Opinions wanted - certain foods causing belly fat - even in the underweight?

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    katadx wrote: »
    So I have a stubborn little bit of fat over my abs. I can see the outline of them - but if I do a quick jump in front of the mirror I can see a layer around my belly button jiggle. After a quick google search before hopping on here to gather opinions, I found a random thread of sparkpeople http://www.sparkpeople.com/ma/Petite-girl-(underweight)-with-belly-fat/7/1/21874817 Note: Link breaks
    Where people say that certain foods (carbs, sugar, anything processed) will cause fat gain and cause it to collect in certain areas. What is your opinion of this? I am very frustrated to be collecting a little fat in this area. I am 5'7" 115 lbs. I know part of this can be attributed to just being a woman, but I'm really looking to shred down this area. My doctor says I shouldn't lose any weight though. I've looked into recomp, but I'm looking for opinions just on the 'cut X food because it causes fat to 'move' and 'collect' in the belly area.'

carbs, sugar, insulin spikes usually cause bloating in the belly , if you go on a low carb diet it will decrease your belly size a lot after 3weeks, but it's mostly from water not from fat. when you eat carbs again it will bloat once again, so what you need to do is to lose a little bit of fat percentage to get rid of the belly fat, stick to a diet with a caloric deficit and keep your carb intake to about 25-30%

anything can cause bloating, its not just carbs(which are sugar), low carb diet does not guarantee anything when it comes to belly fat. you cannot spot reduce fat, please stop with the misinformation.how do you know if his/her belly fat is from water or other things? you dont.

Welp, if you give it a try you will know what I'm talking about, people don't believe unless they try, water or not, insulin hormone places the fat around the waist (belly area) and lowering carbs, no sugars counters that until you load up carbs again

It seems like OP's goal is to bulk. Carbs are actually very beneficial during a bulk as they help optimize muscle synthesis.

I eat tons of carbs and never have issues. I have nothing wrong with keto or low carb but having a diet high in carbs does not automatically lead to belly weight gain.

Agreed

Then why are you telling OP to cut carbs?
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your goals are realistic? You are at an underweight BMI - I'm not sure any fat around your belly is large enough to be noticeable.

BMI is a highly inaccurate measure, for a lot of people. It's simply the "quick and easy" way to look at huge segments of the population.

I'm one of those people that, even at 10% body fat according to BMI; I'll still be overweight.

As far as OP's question goes... Like some others have said either doing a bulk or a recomp may help fix that. As a woman you naturally carry more body fat than men. Women also have the added bonus of all kinds of issues happening at low body fat levels (loss of menstration,etc).
  • mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    So I have a stubborn little bit of fat over my abs. I can see the outline of them - but if I do a quick jump in front of the mirror I can see a layer around my belly button jiggle. After a quick google search before hopping on here to gather opinions, I found a random thread of sparkpeople http://www.sparkpeople.com/ma/Petite-girl-(underweight)-with-belly-fat/7/1/21874817 Note: Link breaks
    Where people say that certain foods (carbs, sugar, anything processed) will cause fat gain and cause it to collect in certain areas. What is your opinion of this? I am very frustrated to be collecting a little fat in this area. I am 5'7" 115 lbs. I know part of this can be attributed to just being a woman, but I'm really looking to shred down this area. My doctor says I shouldn't lose any weight though. I've looked into recomp, but I'm looking for opinions just on the 'cut X food because it causes fat to 'move' and 'collect' in the belly area.'

carbs, sugar, insulin spikes usually cause bloating in the belly , if you go on a low carb diet it will decrease your belly size a lot after 3weeks, but it's mostly from water not from fat. when you eat carbs again it will bloat once again, so what you need to do is to lose a little bit of fat percentage to get rid of the belly fat, stick to a diet with a caloric deficit and keep your carb intake to about 25-30%

anything can cause bloating, its not just carbs(which are sugar), low carb diet does not guarantee anything when it comes to belly fat. you cannot spot reduce fat, please stop with the misinformation.how do you know if his/her belly fat is from water or other things? you dont.

Welp, if you give it a try you will know what I'm talking about, people don't believe unless they try, water or not, insulin hormone places the fat around the waist (belly area) and lowering carbs, no sugars counters that until you load up carbs again

It seems like OP's goal is to bulk. Carbs are actually very beneficial during a bulk as they help optimize muscle synthesis.

I eat tons of carbs and never have issues. I have nothing wrong with keto or low carb but having a diet high in carbs does not automatically lead to belly weight gain.

Agreed

Just to avoid arguments that make no sense, I've lost 40lbs from 26% bodyfat to 12% I've found carbs to be reason to often bloats and plateaus but people back them up for no reason, like sugars have any benefits for you or your digestive system lol of course reducing them can make huge different fixes especially around the middle section area but people always stop you when you speak about the carbs they love and the donuts xD
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Agreed

Just to avoid arguments that make no sense, I've lost 40lbs from 26% bodyfat to 12% I've found carbs to be reason to often bloats and plateaus but people back them up for no reason, like sugars have any benefits for you or your digestive system lol of course reducing them can make huge different fixes especially around the middle section area but people always stop you when you speak about the carbs they love and the donuts xD

It is great that you found something that works for you and helped you to be in a calorie deficit.

Carbs help give me energy and fuel my lifting sessions. I actually eat candy before and after my workouts.. and I feel great and have no problems reaching my goals. So again you found a way of eating that works for you.. but many people keep carbs in their diet and have amazing success as well.

This!

You look amazing!

I also eat carbs (including sugar) and am down over 100lbs. I lift, kickbox and walk long distance. Go carbs, go!!
  • mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Agreed

It is great that you found something that works for you and helped you to be in a calorie deficit.

Carbs help give me energy and fuel my lifting sessions. I actually eat candy before and after my workouts.. and I feel great and have no problems reaching my goals. So again you found a way of eating that works for you.. but many people keep carbs in their diet and have amazing success as well.

I've no idea how you eat candy and feel fine after, I feel so bad after eating a donut or something sweet even 2 spoons of sugar, but if you like it and you see results, by all means continue to do so.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

No food will cause fat deposition only in a certain area, or removal from a certain area. You are underweight at that height and weight, and your body is normal and wants to store a little bit of fat on your belly where its designed to. It is not healthy to not have any fat, but if you focus on gaining muscle mass (weight too) instead, you will have the area look "firmer".
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Agreed

Carbs give me energy too.

I never exercised in my life and I flat out low carbed for over ten years.

When I started dieting, I moderate carbed and wasn't very active.

During the time I've lost weight, my activity levels have skyrocketed. I like being active, and to a great extent, my health depends on it.

I went back to my low-carbing ways in a desperate attempt to lose those stubborn last 5 pounds quickly. That was a big mistake. My running and lifting performance suffered, but not only that, my cravings went out of control and I started binging on the sweets I had previously been able to moderate.

It took me a year to realize that this was because I had cut starches out of my diet. The very day I added them back in, the cravings disappeared, and so did the desire to binge on sweets.

My athletic performance is back to where it was before and my bloating has disappeared.

Just goes to show that carbs aren't awful and for some of us, they are optimal.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

You do realise that protein also causes an insulin spike?

Good point. And not only does protein cause insulin spikes, it causes insulin spikes that are almost identical to those caused by carbs. Krieger goes over that in detail in the research review I linked in my previous post above.

It's also worth noting that insulin is a highly anabolic hormone - bodybuilders sometimes supplement with extrinsic, supraphysiological amounts of insulin to increase their muscle gains, so it's not like insulin is the enemy to be avoided at all costs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

You do realise that protein also causes an insulin spike?

Good point. And not only does protein cause insulin spikes, it causes insulin spikes that are almost identical to those caused by carbs. Krieger goes over that in detail in the research review I linked in my previous post above.

It's also worth noting that insulin is a highly anabolic hormone - bodybuilders sometimes supplement with extrinsic, supraphysiological amounts of insulin to increase their muscle gains, so it's not like insulin is the enemy to be avoided at all costs.

I know.. insulin is always pinned as the bad guy. Very beneficial when gaining muscle.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's also worth noting that some women just naturally have a little extra fat on their tummies even when trying to get lean and seeing that everywhere else. It's an evolutionary protect the baby making equipment thing.

There is also of course, the possibility that you are seeing something that isn't there given your current weight but hopefully getting onto a plan that will help you achieve your aesthetic goals will rectify that.

Recomp and reading up in the Gaining Weight section is a great idea and I'm glad you are open to going down that route.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options

Really? Where's your source for this?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is the spot fat reduction myth, our body has a genetic predisposition to store weight in certain areas. Where is stored first is the last place to go.

Check this article OP http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/is-a-calorie-a-calorie.html/

While different diets can work better for different people in many studies the source of the calories doesn't have consistent results, doesn't seem to play a major role in body composition as CICO.

I agree @SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish you can look more toned if you work in gaining muscle.
    but people always stop you when you speak about the carbs they love and the donuts xD

Lol, my carbs are oats, brown rice, fruits and veggies. It's true that you experience water retention when you're on a considerable cal deficit, see woosh effect, though I don't know if it has to do with carbs. And is also true that keto can eliminate the stored fluids. But to say that insulin plays a role in fat storage is off, it's only genetic predisposition, if you eat large amounts of cals in a keto diet you'll end with a fat belly too.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    This is the spot fat reduction myth, our body has a genetic predisposition to store weight in certain areas. Where is stored first is the last place to go.

Check this article OP http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/is-a-calorie-a-calorie.html/

While different diets can work better for different people in many studies the source of the calories doesn't have consistent results, doesn't seem to play a major role in body composition as CICO.

I agree @SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish you can look more toned if you work in gaining muscle.
    but people always stop you when you speak about the carbs they love and the donuts xD

Lol, my carbs are oats, brown rice, fruits and veggies. It's true that you experience water retention when you're on a considerable cal deficit, see woosh effect, though I don't know if it has to do with carbs. And is also true that keto can eliminate the stored fluids. But to say that insulin plays a role in fat storage is off, it's only genetic predisposition, if you eat large amounts of cals in a keto diet you'll end with a fat belly too.

To true. I gained weight low carbing back in the day!

I bought the line that I didn't need to worry about calories and I used to just eat too much food.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

I would agree with this as started low carb a few weeks ago and lost a lot of bloating in the belly area. Also stress/cortisol causes fat to collect in the mid-section. Also the monthly hormones cause water retention.