Cannot lose weight and gain muscle? Whats the Science behind this??

terryt1992
terryt1992 Posts: 94 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Someone please explain this to me. I weigh 328 lbs. I have lost 86 so far without strength training. I am continuing to eat a deficit but added strength training. People seem to say that you cannot lose weight from fat and gain muscle at the same time.

Replies

• terryt1992
    terryt1992 Posts: 94 Member
    Lol Broscience I see. So basically you can gain strength and still be losing weight. I thought this was wrong because I have been strength training for a little over a month and I have lost weight and I feel a lot stronger and also feel like I have more muscle mass
  • c_ward1983
    c_ward1983 Posts: 22 Member
    Your body only burns muscle over fat in short term fasting or caloric deficit. Long term (more than 3-4 days) it will prefer fat over muscle. This is in regards to weight loss and where the weight is coming from. If you try and gain muscle while on a diet you might have mixed results. If you want bigger muscles while simultaneously loosing fat you'll have to have a pretty protein heavy diet. For this kind of goal/training you should talk to a trainer who has experience with this kind of thing, and probably look at some supplements (mileage will vary)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Strength training or any progressive resistance program will defend muscle loss, but will show few if any gains in muscle mass. Biological systems tend to work optimally in specific circumstances, which is why most people find success in cutting/bulking cycles. What you are looking for is a recomp program, which is possible, but takes more time.

I highly recommend anyone implement some manner of resistance training to preserve your existing muscle mass as this is the primary driver of your metabolism.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    terryt1992 wrote: »
    Lol Broscience I see. So basically you can gain strength and still be losing weight. I thought this was wrong because I have been strength training for a little over a month and I have lost weight and I feel a lot stronger and also feel like I have more muscle mass

Getting stronger doesn't mean you've gained muscle mass.

I bet not carrying around all that extra weight means you have less fatigue in general, which might contribute to you feeling stronger.

Most of the weight you've lost is probably fat, which means if you have exactly the same amount of muscle, it will be more visible now. Even if you have slightly less, it will be easier to see. It's like when the leaves come down in the fall and you have a better view.

Now with all that said, it's not impossible to build muscle while losing fat. It might even be happening to you! It sounds like you're new to lifting, so you're in this "honeymoon phase" where you get "newbie gains." People do "recomp" which is when you reach your goal weight then eat at maintenance and lift progressively, lowering your body fat percentage over time and building muscle. This is a long and slow process.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Someone please explain this to me. I weigh 328 lbs. I have lost 86 so far without strength training. I am continuing to eat a deficit but added strength training. People seem to say that you cannot lose weight from fat and gain muscle at the same time.

In your current position, you are primed for newb gains, so you will build some muscle at least for a limited time. Also note that much in the way of actual strength gains early on isn't so much about new muscle mass but rather recruitment of existing muscle that wasn't being utilized and neural adaptation.

Muscle mass gained in a deficit is going to be fairly limited and it won't be to the extent that it would be at maintenance or in a surplus...essentially, you can't create something from nothing...muscle requires a great deal of energy to build and while cutting, you are in a deficit of energy. Building any significant muscle requires being in an anabolic state and while dieting you are in a catabolic state.

At your size and starting point though, you are pretty well primed for some good noob gains...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    As others have pointed out, you can. So can I.

Here is (I think) a good article on it.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-build-muscle-and-lose-fat/

We fit in the "Fat beginners" category.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited May 2017

Actually, the science says that you can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. However, the body builder crowd usually say you can't because it is more difficult to do.

Agreed, although it gets more difficult the less b/f you have to lose. I get DXA scans every year since 2013. I started out as obese (187 lb and 42% bf). Next scan (2014) was 133 lb and 27% bf. Next scan (2015) 135 lb and 23% bf. Most recent scan (2016) 133 lb and 20%. Lean mass has been slowly increasing according to DXA results, strength, (and physique). I'm due for another one this year. DXA scans have roughly 1% +/- error but the results have been great so far. Additionally, the scans identify where the body fat is distributed (white markings in the x-rays) and printed calculations of fat and muscle mass per scan. Ranges from $75-250 for each scan.
  • leobuganski
    leobuganski Posts: 2 Member
    To add to this blog I can attest to that I've been dieting and working out since the beginning of the year and add lean muscle, I don't think adding huge muscle gains are possible without eating higher amounts of the right type of calories, as well as some really good sources of Protein.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    To add to this blog I can attest to that I've been dieting and working out since the beginning of the year and add lean muscle, I don't think adding huge muscle gains are possible without eating higher amounts of the right type of calories, as well as some really good sources of Protein.

and this is wrong too...