But I would have to add a HONEYBUN

Options

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I eat over 500 calories 1 1/2 hours before bed due to working nights and haven't experienced any weight gain. I understand wanting to avoid the trans fat in a honey bun, but perhaps there is another calorie dense treat you like? A larabar is about 200 calories and is a 'clean' food. Or, you could make your own peanut butter energy bites (oats, pb, honey) and pop one or two to top off those calories.
  • SpicyBaconCake
    SpicyBaconCake Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think I would add some breakfast, especially if you don't want to eat before bed. You need at least 300 more calories per day. If you only eat veggies and a lean cuisine each day, you could benefit from some fruit, maybe some more protein, even more carbs if you feeling lacking on energy. Take a look at your macros for what you are truly lacking and go from there.
    I love banana with a spoon of peanut butter when I need a few more calories.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You could add a honeybun. I don't know what that is, but if it's something you like and it fits in your calorie/nutrition goals, why not eat it?

Haha it was an exaggeration. It's like a giant breaded thing that's coated in gooey sugar. Totally not subjecting myself to that malarkey.

Why not? Under eating is unhealthy. If a honeybun fits your cals and macros then it's not doing you any harm.

If someone is eating at around 900 calories adding 300 calories of a nutrient poor (i.e. junk food) isn't going to provide adequate nutrition.

The closer one is to the lower acceptable daily calorie amount, the more nutrient dense their diet needs to be for adequate nutrition.
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Unless you have reflux issues, there's no reason to avoid eating before bed. Having an evening snack while watching TV in bed is one of my favorite things to do.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just to repeat what some others have said.....

1) Obviously, make sure you're using a food scale, and finding the USDA listings in the database. I search for "Food item USDA" and find the one based on 100g. These are usually the most accurate

and

2) If you're really having trouble hitting enough calories, a few tablespoons of oil on your veggies or a quick mouthful of peanut butter can make you go from under to over in the blink of an eye. Some companies are making flavored peanut butters now... it's dangerous.

Anyone else really want a honeybun right now? No? Me neither....
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    As someone who eats 1270 calories (5'2, 194#, female), it's not hard to hit 1200 calories everyday. I'm guessing that your meals (if you're eating breakfast) average around 200 calories, with an occasional snack in between. Set your calorie goals higher to an average of 300-350 calories for meals with an identifiable protein source, and fill the rest with snacks. And as others have said, fill it with calorie dense foods. 900 calories sounds miserable (to me), and you can easily lose weight at 1200 calories (or more sometimes).