Sometimes I don't know why I'm pushing so hard. Losing 130+lbs solved nothing.

Options

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and single, have always been for the most part. 99.9% of the time I couldn't care less. I'm happy with me, both when I was obese and now I'm not. I like myself for the most part aware of the not so great bits.

People aren't attracted to people who don't like themselves.

In the words of the great philosopher Ru Paul - If you can't love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else. Can I get an amen up in here.

I have always loved myself. Regardless of weight or situation. Just because you want to have a partner or had dreams of having a family, does not mean you do not love yourself. If my frustration is weakness, so be it, but not a day has ever gone by where I did not love myself. It's the unchangable situation I do not like. I do not have control over other people.
    Welcome to life! Not sure how you expected this to be any different?

Not sure I ever alluded to it being any different
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    So much potential lost on the vain attempts to find approval from people who are uninterested.

I know the feeling, man -- like you're in a party surrounded by people, and yet overwhelmed with feelings of loneliness and cravings for donuts and Chik Fil-a sauce. At least, that's how my story goes.

Still ... what's awesome is that, you, along with the many others here, have achieved goals that many only dream about. For that, I think you're pretty awesome, @Geocitiesuser.

Together? Like dipping the donuts in the sauce? :s (Sorry for the hi-jack, but I had to ask.)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I read the second part of the title, and thought what other things was 'losing 130+ pounds' supposed to do or fix other than lose 130+ pounds, make you healthier and add longevity to your life. ?

My take, is being invisible can happen fat or skinny or in between. You can certainly be and feel invisible in a crowded room almost anywhere you go, because that's your mindset.

Refocus your efforts now into making strides for better emotional and mental health and climb out any darkness you may still live in. So you worked on weight first, now work on the inside, everyday is an opportunity to keep making better version of ourselves.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel this way! You've worked hard and achieved great results, and I can understand that it would be nice to have someone to share that with - the "cherry on top", as you put it.

I really like @newmeadow 's advice. Think hard about what kind of women you could see yourself spending your life with - draw up a sort of checklist of the qualities and attributes you value - and then figure out how to meet women like that. It might take some time, but it could give you the result you want so don't feel that it would be a waste of time to date several different women. If nothing else, you might end up with a few new friends or new hobbies/activities even if no romance develops.

You could try dating sites and so on too, if that appeals to you. We were much younger, but my hubby and I met on a blind date after I responded to his personal ad in a magazine. That was nearly 30 years ago, but I'm sure the modern versions of those ads can work too. And yes, ask your friends! I'm sure they'd like to see you happy in that area of your life, and if they can have a hand in introducing you to Miss Right they'll feel good about themselves too. :)

I wish you luck in finding what you want, and I hope you do find it... but as someone else said, make your life as good as you can while you wait, in case love doesn't happen.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Hey don't give up yet. You seem to be quick witted and have a good sense of humor. You've proven you can set a goal and stick with it. Find someone you can have fun with. Maybe someone who isn't perfect. As an old married lady I'm just trying to give you the benefit of my years of experience. I know alot of single guys who never met "the one" because they thought she should be a perfect 10. Many women like that expect the guy to be like a male model with the money of Donald Trump. Very few human beings can live up to that standard. Find someone who is kind and loving and likes the things you do. Go out see how it works. As a guy it sucks that you have to always be the one that asks but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Congrats on your awesome loss by the way. Great job!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    You're likely very intrinsic and haven't found anyone that deals well with that yet. You also have to realize that there are many people who desire things (like a family) that you don't and that those type of people who have the same view are you about it, are harder to find. It's gonna take more effort to locate them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! Try some new stuff, meet some new friends. It sounds like you need a complete overhaul of new stimulus from the inside to the outside. You may be in a rutt...I've been in one before and I'm not sure if I'm not out of the one I think I was previously in? Hard to tell, but I just try to stay positive and challenge myself. I want to add you as a friend to keep up with you. If you need to wrap, hit the inbox!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    You're likely very intrinsic and haven't found anyone that deals well with that yet.

I don't doubt that at all.

Thing is, while I've never been a "pimp", I've had plenty of dating and relationships growing up. Even being married at one point. Ever since I hit 30 it's been radio silence. No amount of social activities gets me introduced to anyone even remotely compatible or interested. No hundreds of emails on the personals work anymore. To be honest, I got more play at 300lbs. I'm the leanest I've been since college, and the response I get from approaching women is that I'm so homely I should be ashamed to leave my house. Being treated like a monster... is not so fun. Especially when you've been working to do everything in your power to change that.

But yeah, while I'm definitely a bit of a unique person (don't drink, don't smoke, software developer) that isn't compatible with "everyone", I used to be compatible with "some people". But now the past 6 years has been me hitting my head against the wall trying to figure out how to get someone to even speak to me long enough to find out what language I speak. Getting a hello back is like pulling teeth.... it's difficult to have things you want in a partner, when you're forced to drop your standards almost completely and still get rejected at every turn.

But, deep breath. It's sparring tonight. I'm going to spend a couple of hours trying to kick people in the head. If not for my hobbies I'd go insane, because I have no family or home life beyond them. Some guys think it would be a blessing. Ever since I got divorced almost a decade ago its felt like nothing but hell... I never got a second chance at normalcy. Just rejection.

I have ranted WAY too much, and have exposed WAY too much information at this point. I'm pretty sure this thread is going to come back and haunt me one day. :shrug:

Basically, I'm really frustrated trying so hard to lose the last 15lbs, and finding out that all of this effort is not helping to solve the only thing I really hoped it would.
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    like I said dude, get out of your box!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You are cute. I had noticed your picture as cute prior to this thread on the forum. However, the way to get a relationship is not weight or looks it is getting out there and meeting people and truly believing that someone would be lucky to date you. So go out be social meet people have fun flirt.
    Then again I am a 41 year old single lady .
    That said despite having dated a bunch and wanting a relationship I am glad I am not married to any of my ex boyfriends.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes, losing 130lbs is worth it! That's amazing. You are investing in yourself and that's the most important investment anyone can make! You're not invisible, I feel that way a lot more than I'd like to admit. Making adult friends is hard, ugh.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    It's a tired, tired phrase, but lose weight for yourself, not to earn others' attention.

Do you have any hobbies that are female-dominated?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options