I drink a lot of soda. Anyone have any suggestions to help cut the soda out??

Options

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes, think about this.
    A study out recently suggests strongly that two sugary drinks a day probably shrinks your brain and impairs your memory.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/05/01/research-questions-impact-sugary-drinks-memory/rpCBpyROy1PYQosCAqnTKK/story.html
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Try some carbonated water. Are you really missing the taste or the fizz?
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I second others who have suggested tea, water, flavored water, etc. Even a Metamucil citrus pack adds some flavor to your water while also giving you fiber!

I gave up pop years ago, but I was not that into it, so it was probably easier for me. I think pop can be a fine splurge if it's consumed in low quantities, but I feel it can become unhealthy if people use it as a replacement for water.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I love seltzer, gives my the carbonated feeling if I don't just feel like having water. I love water and drink the most of the time. Sometimes I have chocolate milk when I feel like being a kid again :) Like others have said if you resist the urge for a few months you wont want it anymore, it will be to sweet and chemically tasting.

Just keep telling your self do you want this stupid liquid to have a hold on you or are you stronger than it.

If you get a caffeine headache have a cup of tea. no reason to give into the poison.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    YaGigi wrote: »
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    I used to have a glass of Diet Pepsi every day. It was like an addiction but more likely just a habit developed over years.

I stopped drinking it last year, instead I have water, sometimes sparkling water, with lemons or berries.

You'll feel better and your skin and hair will look so much better once you cut all those t nasty things out.

What nasty things are in diet pepsi that aren't in sparkling water with lemons?

I'm sorry you even have to ask this question. I'm sure you know the answer as the research is widely available and doctors talk about this none stop (at least in my country).

Diet Pepsi is full of chemicals and artificial sweetening. Your body doesn't need this at all and can be very damaging.
    Just pure water (with lemons and mint, or berries to add some taste) instead is necessary for healthy functioning of your body.

What chemicals and how much of them? Which artificial sweeteners how much of them and how can they be damaging or even very damaging?

Oh darling, I'm not wasting my time on your passive aggressive nonsense. The damaging of those pop drinks are well known and doctors have been recommending to stay away from them for years. If you really need some information, go visit your doctor and ask him.

And now you can go drink some Soda. Hopefully it'll take you off the fence.

Not to mention, there was a time when the nation's leading scientists assured us all that lead was completely healthy for humans to consume. Lobbies are powerful. People who spoke out were shamed and defunded. The industry fought labeling and education tooth and nail.

Are people so blind to think this no longer happens?

Exactly.
    I'm not up to date to the marketing trends of the Soda industry in the States but they seem to be doing great job if some people think that chemical drink is as healthy as water. European doctors are strongly against Soda. Period.

European doctors are also strongly against GMO. contributing to the continued famine in various African countries.

So European doctors have a LOT of credibility to regain before I'm even kinda interested in what they have to say.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I used to have a glass of Diet Pepsi every day. It was like an addiction but more likely just a habit developed over years.

I stopped drinking it last year, instead I have water, sometimes sparkling water, with lemons or berries.

You'll feel better and your skin and hair will look so much better once you cut all those t nasty things out.

I'm sorry you even have to ask this question. I'm sure you know the answer as the research is widely available and doctors talk about this none stop (at least in my country).

Diet Pepsi is full of chemicals and artificial sweetening. Your body doesn't need this at all and can be very damaging.
    Just pure water (with lemons and mint, or berries to add some taste) instead is necessary for healthy functioning of your body.

What chemicals and how much of them? Which artificial sweeteners how much of them and how can they be damaging or even very damaging?

Oh darling, I'm not wasting my time on your passive aggressive nonsense. The damaging of those pop drinks are well known and doctors have been recommending to stay away from them for years. If you really need some information, go visit your doctor and ask him.

Not to mention, there was a time when the nation's leading scientists assured us all that lead was completely healthy for humans to consume. Lobbies are powerful. People who spoke out were shamed and defunded. The industry fought labeling and education tooth and nail.

Exactly.
    I'm not up to date to the marketing trends of the Soda industry in the States but they seem to be doing great job if some people think that chemical drink is as healthy as water. European doctors are strongly against Soda. Period.

European doctors are also strongly against GMO. contributing to the continued famine in various African countries.

So European doctors have a LOT of credibility to regain before I'm even kinda interested in what they have to say.

Darling, you should eat all the GMOs and drink all that soda if you want it! It's your life and your freedom.

I personally wouldn't feed it even to my dogs, although I doubt they'd eat it.

When I did live in the states, I couldn't eat non organic and gmo food, it tasted too plastic to me. So I spent a lot of money in organic stores to have the taste I was used to all my life. But to each their own.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    davisfanny wrote: »
    Most my calories come from drinking soda. MT Dew is my biggest issue. I get headaches from lack of caffeine....

My advice is to cut it out of your diet. Full-sugar pop is an addictive poison. Go cold turkey and drink a lot of La Croix or carbonated water w/ a little bit of fruit juice for the sweet. Your first few days are going to suck -- because your body is used to pulling quick energy from your regular corn syrup infusions, and it'll have to go looking for that energy elsewhere!

Full sugar soda is neither an addiction nor a poison.

Sources? I used to think this, too -- but started doing research. My understanding: if you're binging several sugar sodas per day, each one is nearly double the AHA's recommended added sugar a human should consume in a single day. Regular sugar is addictive, affects the brain's reward system, and leaves you hungry and craving more.

If it isn't addictive, you think it'd be easy for anyone to give up :/.

It's the same part of your brain that reacts to cuddling your pets.
  • YaGigi
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Exactly.

Guess what ingredient comprises ~98% of diet soda....

Water.

And for some helpful reading on the chemicals that comprise diet soda and why they aren't harmful, I suggest you spend some time with this thread, written by a biochemist who very patiently explains why the chemicals are not something to be fearful of.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Why would I read an opinion of someone online? I go clinics with universities for research and medical treatments. An opinion of one guy is nothing to me if doctors at multiple hospitals do not drink Soda themselves and do not recommend it to others.
    And yes, so much research available online that proves Soda being unhealthy.
    But you go ahead and believe that one guy from an online forum.

The 98% water comment is so kid like, I'm not even going to dignify with an answer.

• YaGigi
    Options
    Although I must correct myself. My ex bf was a doctor, and he was unfortunately addicted to Soda. He had one Pepsi a week, that was maximum he could allow himself. He'd have 2-3 glasses of dry red wine a week which he considered much more healthy drink that Soda.
  • 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Flavored sparkling water, that is if you can stomach the aspartame.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Not all has sweetener.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I'm trying to figure out what the significant difference is between flavored, artificially sweetened sparkling water and diet soda, and why the former would be any better than the latter.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    Just drink diet soda like people have already said
  • Clody80
    Clody80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    davisfanny wrote: »
    Most my calories come from drinking soda. MT Dew is my biggest issue. I get headaches from lack of caffeine....

I used to work for Coke.... and drank lots of soda, although diet or zero. It's still a load of crap. I went off it replacing the caffeine with good old coffee and drinking water, cordial and tea. It's well possible to get off it, I was a major addict working for CC and getting as much of it for free as I wanted.
    Flavored tea that someone suggested - careful because lots of flavored ice teas come from the same big soda companies and are just as full of sugar! Make your own ice tea...
  • caradia1
    caradia1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned since beginning nutrition for my impending gastric bypass - soda actually increases the size of the stomach because of the carbonation. Anything with carbonation does. If you want to reduce the amount of food intake you currently imbibe, then reduce the carbonation you drink as well - it will help to shrink your stomach. Otherwise, your dieting isn't really getting you anywhere while you drink carbonated drinks. I know this is hard to give up - I am working on giving up carbonated drinks right now (I'm huge with zero calorie fizzy waters) and it is hard as heck. All I can suggest is cutting down until it's gone and then moving on to something else to drink like regular coffee and tea. It sucks. It sucks really big time that we have to give up things that others normally don't because we have an issue with weight. I guess it comes down to how bad you want it, too. I want the life change. I want the healthier life, so I have no other choice but to change it.