Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think obese/overweight people should pay more for health insurance?

Options

Replies

• MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Right... so you won't mind being one of those who waits for 4 years for a hip replacement, I assume.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Not if metrics like bp, a1C, cholesterol and triglycerides are at healthy levels. I will probably never be a 25 or lower bmi. Because of that I do pay higher insurance than others. Here is the funny part, they may have a lower bmi but I eat healthier, workout, walk and am generally much more active than they are.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    I do think they should pay more but not if they are overweight , just obese. I do think it is fair but I also feel there should be more incentives offered to motivate people. I have fought for my health benefits to pay for gym memberships but the issue is that they don't know how they would monitor it and it is possible that everyone would sign up and not go . They do offer courses that give me "wellness credits" that I can apply for gym memberships, running shoes , sports equipment etc but I can only accumulate around $ 140 or so a year . Its better than nothing

Some divisions of my company did this for a while. It was a cluster *kitten*, not fair and dropped. In our case, to get up to a $30 reimbursement you had to have front desk person at the club sign a form or provide a monthly printout of your check in times. If you went 8 times during the month and provided proof you got the $. Of course now way of telling what anyone did there. Someone spending 20 minutes on an elliptical twice a week was getting a benefit, but someone running 5 miles a day outside was most likely in better shape and got no benefit.

I'm a cyclist. I like doing a 40 to 50 mile ride on the weekends when I have time to drive my bike somewhere scenic and away from city traffic. Our corporate wellness program has a step challenge every summer. :confused:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    I do think they should pay more but not if they are overweight , just obese. I do think it is fair but I also feel there should be more incentives offered to motivate people. I have fought for my health benefits to pay for gym memberships but the issue is that they don't know how they would monitor it and it is possible that everyone would sign up and not go . They do offer courses that give me "wellness credits" that I can apply for gym memberships, running shoes , sports equipment etc but I can only accumulate around $ 140 or so a year . Its better than nothing

Some divisions of my company did this for a while. It was a cluster *kitten*, not fair and dropped. In our case, to get up to a $30 reimbursement you had to have front desk person at the club sign a form or provide a monthly printout of your check in times. If you went 8 times during the month and provided proof you got the $. Of course now way of telling what anyone did there. Someone spending 20 minutes on an elliptical twice a week was getting a benefit, but someone running 5 miles a day outside was most likely in better shape and got no benefit.

I'm a cyclist. I like doing a 40 to 50 mile ride on the weekends when I have time to drive my bike somewhere scenic and away from city traffic. Our corporate wellness program has a step challenge every summer. :confused:

That's cool. Our CEO came out at one point and said, the company pays people enough to join a gym, we don't need to pay for that :neutral:
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Insurance Companies base rates on lots of factors, BMI is one of them...tobacco use, age, medications, alcohol use, illnesses, history, etc. Prepare to pay more for your rate.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Knowing what I know about how added body weight increases the risk of developing so many different diseases, the answer is - of course, if you want to make money as an insurance company, you need to charge more for lifestyle choices that might cause you to have to pay out more for claims.

But, it doesn't really matter. In the USA, we don't really have health insurance anymore anyways. We have a bizarre, needlessly expensive, sometimes cruel, cartelized and highly-government-regulated system we call "insurance," but it's really not. And we're not going to have health insurance in the US ever again anyways.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    2wise4u wrote: »
    This is a touchy subject for me because I'm overweight. I'm as healthy as a horse with normal BP and no other health issues but my weight shouldn't require me to pay more for insurance but I can see it from both sides and understand the reasoning behind it if employers did require overweight people to pay more for coverage.

I think if it were a reality and I had to pay more, I'm not sure if it would motivate me to eat like a bird and drop 30 pounds overnight but it would motivate me to work harder than I already am to lose the extra weight.

Great question by the way. It's great to see what people think on this subject.

Oh and as a side note, I work for a large employer in my state and our insurance company just started an incentive program which gives us a break in the cost of our monthly premiums if we voluntarily take part in a program in which we would visit the insurance company's representative, allow them to "screen" us (take blood samples, BP, weight, etc.) and give us feedback on our health and how we can improve it. Call me paranoid but I WOULD NEVER participate in such a program because I value my privacy and don't want the insurance company to come along later and use my voluntarily provided information against me to charge me a higher premium. Just my opinion anyway.

Most likely it's the first step in making the process mandatory, which is the direction a lot of companies are going. Ours started out with incentives and then it transitioned into penalties.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    2wise4u wrote: »
    This is a touchy subject for me because I'm overweight. I'm as healthy as a horse with normal BP and no other health issues but my weight shouldn't require me to pay more for insurance but I can see it from both sides and understand the reasoning behind it if employers did require overweight people to pay more for coverage.

I think if it were a reality and I had to pay more, I'm not sure if it would motivate me to eat like a bird and drop 30 pounds overnight but it would motivate me to work harder than I already am to lose the extra weight.

Great question by the way. It's great to see what people think on this subject.

Oh and as a side note, I work for a large employer in my state and our insurance company just started an incentive program which gives us a break in the cost of our monthly premiums if we voluntarily take part in a program in which we would visit the insurance company's representative, allow them to "screen" us (take blood samples, BP, weight, etc.) and give us feedback on our health and how we can improve it. Call me paranoid but I WOULD NEVER participate in such a program because I value my privacy and don't want the insurance company to come along later and use my voluntarily provided information against me to charge me a higher premium. Just my opinion anyway.

Most likely it's the first step in making the process mandatory, which is the direction a lot of companies are going. Ours started out with incentives and then it transitioned into penalties.

We had some self reported "option" questionnaire we had to fill out quarterly to get a "discount" on our premium. Actually it was a penalty for not choosing the option of filling it out. It was on-line and suppose to be anonymous in that they could tell you filled it out to avoid the penality, but your answers were not identified back to you. I didn't worry about it and just filled it in as reasonably accurately as I could. Knew a lot of people who just filled in what they thought would be good answers.

I guess HR is just tends to be a special kind of stupid whereever you go in Corporate America.
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It isn't fair that healthy people must pay for the bills of the unhealthy. Having said that, there are some considerations.

Someone who is overweight/obese and does not have any irriversable damage due to their weight, can reverse their condition. Many years ago I lost over 50lbs for free by walking in the park daily. I also quit smoking for free by just telling myself NO. It's a slap in my face when someone tells me it's not possible to help yourself and lose weight/quit smoking without spending money.

That said, if a person has developed other medical conditions that restrict their ability to exercise then they do need extra treatment. But what if they are poor or underpaid? What is the solution?

Well, a payment plan percentage should be applicable (nothing is free) but capped. Any additional funds that need to be covered can be by done so by taxed lotteries. Each state should start a lottery that pays for this group. They already tax lotteries to pay for roads and schooling so why not for medical?

Just a thought.