I hate vegetables...

Options

Replies

• purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    "This delicious veggie dish is a family favourite. We cook it up in a big pan, and there are never any leftovers!"
    -Recipe from Josh E. Hofer, dairy farmer from Maple Creek, Saskatchewan
    Ingredients

2 cups (500 mL) carrots, chopped
    2 cups (500 mL) cauliflower, chopped
    2 cups (500 mL) broccoli, chopped
    3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
    A pinch of salt
    Pepper, to taste
    1 cup (250 mL) Milk
    6 oz (175 g) Canadian Cream cheese, cut into cubes
    2/3 cup (160 mL) fresh bread crumbs
    2 tbsp (30 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
    Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter an 8-cup (2 L) shallow baking dish.

Place carrots in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 3 inches (7.5 cm) and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium and boil gently for 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Add cauliflower, then broccoli; cover, leaving lid slightly ajar, and boil gently for about 5 min or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Drain well and place in buttered dish.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter over medium heat; sauté onion for about 5 min or until softened. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter and stir until melted. Sprinkle in flour, salt and pepper to taste; cook, stirring, for 2 min. Gradually pour in milk, whisking constantly. Cook, whisking, for about 3 min or until thick and bubbly.

Reduce heat to low; add Cream cheese and stir until smooth. Pour over vegetables in dish; stir gently to coat evenly. Bake for 20 min.

Melt remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over casserole. Bake for 10 to 15 min or until crisp and golden.

You can use low fat ingredients.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    Best Cream Of Broccoli Soup

Recipe By:Jessie A.
    "This recipe is thick and flavorful. It is simple, delicious, and quick to make, enjoy (I know you will)."
    Ingredients
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 onion, chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    3 cups chicken broth
    8 cups broccoli florets

3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups milk
    ground black pepper to taste
    Directions
    Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium sized stock pot, and saute onion and celery until tender. Add broccoli and broth, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
    Pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot.
    In small saucepan, over medium-heat melt 3 tablespoons butter, stir in flour and add milk. Stir until thick and bubbly, and add to soup. Season with pepper and serve.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Three things I do with kale to get that bitter nutritious uncooked leaf down my gullet:

Smoothie,60 grams of kale, with kefir, banana, PB2, berries, and hemp seeds. The fat in the kefir and the protein in the PB2 neutralize the bitter in the kale and the tart in the kefir, respectively, and the net taste really is a fresh, clean, and light taste with a hint of banana and peanut butter.

Burrito, with eggs and turkey, and seasoning veg. The kale leaf, no more than 30 grams, shredded on the tortilla before the skillet-cooked eggs, turkey, and seasoning veg are poured over it. The kale provides a nice Crunch on the bite and the bitter taste is subdued.

Breakfast sandwich. I layer the kale with the bacon, eggs, and cheese.

All these are under 400 calories.
  • emilycervellino
    emilycervellino Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you JeromeBarry1. I love breakfast sandwiches so I will have to give that a try
  • emilycervellino
    Options
    Purebredpolly, you are wonderful! Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas. ❤❤❤
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    Purebredpolly, you are wonderful! Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas. ❤❤❤

Awwwww...Thanks! <3

• aufond
    aufond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I bought a Blendtec blender, which is a high-end blender and will set you back several hundred dollars. However, it is of extremely high quality (made in USA) and has revolutionized breakfast for me. It's now common for me to toss in a half-avocado, fresh ginger, half-tomato, 1-2 stalks of celery, some bell pepper, an apple, an orange, parsley, perhaps a carrot, some water and orange juice, and ice, then blend it into a beautiful green smoothie that tastes fantastic! Without that blender, I doubt I would be consuming that much in the way of fresh vegetables. You can toss just about anything in there and it will usually taste great, it can be a lot of fun experimenting with different flavor combinations.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I thought I hated vegetables too, but it turns out that if I add enough spices or cheese, cauliflower is pretty tasty and super low calorie so now I try to put it in everything. Buzzfeed is my favorite website for recipes that look and taste like junk food but have hidden veggies.

Here's a big list of hidden veggie options:
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/anthonyrivas/sneaky-sneaky-veggies?utm_term=.slyykm5zA#.gnyQokBzG

I've cooked this pizza recipe several times and it's very good. Squeezing out the water is the most important part or you'll have some structural integrity problems, but otherwise still tasty.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/clairenolan/healthy-cauliflower-pizza-tastyfreshfriday?utm_term=.xeqaKyENP#.lbkGDZYK4

I made these for the second time this week and they're very tasty too. I recommend adding marinara sauce or some kind of dipping sauce because they're a little plain on their own, but otherwise very good and easy to make. For this recipe (and maybe the pizza too) I recommend getting a bag of Green Giant frozen cauliflower and just heating it up in the microwave - it saves you the blanching and chopping steps and it worked just as well when I tried it this week.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiemelody/cauliflower-tots?utm_term=.evNy38dlR#.ltbGwDPVW
  • emilycervellino
    Options
    Blitza, thank you for the recommendations. I will try out these recipes. People keep saying to eat cauliflower, that it is easy to mask the taste so I am excited to try.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Today I mixed 2/3 of a tub of cauliflower rice and parsley (microwaved) with 50 g of cooked rice , had it with turkey meatballs with a homemade mushroom sauce. I was thinking that the cauliflower rice mix might help you...had with a mixed meat and vegetables curry?
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Bombay aloo..curried potatoes are delicious
  • Belleghetti
    Belleghetti Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can hide them in things :) Two easy suggestions are 1) chop up some green stuff (spinach or broccoli worked well for me, when hiding them from kids LOL) very small and add it to pizza between sauce and other toppings. (Pizza doesn't have to be a calorie no, just a careful plan!) And puree spinach added to brownie batter before baking just makes them richer and chewer... of course again you have to be calorie careful but there are lots of light recipes! And if it is the only way to get them down...
  • Belleghetti
    Belleghetti Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You could also look into a greens powder! Which is a lower calorie ready made option. You can get powder that is easily mixed into juice ect or I believe they sell it in capsules now...
  • gambygirl
    gambygirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Baby Food!!!! I hide it in everything!
  • faithwardle
    faithwardle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like you I pretty much hate the taste of all vegetables excl carrots. However, cauliflower soup can taste lovely if made with chicken stock. Also, wherever you use tomato paste or sauce, try replacing it with a vegatable sauce which you can make in a blender e.g. pizza or pasta bolgnese
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Use your protein to flavor your veggies. (A small amount of bacon with grease in green beans give them a delicious salty bacony taste) However, you have to account for the calories in your protein and fat when logging. My MIL also makes ham wrapped asparagus with a white cheese sauce topping that is delicious (although asparagus is a bit of a strong flavor, so you may not want to start with that veggie). I have made mini zuchini pizzas where I sliced a zuchini and topped each slice with marinara, a small sprinkle of cheese, and a mini pepperoni. Again, the cheese and pepperoni will add calories, but it does hide the taste of the zuchini. Spaghetti squash is another good one, it has more of a noodle feel (although is not that same texture) and tastes good with marinara or just tossed with a light cheese sauce. There are SOOO many veggies, it is hard to believe that there isn't one that you will eat.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Roasted carotts, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, kale. Roastng really makes a difference.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Roasting or sauteeing in butter! Some of my favorites are:
    • Brussels sprouts cut in half and pan-sauteed in bacon or pancetta
    • Brussels sprouts shredded and stir-fried with garlic or herbs
    • Broccoli, cauliflower, and cherry tomatoes roasted with Indian spices
    • Sweet potato fries, baked at 450 with oil and spices, served with BBQ sauce
    • Roasted or pan-sauteed asparagus
    • Creamed spinach (cook spinach, cut up, and add to a roux)
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    you can also make zucchini bread, pumpkin or butternut squash muffins, etc...to get some of the nutrients. Just be careful of the sugar - I find most recipes the sugar can easily be cut in half. I also use half unsweetened applesauce and half melted coconut oil for the butter or oil that is called for. Use whole wheat flour and some Greek Yogurt to bump the nutrients even more so they can be part of a meal.

One of my family's new favorite recipes is Roasted Rainbow Carrots:
    1 lb rainbow carrots (either the baby size or full-size carrots and regular carrots work fine too)
    1 TB garlic infused olive oil
    salt & pepper
    dried thyme (generous sprinkle)

Cut carrots until the sizes are somewhat uniform - I usually make them about the size of my pinky finger
    Place on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil and salt. Spread out into an even layer and then sprinkle with dried thyme.
    Roast in a 425 degree oven for 10 minutes, stir and then roast another 10-15 minutes. You want the veggies to still be a bit crunchy but also caramelized with a tiny bit of char.