Do people try to tell you your weight goal is "too skinny" for you?

Options

Replies

• FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Quick BMI, 21.9. I wouldn't say that is too thin. If you were aiming for a BMI of 19, it might be a little too much. Right around 22 is a great place to be.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    No, but I don't share my goal weight with anybody. I don't have an actual number goal weight anyway. In the beginning my goal was to get to a healthy weight and everything after that is based on how much jiggling goes on in certain places.

All of this.

I have gotten "you aren't trying to lose more are you" and I just smile and say "just working on fitness" or something vague. It's no one's business and most people are terrible at understanding what weights and heights together look like, especially given all the variation.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get people who tell me I'm too skinny now. Please. And it's usually the people who are overweight telling me I'm already thin or I'll be too thin when I hit my goal weight. I could care less, it makes me more motivated honestly.
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and maintaining at just under 140 (I usually bounce between 138-139). Get there and see how you feel. If you don't like it because YOU feel that you look too thin, then bulk up a little bit or add some muscle (what I'm working on now). If you feel that it's still not enough, go for more. Point being - get to a point where YOU are happy and comfortable, and most importantly, healthy!
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes, but if your BMI is in a good range and you feel and look good, then that particular weight should be fine. People thought my goal of 135 lbs. at 5'8 was too low, but it looks alright to me... which is my current pic. <--- Now it's time to gain muscle. I wouldn't worry about other people's opinions. Your goal weight is definitely not too light.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Most of the people in my life now have never seen me at a healthy weight. I am 5'6" and down to 174 now after starting out at 256. My goal is 150, which is the top end of my BMI. I weighed about what I weigh now when I met most of the people in my life, so this is the thinnest I've ever been to them. When I explain I'm aiming for the top end of being barely "normal" and not "overweight" the feedback subsides, but I'm anticipating more opinions on my skinniness to come up over the next few months as I shed the rest of it.

At the end of the day, if I was destined to be my current weight for the rest of my life, I could deal with it. I would really love live my life as a "normal" weight person, though.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    No, but I don't share my goal weight with anybody. I don't have an actual number goal weight anyway. In the beginning my goal was to get to a healthy weight and everything after that is based on how much jiggling goes on in certain places.

All of this.

I have gotten "you aren't trying to lose more are you" and I just smile and say "just working on fitness" or something vague. It's no one's business and most people are terrible at understanding what weights and heights together look like, especially given all the variation.

Same here.

When my doctor told me that it wasn't necessary to lose any more weight and I was still planning to, I told her that I wanted to lose some vanity body fat and that it would have the benefit of improving my running performance. She was fine with that, and that's all that really matters.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I keep my weight loss goals to myself. I don't get commentary. Win/win.

This. I don't see it as anyone's business, either, so I don't make it their business by telling them. No one needs to know but me and maybe my doctor.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    People already tell me that I'm too thin and need to eat more/stop dieting. I tell them it's not their business.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hey, there! We're the same height :) I used to share my weight loss goals, but I noticed those that were extremely jealous of any progress did their best to sabotage my efforts with similar statements. I really don't have time for their ignorance, so I don't bring it up anymore. I agree with other folks that only we, ourselves know how our bodies feel. Good luck to you and keep being fabulous. <3
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I get this CONSTANTLY and it drives me up a wall. I was getting comments like this from people when I was 10 lbs heavier than I am NOW.

But here's the thing I've realized:

A lot - a LOT of people who say this are people who have been overweight for so long that they've forgotten what it really means not to be. Just something to keep in mind.

So many crabs in the bucket. I refuse to be one of them.

I have never been told this by someone who is fit, personally. The fit people that I have talked to about fitness, diet and exercise have always been nothing but encouraging of healthy goals and maintaining a weight in the normal range.
  • roboliciousbob
    roboliciousbob Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I get this all the time from my in laws (sister and mother). :-/ it is soooo irritating. I'm shorter than you 5'2.5". I've been told now multiple times(even when I was still deep in the over weight size) that I needed to stop and I shouldn't get any smaller(this was at 145 and believe that's too much for my frame). Then they tell me they thought I was WAY WAY too thin and looked like I had an eating disorder on my wedding day(10 years ago) at 120 lbs. Which honestly is just rude. And further more, I was IN NO WAY anorexic looking, that's still middle normal BMI for my height. I looked fantastic on my wedding day and that's the only thing a person should ever say about a bride(10 years down the road or not). I was at a really really good weight and that is my goal weight. Frankly I've about had it with their comments and I'm gonna lay some truth bombs soon if they keep pressing me. I don't ask for their opinions and frankly it's rude to make negative comments on someone's weight big or not. It just amazes me that when someone has a weightloss people seem to think it makes it okay to dictate to another person what a good weight or size is for them.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    WakkoW wrote: »
    My weight is between me, my doctor, the DMV, and MFP.

Who else needs to know?

You tell the truth to the DMV??

I lied to the DMV by ~ 30 lbs.

Now that I've lost 90, it really looks wrong.

But I still am obese so, no I don't have the problem of people telling me to stop losing weight yet.
  • Risssika
    Risssika Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm the same hight and currently 108 Ibs, a bit too less, they tell. But I think that for our hight 140 or even the less 120 is quite ok. On the other hand, others may look batter in 160 Ibs. It depends on person, so don't listen to omniscient people and go to the weight that you feel comfortable and - what's the most important - healthy ;)