How often do YOU eat fast food/takeout/restaurant food?

Options

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat fast food. I'm vegetarian and most fast food isn't. Of the fast food that I can eat, I don't enjoy most of it enough to justify the calories.

We go to sit-down restaurants about 2-3 times a week, usually for brunch or lunch on the weekends. My husband loves going out to eat, and it's really hard for me to log accurately if we go out, so I'm really trying to compromise on where and how often we go out.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Rarely for a meal do I go get fast food.. I make one exception - sopraffina restaurant.. which has quick salads and oatmeal and stuff I can eat - to go.. when I have been too busy to cook my own food. the other stuff is just too tempting.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Never. 100% clean nutritional plan here . I only eat extra lean protein, steel cut oats, flaxseed, and do vegetable juicing twice a day. I have no desire for processed food like product or junk. If it didn't grow out of the ground or come from an animal I don't eat it.

Setting aside all the other issues with those limitations (cooked veg are bad? a ribeye is unclean? a salmon is bad), I am glad to know that restaurant chefs all make "processed food like product or junk." I mean, they cook food, but so do I, at home, even my "extra lean protein" and "steel cut oats" when I have them (pro tip, doing steel cut oats in a rice cooker works great).

Salmon is a much better source for omega 3 than flaxseed, btw. http://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/why-not-flaxseed-oil

I feel as if this shouldn't even be necessary to point out, but there are chefs doing amazing things with food. I love to cook, especially vegetables, but some of my most exciting and amazing food experiences have been when I have paid talented and inspired people to cook for me.

• FlippingFins
    FlippingFins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd say two 'eating out'/fast food experiences per month, on average. Maybe one, but more likely two.

But I do have ready meals three times a week, nowadays, so those might count as 'fast food'. This is because my toddler's very recently become a fussy eater and they do sell healthy toddler-friendly ready meals that have turned out to be only way I can get her to eat properly with very limited time. Plus, she's soon to go to nursery and when she does, I'll be eating on my own and will want something very quick and easy whilst she's off being fed proper food by someone else. Unfortunately, finding 'grown up' ready meals made only of natural ingredients with no added rubbish is an altogether different ball game, so mine are no doubt significantly worse than hers (though I'm usually still very careful about salt levels etc.)
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    For those who eat out at restaurants at a higher frequency, how do you manage that while trying to lose weight?

Every time I try to have balance on a deficit by eating out, I find I gain weight (and I don't mean just water weight), even if I only go out 1-2 times a month. It's caused me some anxiety because unless a restaurant posts its calories, I don't want to go, and end up missing out. I want the balance, but hate the step back my body ends up taking. Any advice would be super appreciated!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Never. 100% clean nutritional plan here . I only eat extra lean protein, steel cut oats, flaxseed, and do vegetable juicing twice a day. I have no desire for processed food like product or junk. If it didn't grow out of the ground or come from an animal I don't eat it.

Setting aside all the other issues with those limitations (cooked veg are bad? a ribeye is unclean? a salmon is bad), I am glad to know that restaurant chefs all make "processed food like product or junk." I mean, they cook food, but so do I, at home, even my "extra lean protein" and "steel cut oats" when I have them (pro tip, doing steel cut oats in a rice cooker works great).

Salmon is a much better source for omega 3 than flaxseed, btw. http://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/why-not-flaxseed-oil

I feel as if this shouldn't even be necessary to point out, but there are chefs doing amazing things with food. I love to cook, especially vegetables, but some of my most exciting and amazing food experiences have been when I have paid talented and inspired people to cook for me.

Yes, exactly. I've said this before, but I attribute my love for vegetables (vs. the grudging "they are okay and of course one should eat them" I reached college with) to trying good restaurants with really well-cooked vegetables and interesting preparations. A lot of my other love for interesting, well-cooked whole foods too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kaygold wrote: »
    For those who eat out at restaurants at a higher frequency, how do you manage that while trying to lose weight?

I went out about once a week (to a restaurant for dinner, no calories given -- I probably ate about once a week at a quick serve place with calories that had a salad with protein or something else that fit into my plan). I'd start with the assumption that even if I was not overly indulgent it would be high cal. I started by eating very little that day and that didn't work -- I over ate. After that I usually saved some exercise calories during the week and ate lighter than usual but not super low the day of and ate reasonably -- focusing usually on getting protein and vegetables. If the serving was big I noted that at the beginning and decided how much I would eat before I started. I didn't eat the bread on the table or get dessert just because I was at a restaurant. I don't drink, so that's a calorie savings, although you can certainly work in a glass of wine. If I planned to go to a favorite local pizza place, I'd usually eat higher in protein, lower in fat and carbs for breakfast and lunch, as my pizza always tends to be a bit low protein.

I always lost on schedule. I think I was below maintenance on restaurant days, but higher than on my other days.

If you just mean you are up the day after (which is not actually something I experienced), it's probably just water weight.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    kaygold wrote: »

Every time I try to have balance on a deficit by eating out, I find I gain weight (and I don't mean just water weight), even if I only go out 1-2 times a month. It's caused me some anxiety because unless a restaurant posts its calories, I don't want to go, and end up missing out. I want the balance, but hate the step back my body ends up taking. Any advice would be super appreciated!

Because weight fluctuations don't bother me.
  • EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

That sounds unnecessarily restrictive...

I have a severe digestive disorder and can't eat 95% of the food available at supermarkets. Mostly rice based products I can have. No dairy, egg, soy, processed, fruits, fresh veggies (can juice to remove fiber), artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, more than a half dozen grams of sugar, among other things. :(

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I have a severe digestive disorder and can't eat 95% of the food available at supermarkets. Mostly rice based products I can have. No dairy, egg, soy, processed, fruits, fresh veggies (can juice to remove fiber), artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, more than a half dozen grams of sugar, among other things. :(

That's unfortunate but I'm not understanding how that makes anything that doesn't come from the ground or an animal "junk" for the rest of us.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Rarely eat out.
  • EricExtreme
    Options

That's unfortunate but I'm not understanding how that makes anything that doesn't come from the ground or an animal "junk" for the rest of us.

Most food available in supermarkets is either processed or junk food. The western diet is based upon primarily taste and ease of use (and what is the cheapest way for the manufacturer to make it.) I shop the perimeter of the store for fresh food sans the rolled oats. Due to my health ailment I really can't go near processed foods (and junk food is out of the question) and have to stick to fresh foods. It's better for me anyway. My digestive issue saves me from the temptation to eat unhealthy because I really can't do it.
  • bapity88
    bapity88 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I eat out at least once a week on Wednesdays because I go to bar trivia at an Irish pub. Authentic Irish food is amazing. Besides that, I usually only eat out once every other week or so. I'm obsessed with Taco Bell, so I have to indulge every now and then so I don't go crazy.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Most food available in supermarkets is either processed or junk food. The western diet is based upon primarily taste and ease of use (and what is the cheapest way for the manufacturer to make it.) I shop the perimeter of the store for fresh food sans the rolled oats. Due to my health ailment I really can't go near processed foods (and junk food is out of the question) and have to stick to fresh foods. It's better for me anyway. My digestive issue saves me from the temptation to eat unhealthy because I really can't do it.

I agree that much of the food that is commercially available is processed in some way. That doesn't make it junk. It's just food, and things like bagged salad, baby carrots, Greek yogurt, rice and quinoa can all be part of a healthful diet. So can packaged lunch meat, sandwich bread, dried pasta, jarred tomato sauce, frozen vegetables, milk, precooked chicken breast, frozen meals, and gelato.... all of the above are staples in my diet, none of which are junk.

None of that has anything to do with eating in restaurants which is what this thread is about. How is a local farm to table restaurant which prides itself on locally sourced ingredients (presumably many of which come from the ground or animals) "junk"?

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If I'm living alone like I am now, I prepare all my own food except maybe one day if I'm running late and didn't have time to make lunch.
    If I'm with my boyfriend, it's typical to eat out at restaurants twice on the weekends.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

How about you don't label food and just call it food. Just because you can't eat it doesn't make it junk. :noway:
  • EricExtreme
    Options

I agree that much of the food that is commercially available is processed in some way. That doesn't make it junk. It's just food, and things like bagged salad, baby carrots, Greek yogurt, rice and quinoa can all be part of a healthful diet. So can packaged lunch meat, sandwich bread, dried pasta, jarred tomato sauce, frozen vegetables, milk, precooked chicken breast, frozen meals, and gelato.... all of the above are staples in my diet, none of which are junk.

None of that has anything to do with eating in restaurants which is what this thread is about. How is a local farm to table restaurant which prides itself on locally sourced ingredients (presumably many of which come from the ground or animals) "junk"?

How about you don't label food and just call it food. Just because you can't eat it doesn't make it junk. :noway:

I believe that you two are misunderstanding me. I am referring to junk food as in snack cakes, cookies, chips... the usual. Food with little or no nutritional value that is eaten for pure enjoyment. Not everything else.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

I believe that you two are misunderstanding me. I am referring to junk food as in snack cakes, cookies, chips... the usual. Food with little or no nutritional value that is eaten for pure enjoyment. Not everything else.

But that's not what this thread is about.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

But that's not what this thread is about.

This.. and also, those things can be part of an overall balanced, healthy diet.