of all or nothing personality that lends itself to that kind of lifestyle though. I don't think we all work that way. I know for me, if I thought I couldn't have sugar for the rest of my life I wouldn't be able to get past that and it would stress me enough to eventually make me throw in the towel.

It sounds like you just need to figure out how to get yourself in a deficit and not really worry about the rest unless you're like the woman I mentioned above, who could lock herself in her flat and binge on chocolate and syrup for days until she had to go to the emergency room. With some exercise and the right food there will be room in your day and diary for the odd bit of chocolate or whatever you need to stay sane. :)

If you want to cut down a bit on sugar while you're at it I think that's great and my top tips would be to substitute some of the sugary snacks with berries such as raspberries and strawberries. Greek yoghurt with agave syrup, blueberries and some cinnamon is heaven and Lindt does an amazing 85% dark chocolate with only 19g sugar per 100g. One or two squares with a cup of coffee will totally satisfy my sugar cravings in the evenings.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If reducing your sugar intake is important to you, then go for it. It might be easier for you if you try to make a slow reduction rather than going cold turkey, though.

I love me some sugar, but I find that it isn't sugar on its own that gets me. It's the combination of sugar with yummy stuff like carbs and fats, e.g. baked goods. I try to limit those foods and don't worry so much about the sugar content of other things, like condiments.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    All macros turn to fat if you are in a caloric surplus; the opposite is true if you are in a defict. You are no more healthy for avoiding sugar unless you are diabetic.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Do you have diabetese or blood sugar issues? If you don't have why demonized sugar and carbs? Sugar and carbs isn't bad, But regulating maybe wiser. I always have sugar and carbs while i'm losing weight and I successfully made it, keep a deficit theres no magic in low carb thr deficit will do the job in weight loss
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    Do you have diabetese or blood sugar issues? If you don't have why demonized sugar and carbs? Sugar and carbs isn't bad, But regulating maybe wiser. I always have sugar and carbs while i'm losing weight and I successfully made it, keep a deficit theres no magic in low carb thr deficit will do the job in weight loss

She said she has an "autoimmune liver disease".

In your medical opinion does that qualify as medical reason to restrict and moderate carbohydrates?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    So, I have dieted successfully before, but over the years the weight has crept back... Especially since a major injury and surgery on my foot. This time I am trying to be healthier in regard to my sugar intake as I lose weight. I'm also trying to eat low to moderate carbs each day. I am having MAJOR sugar withdrawal. I know it may sound ridiculous to some of you, but I feel like I'm absolutely going nuts sometimes wanting something sweet. I feel so agitated. I have managed to keep the sugar and carbs low the past several days, but what do I do when I want it so badly I can't stand it. I wonder if this is what drug addicts and alcoholics feel when they try to quit. I literally felt ill the first couple of nights when I went to bed. Is this normal? The problem is, I can't avoid sugar. It is EVERYWHERE. Even sweet little old ladies at church give it to my children. I know I can lose weight without limiting it so much because I have before. I want to be healthier though. Sugar not only turns into fat but it is hard on our livers and kidneys, and I already have a rare, autoimmune liver disease. Any tips?? I feel like I need to join a "Sugar Addicts Support Group."

I avoided this by staying moderate carb rather than attempting low carb. Perhaps tapering down would be easier on you? Might want to peruse the Low Carb group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • crowker
    crowker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Susan.. I empathize with the way you feel and appreciate your humor. I crave sweets too. I am finding as I cut them out and replace my intake with healthy but filling choices, my cravings are going away some and I am more sensitive to things being too sweet which I did not notice before. I have learned that my greatest cravings are between 2-4PM in the afternoon. Somethings that I am doing are:
    - I try to make sure I am not tired esp. between 2-4
    - I try to make sure I have a good satisfying meal at lunch with protein
    - I drink lots of water especially at noon
    - I have almonds as a snack at that time (and precounted out)
    - I try to avoid sweets because I feel like once I start, I have trouble stopping. But if I cannot knock the craving, I cut up Quest Protein bars and use them as a snack at that time
    Good luck on your journey. I hope you discover what works best for you!
  • setzerfan
    setzerfan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm pre-diabetic so I have to watch my carb and sugar intake. The sugar dragon....oh boy...

What finally worked for me was literally not having any sugar in the house. No sugar, no honey. I don't worry about condiments that have sugar in them such as worcestershire sauce or ketchup because I use very little of those kind of things anyway, I only use them when adding a few spoonfuls to recipes. If ketchup, for example, is one of your triggers and you know that you would use too much of it if it's around, then don't have it in the house, period.

It took about 3 weeks to finally stop having sugar cravings (may have been closer to a month). I just powered through. Eating a piece of fruit helps if you're desperate. I'm now at the point where I can drink coffee without sugar (a splash of cream helps - it adds a little bit of sweetness that I wasn't able to detect in cream before). You just have to power through.
  • setzerfan
    setzerfan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Adding to my previous post - restricting my carb intake helped enormously too. Eating too much starch used to spike the sugar cravings badly. Now, that doesn't happen. I can eat a slice of toast or a small portion of rice and not get sugar cravings after. But again, it took several weeks to get to this stage.
  • cprbrat17
    cprbrat17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A tip for trying to ditch so much sugary-ness, just plan on being tired for a couple days. Keep the things that dont have added sugar like apples and fruits. The first three days of ditching a mass amount of sugar suck but after that it starts getting easier.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain - I have tried eating no added sugar but then eating as much fruit (natural sugar) as I wanted. It seemed to help when I did it. I've since fallen off the wagon a bit, but that's my two cents!