May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Great run and awesome job on the PBs :)

@ddmom0811 Humidity :( No wonder your run was awful. Watermelon sounds good and I miss how when I was a kid we bought them roadside out the back of a pickup truck. The area I live in now doesn't allow roadside selling of produce, etc.

I guess I'll try to run this evening. Also need to strength train though. Which is why I should've gotten out of bed to run this morning :/
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Options
    5/1-elliptical for 30 minutes
    5/2-3 miles

Total-3/65miles

I did end up exchanging the socks for a bigger size, but honestly they feel the same as the smaller size, but what ever. I wore the smartwool ones this morning for my run, OMG so comfortable, If i could afford to, id buy 8 more pairs so I could wear them every day, but I can afford $160 in just socks, haha. Im going to try the compression socks this weekend on my long run and see how I like them, the lady helping me exchange them tried to convince me to trade them for another pair of smartwool, but I declined being as a friend picked them out and bought them for me, I wanted to get exactly hat she got me, just in a bigger size

exercise.png
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 P90X3 Agility is one of my favorite workouts ever on DVD! Plus Tony cracks me up, making it more fun. I wish it was around back when I played tennis. The footwork drills are top notch
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    If anyone is curious, I am using some of the moves from this series for strength training:

http://www.runnersworld.com/strength-training/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners

Also some of these for rehabbing my hip:

http://www.runnersworld.com/training-video/the-myrtl-routine

My intention is to do these at least twice a week. I don't want to get injured again any time soon.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have to say that it feels good to be on a regular routine of strength training again. For most of the many years that I had been running, I always did some type of strengthening and yoga along with it. It wasn't until recently that I got caught up in thinking in terms of the number of miles I had to run, that I let the strength training fall to the way side. So here I am, trying to nurse myself back from an injury. I know I will not make that mistake again. I see that there are a lot of new runners here this month, so I just want to stress that point in hopes that it may save at least one of you from falling into the trap of getting too caught up in mileage numbers. Add your miles slowly and don't forget about strengthening and stretching and you will stay injury free!

Agreed! This is exactly what I did too, so some great advice for new runners and the experienced alike.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have to say that it feels good to be on a regular routine of strength training again. For most of the many years that I had been running, I always did some type of strengthening and yoga along with it. It wasn't until recently that I got caught up in thinking in terms of the number of miles I had to run, that I let the strength training fall to the way side. So here I am, trying to nurse myself back from an injury. I know I will not make that mistake again. I see that there are a lot of new runners here this month, so I just want to stress that point in hopes that it may save at least one of you from falling into the trap of getting too caught up in mileage numbers. Add your miles slowly and don't forget about strengthening and stretching and you will stay injury free!

Thanks for this timely accountability reminder! I'm going to have to get back into my stretching and strength training again. With marathon training, I've been hyper focused on getting my runs in, to the detriment of my flexibility and strength.

With my 50k, I'm going to take a different approach, I may have similar mileage (depending on how I plan it) but I'm really going to work on getting my flexibility back, and increase strength, especially core, with the technical running I'll have to do, it will be a must do! I've been lazy in that respect, so I'm looking to change it with the time off from work over the summer.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    May Running Challenge

5/1: 8.69 miles biking, Strength training
    5/2: 4 miles running

Goals:
    Running: 4 / 100
    Cycling: 8.69 / 60

Upcoming Races:

Chicago Spring Half Marathon: May 21 (Registered)
    Run the Rails 5K June 3 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)
    La Sportiva Vail Half Marathon: Jul 22 (Tentative)
    Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon: Oct 1 (Tentative)
    POOP Trail Run (HM) Dec 2

Again, I felt great on my run. Great weather without excessive wind. Just hoping I don't encounter the IT Band soreness afterwards.

I did get my strength training in last night. I think I need to get back to going to BodyPump at least once per week. I definitely need to get more yoga and stretching in. I felt good this morning, but there's been some days where I'm extremely stiff and sore after getting out of bed.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    5/1 5.5mi 53:51min (interval run)
    5/2 5mi 44:35mi

Today's 5 miles felt really good! My pace was a bit faster, but I got stuck at a light and couldn't pause my app. Now I know the heat really affects me because today was 68 with low humidity and a breeze. Great running weather!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @7Lenny7 -Did I miss a post on your ultra this past weekend? Did you do it? how did it go?
  • hvreeland
    hvreeland Posts: 21 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thought my goal might be too lofty...Very impressed by all of yours!

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 thank you very much. Sounds like P90X3 sounds awesome. I did T25 a while back and really liked it. I should probably get it back out and start on the strength training the orthopedic doctor told me to do. Now that Skip is done with track it will give me more time (because that means I'm done with the board for the most part ha ha).
    @7lenny7 can't wait to read about the race, I'm being so jealous over your lower leg muscles...and your purple watch :smile:
    @angmarie28 my daughter wears the same compression socks you have, except hers are more shin height. She loves them, at first she wasn't so sure, but she wears them every time she has a meet and if she doesn't wear them in the meet, she will change into them after for recovery. She wears Swift Wick for practice, but loves those compression socks.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I wear Brooks...it's almost like this guy is talking about me...