!!!!Pasta!!!!

Options
Commander_Keen
Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
So...
There is this guy at work who is a "nutritionist" who says pasta is bad for you, its harder to burn pasta off once its in your system.

1 - Is there anything else other than a calorie is a calorie, that I can say to him, to show him he's full of crap.
2 - Are there any profiles with before and after photo's with pasta in their diets, that have lost tons of weight.
Me personally I lost 10 lbs with pasta in my diet. but I don't think that will cut it.

Any help would be greatly appreciative

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I would personally just let what he says go in one ear and out the other. You've proven that you can lose weight without his "advice", all the while eating pasta. So just let it roll off your back and keep doing what you do. Why the need to prove him wrong?
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I have always had pasta in my diet lost lots of weight
    My story here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10386176/the-story-so-far-healthy-bmi-now-still-not-finished#latest and that was a year ago lost another 6.5 kg since
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    A pasta carbohydrate gram is 4 calories just like any other carbohydrate gram. However, if you refrigerate the cooked pasta for 12 hours the pasta becomes resistant to digestion in your stomach and small intestine, effectively becoming 0 calories for you, the human, and 4 calories for the bacteria of your biome living in your large intestine. The paste becomes a pre-biotic food.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It amazes me how people point to just one thing and say "this is good or this is bad" our bodies are so much more complex than anyone realizes and its silly to think that doing just one thing over another will make any difference.

But agree with everyone else, don't pay any attention to it, if what you are doing is working and, more importantly, you feel good and healthy, then everything else is noise.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My background is Italian so pasta is a huge staple in our family.. a few times a week. I haven't had any issues with weightloss.. I also bulk with lots of pasta, sugar, carbs you name it in my diet and my fat gains have been pretty minimal to say the least.

But ya I would just ignore it. Or tell him to book a trip to Italy to see for himself what people look like who eat pasta regularly :D
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    A health 'coach' told me last week that it's harder for your body to absorb carbs from cold pasta. The recommended that I cook said pasta and put it in the fridge and eat it cold vs hot...
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious. Ask what ingredient in pasta is it that makes it so harmful? I bet he doesn't know what most pasta is made of.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    People in Italy have been eating pasta and bread frequently for ages. The difference is they tend to eat it in smaller portions and live a more active lifestyle. Just like people in Japan eat rice and noodles. And there are probably plenty of other traditional cultures you can think of that have evil carbs as a foundation of their diet. The variable is in volume and lifestyle.
  • tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta at least 5 times a week maybe that's why I am fat
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    AgidGirl wrote: »
    A health 'coach' told me last week that it's harder for your body to absorb carbs from cold pasta. The recommended that I cook said pasta and put it in the fridge and eat it cold vs hot...

^ That's a new one! :D
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    AgidGirl wrote: »

I remember reading about that awhile ago. Supposedly when you cook a starchy carb and then refrigerate it, it forms some I think it was called resistant starches, which supposedly almost act like insoluble fiber and go right through your digestive system. I doubt it makes a measurable difference, but if it means I can call my pasta and potato salad healthy, I'm in :)
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It's harder for me to burn off pasta because I have a tendency to eat it in large quantities with lots of butter, cream and cheese. And when I'm eating cold pasta for the resistant starch, I tend to eat it in the form of a macaroni salad with tons of mayo or something similar, also in overly large quantities. This may possibly be a self control issue and not necessarily entirely the fault of the pasta itself.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    tsortsor wrote: »
    I eat pasta at least 5 times a week maybe too many calories that's why I am fat

Fixed it for you.

With calories held equal, pasta is no more fattening than any other carb source.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I have a similar "nutritionist" in my office. I just silently eyeroll and continue on lol Annoying af tho
  • tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    tsortsor wrote: »
    I eat pasta at least 5 times a week maybe too many calories that's why I am fat

Fixed it for you.

With calories held equal, pasta is no more fattening than any other carb source.

Thanks dad
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    A pasta carbohydrate gram is 4 calories just like any other carbohydrate gram. However, if you refrigerate the cooked pasta for 12 hours the pasta becomes resistant to digestion in your stomach and small intestine, effectively becoming 0 calories for you, the human, and 4 calories for the bacteria of your biome living in your large intestine. The paste becomes a pre-biotic food.

Umm.... I'm​ having a little trouble believing that refrigerating cooked pasta for twelve hours magically makes it calorie-free. Care to share some peer reviewed articles proving this? I'd love to read them.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'd take ramen and eat it in front of him daily :D