Looking for support while trying to get healthy dealing with depression

Options

Replies

• claireariela
    claireariela Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Prayed for you guys this morning that your mood will perk up a little and that you'll find opportunities for some happy exercise today! Even if it's just a walk! I have a gathering tonight so I'm going to squeeze in my run/workout before that! :) what are you all up to?
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    rebruce449 wrote: »
    I love reading the posts, I'm not alone. I have been trying to eat healthy and the exercise thing is still an issue, although my house is clean! I consider that a win. Today my goal is a walk, I know that exercise helps I have no idea why I don't do it, I have no excuses.

Eliminating meds is just not an option, for those that have done it I wonder how biologically it is possible?

Did you get your walk in today? You are definitely not alone, and I completely relate to this entire post. Including the house being clean part!
  • robinmarkz
    robinmarkz Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds silly, but exercise releases dopamine, which is a feel good chemical. If you can make yourself do it, as your dopamine levels rise, your depression will lessen

This is very true. It's not silly at all. After moderately vigorous cardio, that runners' high. From reading, it seems dopamine is the the most important chemical unleashed by working out.

The only problem is when someone is in a severe crisis. It's probably best to seek help than anything else.

• LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds silly, but exercise releases dopamine, which is a feel good chemical. If you can make yourself do it, as your dopamine levels rise, your depression will lessen

This ^^. Don't overthink it, don't think at all. Just get up and get out. Walking is one of the best things you can do and one of the simplest. Do it. For yourself
  • sandiikat
    sandiikat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    meds is just not an option, for those that have done it I wonder how biologically it is possible?

HONESTLY, I quit on my own. (obviously not cold turkey, weaned off) I WAS DONE I MEAN DONE with feeling like *kitten* even AFTER MY MEDS. I've been on everything & all types of dosages. My depression/anxiety was so unreal that doctor's have to prescribe me meds that weren't even for depression because they were running out of options. I felt terrible I mean terrible that not even meds were working... :( I felt like a freak a nature. Like I had no more options.

I've just recently got baker acted (in Fl, if your a potential harm to yourself you get locked up in the looney bin for 48-72 hours or until you get the lucky chance of seeing a doctor). I also recently jumped off of my balcony cause I couldn't anymore (survived obviously but now I have many injuries lol) ALL OF THIS WHILE ON ANTI-Depressants & mood stabilizers. (by the way this was all recent D: )

IMO: I think depression can be fought without medications. I'm living walking proof of it. I got off my Lexapro (& Wellbutrin XL) & woopdy-doo-da I know longer cut myself, contemplate suicide, jump off balconies, or my favorite wanting to jump out of a car. I know longer have this uncontrollable rage.

BUT YES THIS IS JUST ME.... I am glad I got off all of my meds because honestly, they were making me crazier. I don't think meds are the way (for me). I have scars along my lower legs, arms, thighs, neck, etc. Trust me, I was in a dark dark dark dark place while on meds and now I feel so much better thanks to MEDITATION YOGA TRAINING AND CARDIO.

I mean if you think of it, how many millions of people suffer depression & can't see a doctor due to x, y, & z and yet they are forced to live their lives, grow out of it, or hurt themselves.

I know my case is different because thankfully I have a wonderful support system. I hope you guys find a fix to your problem but remember always try to: meditate, relax, laugh, workout, or just get out of the house.

Xoxox to all!
  • sandiikat
    Options
    yoga yoga yoga my obgyn had suggested this to me for my exersie but only when i feel down i have depression to alot of things moving in my life things taken away so quickly and also the being a teenager part lol but she ssays that if you do yoga when you feel depressed down lazy weak tired do a begginers yoga for 10 to 15 min and it should give you wake up get moving mood i love it so much i dont feel down all the time its easy

YES GUYS LISTEN TO THIS GREAT ADVICE! :)
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety, depression and bdd. Trying to be healthy and dealing with depression feels like a struggle sometimes, but exercise helps so so much and has helped to improve my depression a bit. I did, however, have to go on medication this year for my anxiety because I was having a panic attack every single day and struggled to get out of bed never mind eat healthy or go to the gym.

You will get that motivation somehow, believe me. It took me so long to leave the house and a bit longer before I went to the gym by myself, but I somehow, still no idea how, managed to push myself into doing it. If you ever need to talk just send me a message!
  • claireariela
    Options
    sandiikat wrote: »
    meds is just not an option, for those that have done it I wonder how biologically it is possible?

HONESTLY, I quit on my own. (obviously not cold turkey, weaned off) I WAS DONE I MEAN DONE with feeling like *kitten* even AFTER MY MEDS. I've been on everything & all types of dosages. My depression/anxiety was so unreal that doctor's have to prescribe me meds that weren't even for depression because they were running out of options. I felt terrible I mean terrible that not even meds were working... :( I felt like a freak a nature. Like I had no more options.

I've just recently got baker acted (in Fl, if your a potential harm to yourself you get locked up in the looney bin for 48-72 hours or until you get the lucky chance of seeing a doctor). I also recently jumped off of my balcony cause I couldn't anymore (survived obviously but now I have many injuries lol) ALL OF THIS WHILE ON ANTI-Depressants & mood stabilizers. (by the way this was all recent D: )

IMO: I think depression can be fought without medications. I'm living walking proof of it. I got off my Lexapro (& Wellbutrin XL) & woopdy-doo-da I know longer cut myself, contemplate suicide, jump off balconies, or my favorite wanting to jump out of a car. I know longer have this uncontrollable rage.

BUT YES THIS IS JUST ME.... I am glad I got off all of my meds because honestly, they were making me crazier. I don't think meds are the way (for me). I have scars along my lower legs, arms, thighs, neck, etc. Trust me, I was in a dark dark dark dark place while on meds and now I feel so much better thanks to MEDITATION YOGA TRAINING AND CARDIO.

I mean if you think of it, how many millions of people suffer depression & can't see a doctor due to x, y, & z and yet they are forced to live their lives, grow out of it, or hurt themselves.

I know my case is different because thankfully I have a wonderful support system. I hope you guys find a fix to your problem but remember always try to: meditate, relax, laugh, workout, or just get out of the house.

Xoxox to all!

Hey Hun. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your personal story. Depression can be a really terrible thing. It's terrible how big and negative it can feel sometimes.

Glad to hear you're off your meds and doing much better. I majored in psychology and was always very skeptical of the use of drugs to control "psychological issues". I wasn't comfortable because it seemed like someone was just coming up with concepts to make people feel worse about themselves, and especially with all the adverse effects they can have.... :( it was very debatable. I'm glad you found a way out and have found hope!

I've also found myself in a much better place from a month ago where I didn't even want to get off the bed and didn't even have any motivation to open the blinds. And being a competitive person by nature that believes in purposeful living, it made me feel worse! But thanks to my best friend's advice to just do "the easiest thing in my list of considerations/things that were bothering me" of which "my weight" was one of the worst, but interestingly - as she pointed out - was one of the easiest to tackle. So she made me just single that out and do whatever it takes to focus on my fitness and weight. It has helped a ton. Simply getting out and finishing a walk, or forcing myself to just get a little run done, has me actually getting out of bed to shower and I think the sore muscles from the exercise helps one not think of other negative things. :)

However, for everyone who is still on meds and on the journey, remember that you were created for a HOPE and FUTURE! You were created for great things - even though you may not feel like it now. Start small if you must, and focus on healing your body. Get out for a walk, find a supportive positive community of people who love you (if you don't have one, I hope you can find one here!), and try to use exercise as a way of strengthening your mind and body and perhaps eventually being able to reduce and get off meds! It's possible! :)
  • Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Get support it makes the ride a little easier.
  • sandiikat
    Options

Xoxox to all!

Hey Hun. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your personal story. Depression can be a really terrible thing. It's terrible how big and negative it can feel sometimes.

Glad to hear you're off your meds and doing much better. I majored in psychology and was always very skeptical of the use of drugs to control "psychological issues". I wasn't comfortable because it seemed like someone was just coming up with concepts to make people feel worse about themselves, and especially with all the adverse effects they can have.... :( it was very debatable. I'm glad you found a way out and have found hope!

I've also found myself in a much better place from a month ago where I didn't even want to get off the bed and didn't even have any motivation to open the blinds. And being a competitive person by nature that believes in purposeful living, it made me feel worse! But thanks to my best friend's advice to just do "the easiest thing in my list of considerations/things that were bothering me" of which "my weight" was one of the worst, but interestingly - as she pointed out - was one of the easiest to tackle. So she made me just single that out and do whatever it takes to focus on my fitness and weight. It has helped a ton. Simply getting out and finishing a walk, or forcing myself to just get a little run done, has me actually getting out of bed to shower and I think the sore muscles from the exercise helps one not think of other negative things. :)

However, for everyone who is still on meds and on the journey, remember that you were created for a HOPE and FUTURE! You were created for great things - even though you may not feel like it now. Start small if you must, and focus on healing your body. Get out for a walk, find a supportive positive community of people who love you (if you don't have one, I hope you can find one here!), and try to use exercise as a way of strengthening your mind and body and perhaps eventually being able to reduce and get off meds! It's possible! :)

• sandiikat
    Options

Xoxox to all!

VERY WELL SAID
  • sandiikat
    Options
    Okay so I'm a very very big supporter of meditation & in case you guys would like some assistance or are new to it you guys should check out the app Headspace. It really really helps) I just got home from work & boy I was feeling down down down but now I feel so much better after my quick 10 minutes of meditating. If any one uses it or will try it, let me know how it works out for ya
  • rebruce449
    rebruce449 Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi all, no I did not walk this week. Ive been not sleeping at night and it's been brutal. Having a mood disorder and not sleeping is a very bad combination. My nutrition hadn't been great but tomorrow is another day. I am tracking my food to see where I'm at so thats something. Thanks for the kind words of support, I am quite isolated these days and I appreciate it very much.
  • claireariela
    Options
    Hi all, no I did not walk this week. Ive been not sleeping at night and it's been brutal. Having a mood disorder and not sleeping is a very bad combination. My nutrition hadn't been great but tomorrow is another day. I am tracking my food to see where I'm at so thats something. Thanks for the kind words of support, I am quite isolated these days and I appreciate it very much.

Yeah, one thing that happens is to have problems sleeping at night. I have been having problems sleeping till 4, and sometimes 5 in the morning. I sometimes wake up at 9 out of guilt or 12 if I don't really bother for the day. But what that means is a sleep deficit if I wake up earlier (which will mess with my hormones), and guilt if I wake up later and "waste half my day" (which doesn't help for a happy day).

This week I'm going to try to take control of my sleeping habits and lie in bed by 10pm without and tech or distractions. If I can't sleep, then I'll talk to God or something and pray for sleep. Something should work.

I encourage you to prioritize some exercise in... It helps with mood and might help with sleeping over time too :)
  • bc_heather
    bc_heather Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh I've been there! I have depression and debilitating panic attacks finally under control after years of struggle...thanks to great therapist and the proper medication. Please feel free to chat any time! I'll add you now.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options

Yeah, one thing that happens is to have problems sleeping at night. I have been having problems sleeping till 4, and sometimes 5 in the morning. I sometimes wake up at 9 out of guilt or 12 if I don't really bother for the day. But what that means is a sleep deficit if I wake up earlier (which will mess with my hormones), and guilt if I wake up later and "waste half my day" (which doesn't help for a happy day).

This week I'm going to try to take control of my sleeping habits and lie in bed by 10pm without and tech or distractions. If I can't sleep, then I'll talk to God or something and pray for sleep. Something should work.

I encourage you to prioritize some exercise in... It helps with mood and might help with sleeping over time too :)

You literally described my life just now! I put my phone away at 10 last night, and stayed up the first time I woke up (I make my husbands breakfast/lunch at 430 am) and am promising myself to get on a better schedule! I am so sick of the guilt and sleepless nights. Let me know how your progress goes, it's so nice to hear I am not the only one with this annoying catch 22.
  • claireariela
    Options

You literally described my life just now! I put my phone away at 10 last night, and stayed up the first time I woke up (I make my husbands breakfast/lunch at 430 am) and am promising myself to get on a better schedule! I am so sick of the guilt and sleepless nights. Let me know how your progress goes, it's so nice to hear I am not the only one with this annoying catch 22.

Yeah. Today I've also decided to go cold turkey on my teas and coffees. I think I'll only stick to floral or fruit teas without caffeine. I had my normal Chinese tea today and a coffee yesterday, and both times my muscles tensed up and I started feeling anxious. I don't know if anyone else has those feelings too.

But yep, it's almost midnight now and I'm surprisingly sleepy today, going to try to get to sleep now :)
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    @claireariela yes I do feel that way too! And I get super anxious after caffeine, like my brain won't stop but I'm not thinking clearly. It's very annoying. I quit coffee for a month and it really did help, but alas I fell back to coffee, because it really helps me get motivated to do workouts/walks... so it's one or the other :neutral: I felt more depressed without coffee because I hated myself for not doing stuff, so for now I'm sticking with it... at least until the workouts become a habit.

Last night I put the phone away at 10 pm, and although it took me until 1130 to actually fall asleep, that's a huge improvement compared to 4 am... so I'm going to stick with it! Feel free to add me, it's so nice to know someone who gets it!
  • rebruce449
    rebruce449 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have a cat that demands attention sometimes in the middle of the night! Ive tried different tactics including scaring him with a fan running in my doorway, that lasted a night. Im up early morning at 530am to feed him or listen to him scream. Then Im awake and have something to eat and typically fall asleep again at like 10 or 11am. It not a good thing I can relate to feeling Ive done nothing all day. I went grocery shopping today so I feel like I have my nutrition set for the next week. I will exercise one day, :)