Things I didn't need to eat to lose weight

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I lost 80 lbs in 12 months and have kept it off for 13 months so far, and I've never once had:

Apple cider vinegar
    Green smoothie
    Protein shake
    Green tea
    Diet pills
    Kale
    Goji berries
    Acai berries
    Kombucha
    Chia seeds
    Coconut oil

I just ate what I wanted within my calorie limit.

Of course, if I ever decided to eat those things, I'd eat them, but I'd still need to eat less calories than I burned.

There is no magic weight loss potion. If there was, Oprah wouldn't be fat.

There's nothing magic in what you do or don't eat while in a calorie deficit because the magic happens in your head when you write down your food intake. ( I says while nibbling on homemade yogurt mixed with PB2, super berries, and high protein granola.)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs in 12 months and have kept it off for 13 months so far, and I've never once had:

Apple cider vinegar
    Green smoothie
    Protein shake
    Green tea
    Diet pills
    Kale
    Goji berries
    Acai berries
    Kombucha
    Chia seeds
    Coconut oil

Of course, if I ever decided to eat those things, I'd eat them, but I'd still need to eat less calories than I burned.

Nice list although a couple of those I have added to my diet and enjoyed. Kale mainly but I have had bars with chia seeds and goji berries added. I have however stayed clear of brussels sprouts and lentils.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    And I don't have enough kefir just yet to make a green smoothie with my kale.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love making pie and I will be making this Sunday for Mother's Day. Another use for ACV.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/vinegar-pie-106550

Hmm. I will have to try that next time there's a pie making reason.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    To play devil's advocate for a moment here... what I really want to eat is potato chips. The amount I need to eat for a snack right now is 50 calories, which is exactly 5 chips. You and I may be different, but I would go berserk eating five chips. I would rather eat something less calorie dense in a larger portion.

Also I really like kale. ;)

I like kale too. And I rarely eat potato chips (I'm low carbing now, but even before I rarely did, because I'm picky about them). The place that makes the chips I like most (housemade, comes with a sandwich if you choose them instead of almonds) gives them out in servings of 150 cals, which will fit in a day (well, not with my current macros) easily enough if you want them to.

But I actually could be perfectly happy with just a few (even 50 cal) chips as a side, if I didn't tend to want to eat everything in front of me, LOL. Less calorie dense in a larger portion doesn't play into it, since I don't eat chips alone, but with some kind of protein and vegetables. So the whole plate is filling even if the chips on their own would be.

It's exactly how I fit in things like bacon and cheese. (Unlike chips, cheese really is a weakness of mine, and I would not give it up, and I don't go berserk eating just small amounts. Same with a square of good chocolate.)

I'm not saying you should eat chips but just pushing against the all or nothing idea -- you aren't only eating whatever it is, so that it is not that filling on its own might not matter so much.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    To play devil's advocate for a moment here... what I really want to eat is potato chips. The amount I need to eat for a snack right now is 50 calories, which is exactly 5 chips. You and I may be different, but I would go berserk eating five chips. I would rather eat something less calorie dense in a larger portion.

Also I really like kale. ;)

I like kale too. And I rarely eat potato chips (I'm low carbing now, but even before I rarely did, because I'm picky about them). The place that makes the chips I like most (housemade, comes with a sandwich if you choose them instead of almonds) gives them out in servings of 150 cals, which will fit in a day (well, not with my current macros) easily enough if you want them to.

But I actually could be perfectly happy with just a few (even 50 cal) chips as a side, if I didn't tend to want to eat everything in front of me, LOL. Less calorie dense in a larger portion doesn't play into it, since I don't eat chips alone, but with some kind of protein and vegetables. So the whole plate is filling even if the chips on their own would be.

It's how I fit in things like bacon and cheese too.

I guess this mindset kind of works for me too. I think it depends more on whether it's a breakfast or lunch, or nearing my last meal of the day. Earlier in the day, I'm still thinking about making room for a treat later, or wondering where I will end up for dinner if I'm socializing, if I'll want to save room for a drink, etc. Then those 100 calories really come into play. They can make or break my evening.

If it's my last meal of the day...take 'em if you got 'em.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

Apple cider vinegar
    Green smoothie
    Protein shake
    Green tea
    Diet pills
    Kale
    Goji berries
    Acai berries
    Kombucha
    Chia seeds
    Coconut oil

I had to have coconut oil. It tastes so good when mixed with chocolate, peanut butter and rice krispies. It even helped me lose weight because I ate it within my calorie goal. :wink:
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    This thread is giving me life. You guys are amazing.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love green tea (any tea, actually), Kombucha (I make my own), protein shakes, kale, and green smoothies.

I didn't eat them to lose weight, I ate them because I find them yummy and because they help me meet my macro and micro nutrient goals.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    About the only thing I needed to swallow was my pride, and admit that my size was under my control.
    giphy.gif

Off topic but what the heck is up with Drakes' hair here? Did he spray paint it on?

On topic. Nobody is saying you can't eat them, just that you need to because they won't make on iota of difference.

Just don't make me eat kale.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Apple cider vinegar
    Green smoothie
    Protein shake
    Green tea
    Diet pills
    Kale
    Goji berries
    Acai berries
    Kombucha
    Chia seeds
    Coconut oil

Congrats on your weight loss. The truth is obvious, and I can definitely relate. Idk exactly what you eat but my staples consists of foods like Cheezits, low-fat ice cream, Jell-O, white bread, canned veggies, egg whites, etc and am losing weight.
    I use coconut oil on my skin and hair though. Has made a huge difference.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You mean I've been choking down my diet pills with a green smoothie made with kale, acai, goji, Chia, coconut oil, protein powder and ACV for no reason?

Dammit.

Ah, you've been doing it all wrong!! You need to first crush the diet pills, and then blend them into the smoothie!!! This is the only way to really detox!!!!!!!!!!!
    And you must must MUST finish everything you eat by 6pm or your car will turn into a pumpkin or something ;)

But at least then I could eat the pumpkin. But would the carbs after 6 make me fat?

Not if you wait to eat the pumpkin till the next day!! After chugging a gallon of ACV of course.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness to read this!!! When i see people eating that stuff it makes me sick. Ugh! i only want to eat real food and not all this fake stuff which is nasty to me. I suppose the apple cider vinegar has some good health properties in them, but i wont eat that. Also people on LCHF eat pork rinds ugh! nasty!! and put butter and oil in coffee and ugh thats disgusting!! i refuse to eat it. also i dont care to eat candy bar substitutes. so glad someone said that :) lol i dont want to force myself to get disgusted to try to lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    Thank goodness to read this!!! When i see people eating that stuff it makes me sick. Ugh! i only want to eat real food and not all this fake stuff which is nasty to me. I suppose the apple cider vinegar has some good health properties in them, but i wont eat that. Also people on LCHF eat pork rinds ugh! nasty!! and put butter and oil in coffee and ugh thats disgusting!! i refuse to eat it. also i dont care to eat candy bar substitutes. so glad someone said that :) lol i dont want to force myself to get disgusted to try to lose weight.

Fake?

Apple cider vinegar
    Green smoothie
    Green tea
    Kale
    Goji berries
    Acai berries
    Kombucha
    Chia seeds
    Coconut oil
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »

Ummm, what out of that list is fake?

And this is about people eating what they like, not shooting people down because they dare eat pork rinds (I like 'em, I'm not LCHF, I am British though and we love a pork scratching). Or telling someone they make you sick because they like something you don't.

Oh boy.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    haha no i was mixing up my thoughts. i was not necessarily meaning fake per that list. but i mean the topic is talking about eating all kind of food and i remembered some of it is fake food. i then went on to list a few of those fake items. sorry for the mixup in my thinking process.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    The only fake food is the stuff you find in a toy shop.