Who watched "fat sick and nearly dead"?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    edited May 2017
    ccaldewey wrote: »
    He's using the term metaphorically, of course.

I watched the documentary and what I took away was that it would be a good way to make sure I'm getting plenty of vegetables each day. I haven't tried it, yet, but I did get a juicer on Amazon for this purpose. I'm also interested to see if it gives me more energy and clarity. Obviously, consuming fewer calories during a fast will result in some weight loss, but so would eating more veggies and less of other things--that is not the reason I'm going to try a short term fast next week.

After some surgeries, physicians will prescribe a liquid diet to give the intestinal tract a rest. I see a juice fast as accomplishing the same thing.

Which physicians would that be? Not MD's
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    I just watched it on Netflix and it was very interesting!!! I'm just genuinely curious- what do you all think of fasting for a few days, does it really help to detoxify or are you doing more harm than good? And won't you just end up gaining that weight back once you go back to your "regular" diet routine?
    Other than that it was really eye opening how big of an issue obesity is and how others see themselves, very interesting!

rebootwithjoe.com/watch-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead/

Here is a non Netflix source I am currently watching on the web. Thanks for posting. I am glad he did it with a doctor watching his process with blood work every 10 days.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    I watched the documentary and what I took away was that it would be a good way to make sure I'm getting plenty of vegetables each day. I haven't tried it, yet, but I did get a juicer on Amazon for this purpose. I'm also interested to see if it gives me more energy and clarity.
    Eating a lot of vegetables is a great idea!

I'm not sure that doing that through juicing is as good an idea though, unless you're also eating the fiber that most juicers separate out and most people discard. (For example you could juice vegetables and use both the juice and the fiber in a soup.) The only reasons I can think of why juicing might be necessary is if someone can't tolerate solid food or has to limit fiber.

Part of the benefit of vegetables for someone who's "fat, sick, and nearly dead" is that whole vegetables are both low-calorie and bulky. They tend to crowd out more calorie-dense foods, making it easier to lose weight. Vegetable juices don't provide the same benefit.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited May 2017
    He's using the term metaphorically, of course.

I watched the documentary and what I took away was that it would be a good way to make sure I'm getting plenty of vegetables each day. I haven't tried it, yet, but I did get a juicer on Amazon for this purpose. I'm also interested to see if it gives me more energy and clarity. Obviously, consuming fewer calories during a fast will result in some weight loss, but so would eating more veggies and less of other things--that is not the reason I'm going to try a short term fast next week.

After some surgeries, physicians will prescribe a liquid diet to give the intestinal tract a rest. I see a juice fast as accomplishing the same thing.

This was my first intro to the concept of juicing and I found it interesting.

What I find interesting is how most all diets can help REBOOT one's health. I accidentally did it when I when Low Carb High Fat without knowing about LCHF.

It seems like the mental intent to REBOOT our health may be as key as the HOW we REBOOT our health.

It was a great video and it pulled together things I have learned about rebooting one's health that I have learned/practiced since 2014.

The truck driver getting of meds that in lead to premature health failure was a big push in his health reboot I expect.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Don't be obtuse: he's using the term metaphorically, of course.

If you've recently had surgery, it would be a prudent idea to follow your doctor's instructions.

If you haven't recently had surgery, there's no rational reason to "give the intestinal tract a rest", any more than there's a rational reason to give your respiratory system a rest from airborne pollutants/"toxins" by not breathing for a few weeks.

Indeed.

I actually just came from visiting a friend of mine who is rehabilitating after surgery. He told me that all he feels like eating is the fruit plate, but that his doctor is forcing him to consume more protein. Today he was trying to get down some salisbury steak.
  • ccaldewey
    ccaldewey Posts: 2 Member
    How about yogurt or eggs rather than a steak?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    How about yogurt or eggs rather than a steak?

My friend? I think he had a yogurt on his plate too, can't say if he ate it. The steak was something he chose based on the menu and what his doctor told him. He told me the food was fine, but nothing seemed appealing in general (but for fruit). Don't know if they had eggs as an option for lunch or if he likes eggs or if his doctor encouraged meat because of it being a more efficient protein source (friend is not a vegetarian); I didn't look at the menu or ask any questions about it. I'm assuming it wasn't unlimited choices given this was a medical facility.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    sydneypo wrote: »
    I can't believe how irked some people get over juicing. I agree it isn't a sustainable meals choice but I do believe the fruits/veggies are a great boost for your system! I do a 7 day cleanse sporadically. Usually to mix up my meals or because buying bags of fruit and greens is SO much easier than meal planning. :D:D I bought an $80 juicer and disposable cups with lids on Amazon and I don't regret it at all.

ok...
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I can't believe how irked some people get over juicing. I agree it isn't a sustainable meals choice but I do believe the fruits/veggies are a great boost for your system! I do a 7 day cleanse sporadically. Usually to mix up my meals or because buying bags of fruit and greens is SO much easier than meal planning. :D:D I bought an $80 juicer and disposable cups with lids on Amazon and I don't regret it at all.

Why not just eat the veggies and fruit as part of a healthy eating plan instead of tearing them up in a blender and drinking them???

Because fiber is for wimps?

As long as they don't strain the juice they'll still get the fiber.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Speziface wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Why not just eat the veggies and fruit as part of a healthy eating plan instead of tearing them up in a blender and drinking them???

Because fiber is for wimps?

As long as they don't strain the juice they'll still get the fiber.

A smoothie is with fibre juice leaves behind the pulp which IS the fibre.

My point exactly. (When I make juice I just use a food processor and pour the liquid right into the cup. Nothing gets left behind. So to speak.)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Until today's science is proven wrong tomorrow.

Maybe someday, but not today...