Do you compare yourself to others?

Options

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I do compare myself to others, and it makes me feel really really unattractive, because Los Angeles.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Sometimes.

Here I feel like I am lacking in many areas, so I head over to Facebook and I am smart and pretty again.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Sometimes.

Here I feel like I am lacking in many areas, so I head over to Facebook and I am smart and pretty again.

This is a good strategy.

You could also go to Walmart.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I compare myself to others physically. When walking with my daughter if I see someone who I think is about my size I will ask her if she thinks we're the same size. I think it's more out of curiosity, I'm not sure I'm seeing myself as others see me. If I am fooling myself maybe?

Sometimes I wonder how someone can afford this or that. I think "How much are they making?" Reality is I don't have any credit card debt and my house is almost paid off and I have decent retirement savings. So I may not travel as much as I would like to or have the newest car but I know I have other things going for me.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Sometimes.

I feel I Ike this after I read the Jailbirds newspaper. :lol:
  • Fit4LifeGal79
    Fit4LifeGal79 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I used to do it all the time. It took me a long time to realize I don't have to be like everyone else. I still slip into that way of thinking on occassions.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Sometimes.

This is a good strategy.

You could also go to Walmart.

True. But then I would have to GO to Walmart.
  • LAWoman72
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Allgaun wrote: »
    I compare myself to others physically. When walking with my daughter if I see someone who I think is about my size I will ask her if she thinks we're the same size. I think it's more out of curiosity, I'm not sure I'm seeing myself as others see me. If I am fooling myself maybe?

Sometimes I wonder how someone can afford this or that. I think "How much are they making?" Reality is I don't have any credit card debt and my house is almost paid off and I have decent retirement savings. So I may not travel as much as I would like to or have the newest car but I know I have other things going for me.

^ What??? You mean, strangers? How do they react to that?

I would be a little taken aback if someone on the street approached me to ask whether I thought we were the same size. If the person was obviously bigger, I'd never say so, as it would hurt her feelings, so I'd probably nod and agree; and if I thought we were the same I'd just nod and agree. So either way I'd probably just nod, agree (or, maybe just breezily say "Oh, I don't know...nice to meet you though!") and the person would not necessarily have gotten any closer to the truth. It's IMO an odd and uncomfortable thing to ask anybody, but especially a stranger. You won't be getting real answers, again IMO.

Also, as for how people see you - you can't change that, so...? When I was about 80 lbs. overweight and my husband was at least 100 lbs. overweight, he totally saw me as fat and him as just a little big or whatever. In fact, he saw us this way - him okay, me fat - when I weighed 130 in early pregnancy and he was already a good 60+ pounds overweight. I could not have changed his self-assessment or his criticisms of others (in this case, me) for anything. People see what they want to see, are conditioned to see, or are fooling themselves into seeing so you're just never going to get what you want out of people by asking them questions like that...and...it's a little intrusive. :neutral: Sorry. :(

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

^ What??? You mean, strangers? How do they react to that?...

I think she means that she asks her daughter if she and the strangers are the same size. Still weird, though. Glad my mom didn't ask me to make constant judgments about her and other people's bodies like that. Might have messed me up a little...
  • Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Options

If I see a gorgeous girl I don't think bad of her just wonder what it's like being that gorgeous.
    When I do compare myself it's never with the thoughts of "I'm so gross, I wish I looked like that, she so much better" I think that's a little pathetic.
    It's more along the lines of "I'd wear this and that if I had her boobs" or "man I need to work on my arms, her arms are so cute"
    But I rarely do that. Everyone is different.
  • LAWoman72
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

I think she means that she asks her daughter if she and the strangers are the same size. Still weird, though. Glad my mom didn't ask me to make constant judgments about her and other people's bodies like that. Might have messed me up a little...

Oh! I totally didn't get that. Thank you.

Yes...sorry to say, this could be pretty bad too. :( The daughter has a choice: either try to make Mommy happy by telling Mommy what she wants to hear (and anxiety over guessing what that is), which means she (the daughter) has to try hard to lie really well (and probably dislike herself a lot for that), or tell the truth and see Mommy's face fall.

I just don't think I'd go this route...I KNOW this isn't the poster's intent but as a child who was often put on the spot in such ways, even very little children realize the parent is fishing for a certain answer and the child knows she either has to lie and hate herself for that and resent the parent for it, or tell the truth and either see Mommy cry or get angry.

IMO that's kind of cruel.

I DO understand insecurity - I really, really do - so I don't want to sound judgmental. I really am just trying to be helpful here.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

Yup. My mom was always critical of other women because of her own issues. It messed with my head. I absolutely never talk negatively about myself or other women to my daughters.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I do it sometimes I use to do it a lot when o was over weight now I do it because fat has left places I wish it didn't like my tits and butt. And my skin isn't as tight as I'd like it to be but when I start comparing myself which is usually only at the gym I go lift weights which I hate(I'm a runner) and look in the mirror and look at everything sexy about me and then don't think about it.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 222 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    OK I guess I wasn't clear. My daughter is 27, not a young child. I do not approach strangers. It is not to be critical of others. I am sorry if my post was confusing.

I do not ask her to be critical of others, more to get an idea about how I look to others. I also sometimes take a picture of myself in a new outfit in the fitting room. Not because I can't see myself in the mirror but because I think we all have some form of body dysmorphia. Seeing myself on the phone gives me a better idea of how I look.
  • _SummerGirl_
    _SummerGirl_ Posts: 3,791 Member
    Options
    Sometimes.

Hahahha so true. Fb is crazy nowadays.
  • GTR86
    GTR86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OK I guess I wasn't clear. My daughter is 27, not a young child. I do not approach strangers. It is not to be critical of others. I am sorry if my post was confusing.

I do not ask her to be critical of others, more to get an idea about how I look to others. I also sometimes take a picture of myself in a new outfit in the fitting room. Not because I can't see myself in the mirror but because I think we all have some form of body dysmorphia. Seeing myself on the phone gives me a better idea of how I look.

My Mum used to ask/probably still would ask me this when she would see a stranger. I never took it as her being critical or comparing but yes it's difficult sometimes to get the whole picture of how you look. If I'm looking in the mirror it's still different than "what do I really look like when I'm crossing the street or sitting on a bench or dancing."

Oddly enough my Mum would only ask me about women who were much bigger than her. Not because she was fishing for compliments but because she ACTUALLY thought she must be that big. Then again she also taught me that nothing comes freely or easily. If someone's got a nice figure, they watch what they eat. If someone's got a fantastic job, they've likely earned it through hard work, etc.

In regards to OPs question---

It can definitely be insecurity if you're feeling bad after making the comparison as opposed to looking admiringly as inspiration for yourself as a few have mentioned. That being said, it depends on your headspace. If you're in the middle of a huge unhealthy meal in a restaurant and you're overweight and not taking care of yourself regularly and then a slim gorgeous woman walks in, you might feel bad that you're not taking as good care of yourself as she is. OR, if you're eating clean and working out and you see her you might think "Yesssss I'm gonna look as good as her soon!!!!"

Lastly not to sound like a terrible person but.. when I first lost 50lbs it came off relatively quickly and easily. I was 26-27 and working a flexible job where I could take as many food and water bottle fill up breaks as I needed to. But we always had cake and chocolates and cookies in the office. Retirements, birthdays, every holiday, any excuse. It was awkward always saying no but I didn't miss it and the odd time I was tempted, I would see the older ladies with bellies and health problems running towards the cake and polishing off their slices within seconds. Every time. I made comparisons then too. I said man, if I eat cake and chocolates every time it's around, I'm gonna look like that in 30 years. It kept me motivated. I kept Quest bars with me if I was tempted for something sweet. Kale chips instead if the salty food showed up. And again, it wasn't from a mean or judgemental place but it helped me to learn about my relationship with food. That just because it's available doesn't mean I have to always eat it for no reason. It translated to how I saw food at home. Just cos someone ordered a pizza or bought ice cream doesn't mean I have to eat it. Just cos my friends are all ordering cocktails doesn't mean I have to as well. It helped me to be prepared. To get my salty or sweet fix too if everyone else was eating something yummy I might want just cos. Again it's not meant to be mean or judgey but eating healthy is the easy part. It's trying to reframe your mindset to understand when and what to eat and the effects it can have on your health and appearance which is super hard. And if you can get a reality check or motivation from someone else, as long as you are kind to them and yourself in the process, and your head is in the right place then I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
  • terilou87
    terilou87 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Dunno if I compare maybe a little but not obsessive with it
  • zainabanwer
    zainabanwer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i hate to admit, but unfortunately yes. All the time.
  • Laraluvv2010
    Laraluvv2010 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes sad but true, it's mostly because I want what I don't have. I'm sure people envy something about me but since I'm so caught up in what I don't have, I can't see it. That's the problem I think, we need to love what we do have.