I drink a lot of soda. Anyone have any suggestions to help cut the soda out??

Options

Replies

• C_Victoria_C
    C_Victoria_C Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should try la croix, it's sparkling seltzer water with fruit flavor, the lemon or lime ones taste like sprite, there's a little bit of a bitter taste but it's zero calorie, zero sugar, and zero carb. You're basically just drinking water.
  • dianaejennings
    dianaejennings Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Start to visualize it as the poison it is, that might help.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I can't see myself starting a thread asking how to get over my tea addiction...

And I can't see myself starting a thread asking how to get over my soda addiction. The difference is, while people typically aren't told that (sugarless) tea is unhealthy, they are told that (sugarless) soda is unhealthy, even though they're about the same in terms of health and calories. That's where threads like this come from - misinformation. That's what the apparently "pro-soda" people are against.

Are they? I'm really asking.

Can you replace all your drinking water with soda or even diet soda and feel completely safe and healthy?

My grandfather drinks tea instead of water all his life and he's over 90. Nobody ever questions this drinking as unsafe, unhealthy. Can the same be done with soda?
  • warrennotes
    warrennotes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The secret is - just don't ever bring it in the house. Don't take change with you to buy it from a machine. Quit it. You can use generic caffeine pills from the drugstore to avoid headaches, then gradually cut down on the pills.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Can you replace all your drinking water with soda or even diet soda and feel completely safe and healthy?

My grandfather drinks tea instead of water all his life and he's over 90. Nobody ever questions this drinking as unsafe, unhealthy. Can the same be done with soda?

I believe so. I wouldn't want to drink ONLY soda, but that's just because there are other beverages that I enjoy, and I wouldn't want to give them up either. Some people say that artificial sweeteners have a bitter/medicinal aftertaste; I don't notice it. Most green teas taste bitter/medicinal to me; I don't drink them. I also like Powerade Zero.

But again, I think the key point you make is that nobody ever questions your grandfather's tea drinking.

Out of curiosity, how does he take his tea?
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Flavored sparkling water, that is if you can stomach the aspartame.

I'm trying to figure out what the significant difference is between flavored, artificially sweetened sparkling water and diet soda, and why the former would be any better than the latter.

I would recommend fruit flavored sparkling water/seltzer that doesn't have any other sweeteners like Polar or Le Croix. If you have a wegman's around, their house brand is my personal favorite. A lot of people around here like Spindrift. It contains a small amount of juice but they seem to only be about 5 calories a can. Not a fan but I seem to be the only one.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

And I can't see myself starting a thread asking how to get over my soda addiction. The difference is, while people typically aren't told that (sugarless) tea is unhealthy, they are told that (sugarless) soda is unhealthy, even though they're about the same in terms of health and calories. That's where threads like this come from - misinformation. That's what the apparently "pro-soda" people are against.

For me, a diet soda would be more healthy than tea. Tea is high oxalate and my kidneys like to form oxalate stones.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

I believe so. I wouldn't want to drink ONLY soda, but that's just because there are other beverages that I enjoy, and I wouldn't want to give them up either. Some people say that artificial sweeteners have a bitter/medicinal aftertaste; I don't notice it. Most green teas taste bitter/medicinal to me; I don't drink them. I also like Powerade Zero.

But again, I think the key point you make is that nobody ever questions your grandfather's tea drinking.

Out of curiosity, how does he take his tea?

Fresh green tea leaves purchased daily and I helped making it -- boil water and pour over it in a big pot that lasted for a long time. The water had a greenish tint instead of yellow all the way. Then, in other decades when fresh leaves no longer available, it was just regular dry tea.

My grandfather's memory is slipping these days but I've never heard him having had kidney or urinary issues.

I like sodas but I really don't trust drinking it for regular refreshment. I drink it once in a while for taste.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Diet soda may actually be less unhealthy... tea can contribute to kidney stones if you're prone/inclined.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

50+ years of research says so. Only the carbonation would be an issue but carbonated water is also a thing and has the same issues.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    50+ years of research says so. Only the carbonation would be an issue but carbonated water is also a thing and has the same issues.

Isn't acidity the concern with carbonation, though? There are similar issues with coffee, tea, milk, and juice.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Start to visualize it as the poison it is, that might help.

lol...guess you didn't read the thread or are unaware that it is not, in fact, poison. smh.
  • Aniston_T
    Aniston_T Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There are also studies that say that sugar feeds cancer. So I am curious as to who did the studies that say that soda is harmless (is the sugar industry behind this) and also, when they did the studies did they mean that 1-2 cans of soda is harmless but did not take into account that some people drink way more than that. Just curious! Haven't don't any research about it and I drink soda now and then.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Aniston_T wrote: »
    There are also studies that say that sugar feeds cancer. So I am curious as to who did the studies that say that soda is harmless (is the sugar industry behind this) and also, when they did the studies did they mean that 1-2 cans of soda is harmless but did not take into account that some people drink way more than that. Just curious! Haven't don't any research about it and I drink soda now and then.

A couple of things here.

1: Not all cancers are "fed" by sugar. So dropping sugar won't help you with certain cancers.
    2: Considering your body will create sugar (since that's what your cells run on) if you don't give it enough, it's irrelevant anyway.
    3: If you have cancer, you'll be (or should be) monitoring your diet and adjusting accordingly.
  • Aniston_T
    edited May 2017
    Options

TR0berts wrote: »

A couple of things here.

1: Not all cancers are "fed" by sugar. So dropping sugar won't help you with certain cancers.
    2: Considering your body will create sugar (since that's what your cells run on) if you don't give it enough, it's irrelevant anyway.
    3: If you have cancer, you'll be (or should be) monitoring your diet and adjusting accordingly.

TR0berts Thank you for clarifying that. It makes sense
  • Aniston_T
    Options
    Sorry was supposed to be a quote...
  • HonestBuddha
    HonestBuddha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of diet soda. I was drinking anywhere from 3-6 Cokes a day at 140 calories each. Serious Coke habit LOL. I quit cold turkey and had my last one Sunday morning and refused to buy anymore. If I get headaches or anything I'll go for coffee or tea since I can control the sugar I put it in. It's the sugar in everything America makes that is making us fat. From the yogurt to even the bread we eat. I've watched videos of Europeans eating regular American food and they were surprised how sweet our regular bread is. It tasted like a treat to them.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Tests on aspartame have proven that it is completely safe for human consumption (unless you have phenylketonuria - a rare genetic disorder you were diagnosed with at birth). The amounts that "cause cancer" or other problems would be based on a human drinking HUNDREDS of liters PER DAY (I don't have the exact numbers handy, but the amount of aspartame it would take to cause problems is literally beyond what anyone could possibly drink in a day) - so yes, anything in excess is bad (same way water can kill you if you drink tons at once), but aspartame has been proven safe again and again in normal amounts.

http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of diet soda. I was drinking anywhere from 3-6 Cokes a day at 140 calories each. Serious Coke habit LOL. I quit cold turkey and had my last one Sunday morning and refused to buy anymore. If I get headaches or anything I'll go for coffee or tea since I can control the sugar I put it in. It's the sugar in everything America makes that is making us fat. From the yogurt to even the bread we eat. I've watched videos of Europeans eating regular American food and they were surprised how sweet our regular bread is. It tasted like a treat to them.

No, it is not the sugar that is making people fat, it's the amount of calories in food and portion sizes of food they're eating that is making them fat.