Halo Top, where have you been all this time?

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    medic2038 wrote: »
    I too just discovered halo top!
    It's definitely nice to be able to have some ice cream without completely destroying your macros for the day.

Just curious do all of the flavors have that somewhat "snowy" texture, or just the one I tried?
    By "snowy" I mean gets almost kind of powdery, instead of creamy like you'd expect from ice cream.

They all do. I don't buy it anymore, I prefer real ice cream. When I did try all of them though I would let it sit out and melt a little bit before eating it and then it had more of a ice cream texture to me!

That's why they are called instructions. Just saying.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I LOVE halo top. I've read lots about people letting it sit out before eating but I've never had to do that, always tastes/feels like real ice cream to me right out of the freezer. My least favorite is the birthday cake, that one has a chemical-y flavor to me and yucky. I love peanut butter cup, red velvet, mocha.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's definitely nice to be able to have some ice cream without completely destroying your macros for the day.

Just curious do all of the flavors have that somewhat "snowy" texture, or just the one I tried?
    By "snowy" I mean gets almost kind of powdery, instead of creamy like you'd expect from ice cream.

They all do. I don't buy it anymore, I prefer real ice cream. When I did try all of them though I would let it sit out and melt a little bit before eating it and then it had more of a ice cream texture to me!

I don't find that they're all like that. It's different from flavor to flavor for me so far. I haven't gotten the same flavor twice so I have no control sample. Sometimes lousy ice cream texture can be can be a storage thing.
  • Birdygirl15
    Birdygirl15 Posts: 88 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Dont get it in the UK :(

Wondering if this new Alpro ice cream will work for us Halo Top-deprived Brits? 166Kcal for 100g, no idea how that translates in cup measures to compare to this Halo Top. (Who ever thought cups were a good thing for measuring, America? ;) ) Think I'd prefer frozen and blended banana but when we eventually get a summer, I'll try one tub of the Alpro

https://www.alpro.com/uk/products/ice-cream
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I take the tub out of the freezer 10-15 minutes before i eat it, doing this also prevents 'spoon bending' while trying to scoop it out.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    It's on sale by me right now and oh boy has it been great this week. I'm fighting a wicked cold, and being able to eat a pint of ice cream in one go without the "ugh, so many calories" feeling is great!

So far, I like chocolate and peanut butter cup best. I've also had birthday cake and mint chip - both were good, but they're better paired up with something else.

I just have s'mores left to try, and then I can go stock up on my favorites!

~Lyssa
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    It's on sale by me right now and oh boy has it been great this week. I'm fighting a wicked cold, and being able to eat a pint of ice cream in one go without the "ugh, so many calories" feeling is great!

So far, I like chocolate and peanut butter cup best. I've also had birthday cake and mint chip - both were good, but they're better paired up with something else.

~Lyssa

Try the Oatmeal Cookie and Chocolate Almond Crunch. Two of my favorites.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

Try the Oatmeal Cookie and Chocolate Almond Crunch. Two of my favorites.

Ooh I think I have the oatmeal cookie...and I'll pick up the almond crunch one! Guess I'm going grocery shopping again on Monday.

~Lyssa
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sooooo, I just discovered this magical treat. Commence happy dance...

Check out Englightened too. They're even better, but I like Halo Top too. :) I just tried Enlightened for the first time today... Fudge Brownie - so good! (400 cal per pint 28g protein) https://www.eatenlightened.com/collections/ice-cream-pints
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Dont get it in the UK :(

Do you get Enlightened? https://www.eatenlightened.com/collections/ice-cream-pints
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It's soooo good. The peanut butter cup flavor is my favorite so far
  • Verity1111
    Options
    bethanyka wrote: »
    There's one called Enlightened (I think that's the name or something similar ) that's good and low cal. I had the choc chip cookie dough and it was really good!

Hey another supporter! Lol. I just tried it and I think it's fairly new. It's amazing stuff! The texture is better than regular ice cream to me.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

The first pint I got (mint chip flavor) was like this, very dry and powdery even after I let is melt a bit. I swore I wouldn't waste any more money on it, but when my local Wal-Mart started carrying halo top I decided to give it another shot. This time sea salt caramel. Completely different texture! Not quite 'real' ice cream, but far superior to the first pint I had. Not sure if it's a storage thing, a flavour thing, or something else but I've completely changed my opinion of HT now!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

The first pint I got (mint chip flavor) was like this, very dry and powdery even after I let is melt a bit. I swore I wouldn't waste any more money on it, but when my local Wal-Mart started carrying halo top I decided to give it another shot. This time sea salt caramel. Completely different texture! Not quite 'real' ice cream, but far superior to the first pint I had. Not sure if it's a storage thing, a flavour thing, or something else but I've completely changed my opinion of HT now!

Yeah, I think because it must be tricky to make the different flavors so low calorie, they come out in different textures. ALSO the shipping can screw it up. I got a pretty weirdly textured chocolate one last night.

I squeeze the pint before I buy it. If I feel too much air I won't get it. I don't know if it happens in the factory or shipping, but sometimes the ice cream is like...shrunk. Or the pint isn't all the way full.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »

Yeah, I think because it must be tricky to make the different flavors so low calorie, they come out in different textures. ALSO the shipping can screw it up. I got a pretty weirdly textured chocolate one last night.

I squeeze the pint before I buy it. If I feel too much air I won't get it. I don't know if it happens in the factory or shipping, but sometimes the ice cream is like...shrunk. Or the pint isn't all the way full.

It's quite disheartening to pay so much for a treat only to have it randomly turn out awful. I'm going to start squeezing more than just avocados I guess :wink:
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Halo top makes me feel like a queen
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I expected to hate it, but Stop & Shop gave me a coupon for a free pint of Enlightened. I got the mint chocolate chip and it wasn't bad. I like their caramel too. Then they stopped carrying it >.<

I was at another store that had Halo Top on sale so picked up their caramel and chocolate. Didn't like the chocolate. I later tried Cookies & Cream and Black Cherry. So far caramel is my fave, and chocolate least fave.

Not happy about the price, though. $4.99 seems to be the regular price around here, and that is just too much for fake ice cream, as far as I'm concerned.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all the Whole Foods locations here in Chicago carry it, along with all the hipster specialty grocers. I must admit when I saw the calorie count on it I thought to myself; "ok, so this is going to taste about like frozen sawdust" but I was pleasantly surprised that it tastes sorta like normal ice cream.

Of those I have tried, mint chip is my hands down favorite as far as maximum flavor with minimal calories at 240. Think about that for second....A Quest bar that I often use as a meal replacement has 200 calories, and I can polish off a whole pint of ice cream for a mere 240? That sounds like a winner in my book.

I am not really a guy that has a massive sweet tooth, but when I have the urge I am glad this stuff is around.
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was like what the heck is Halo Top, a Google search later all I can say is THANK YOU.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So HT must have made a big push into the national market, because now they carry a bunch of flavors in Walmart and Targets around here. I guess that's why all these threads are popping up!

A word of caution - if you don't have much experience with sugar alcohols, don't eat the first pint all at once , eat a serving and make sure it agrees with you. Some people (like me) have some ummm digestive difficulty with them. I can eat a third, maybe a half, a pint of HT and I'm fine. Anymore than that and I'm in the fetal position about an hour later. :(

I personally don't like the plainer flavors. The peanut butter cup is pretty darn good. I just don't have the budget to buy more than a pint or two per month. In between i get Edys Slow churned.