RICE?!?!

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    If you really want to slash your rice calories, give riced cauliflower a try. Low carb, low calorie and full of vitamins and minerals. I personally don't eat rice, it's very easy to overeat (and consume way too many calories) and it doesn't keep me full at all. I'd rather spend my calories on something full of nutrients.

This is my literal reaction to riced cauliflower and all cauliflower substitutes, lol

y3PWaHz.gif

And honestly, I have tried a bunch of recipes.. never got into it.

LOL, that's fair. It's not for everybody. I find that it needs to be cooked/roasted to get the sulfury smell out, then seasoned well with salt and spices.

I used to hate cauliflower but I'm warming up to it. I'm sitting here right now eating roasted cauliflower swimming in cream cheese garlic sauce and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    I love basamati and Jasmine rice
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    Jasmine rice is my favorite
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I only eat Basmati... Because it's yummy.. and it's the only one I can cook. :D I am a pretty decent cook too.. but I don't know why I can't do rice. I have tried everything, even rice cookers and I still mess up white rice. Bah..
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I love rice-- all kinds-- and am told by many that I make the absolute best. (I use Basmati.) Unfortunately, there's no good rice when you're dieting. Brown rice at least has more fiber but it's still high in calories and has a high glycemic index.

I've tried turning cauliflower into rice with a food processor and microwave, but I'm not impressed. (Although I've had great luck making breadsticks and pizza crust out of cauliflower.)

Here's my favorite rice substitute:

Buy a 1 pound bag of store brand frozen cauliflower florets and dump it into a one gallon zip lock bag. Drizzle in a little olive oil and shake it up until it's distributed. Pour it out onto a cookie sheet and broil (on low) or bake (at 400 degrees) until many of them are golden brown. A few black spots are okay, too.

It's okay to turn them once or twice but don't overwork them.

About a minute before they're done, sprinkle some garlic powder, onion powder, and even a little cayenne on top.

I've found that all that yummy brown roasted flavor almost has a paella flavor and the cauliflower is delicious enough to use wherever you would otherwise use rice. You can put tomato sauce over it, or a light mushroom sauce, or just eat it plain.

Don't throw the zip lock bag in the trash. I put mine in the vegetable crisper, in the refrigerator, and use them a few more times since we eat roasted vegetables every day.

BTW-- try using the same method for fresh string beans and let them get good and brown and a little crispy. You'll never miss french fries again. I still can't believe how good they are-- especially since I'm normally only lukewarm on string beans.

I ate rice when I was in a calorie deficit. As long as you're accounting for the calories, I'm not sure what is wrong with it when you're dieting.

Same, I'm getting the majority of my carbs from rice right now. (Jasmine)
    I find it pretty filling/satisfying.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Brown rice is the only one I buy since it is more filling to me.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Cauliflower cooked as cauliflower is fine! I like it roasted with olive oil. But yeah, I'm on the 'it's not rice or potatoes' couch. I like Jasmine rice. We buy it by the 5-lb bag and have rice-based dishes 2-3 nights/week. I also like short-grain brown rice, but usually only cook that if I'm just cooking for myself and not the entire family.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited May 2017
    DamieBird wrote: »
    If you really want to slash your rice calories, give riced cauliflower a try. Low carb, low calorie and full of vitamins and minerals. I personally don't eat rice, it's very easy to overeat (and consume way too many calories) and it doesn't keep me full at all. I'd rather spend my calories on something full of nutrients.

This is my literal reaction to riced cauliflower and all cauliflower substitutes, lol

y3PWaHz.gif

This ^^^^^^

Cauliflower "substitutes" make me irrationally angry. There's nothing wrong with rice or potatoes. DO NOT tell me that cauliflower 'rice' or 'mashed potatoes' is basically the same. No. NO IT IS NOT!! They do not taste the same, they do not have the same texture, and they will never satisfy the same.

That being said - cauliflower on its own roasted with some garlic, is freaking delicious! I love all manner of roasted veggies, and I eat some version of them just about every day. Please stop messing with tasty, tasty cauliflower and trying to make it into something that it's not meant to be, and PLEASE leave my rice and mashed potatoes alone!

*opinions in this post are mine alone, and as previously stated, I am well aware of my bias against cauliflower 'fakes' ;)

Of course it's not the same, but it is a good substitute. If you're eating low-carb or simply want to reduce your calories, it gets the job done. Sure, there's nothing inherently wrong with potatoes or rice, but some people choose to make substitutions for different reasons... I dunno why that would make you angry!

I think mashed cauliflower with some cream cheese, butter and salt is hella tasty and satisfying and close enough to the real thing that I don't mind it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I typically go for a mixed rice. Most have brown, red and wild rice. Some also have white, some have quinoa. I don't go for a specific brand just look for something on sale or reasonably priced. I usually mix in chia seeds to up the fiber content a bit.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member

y3PWaHz.gif

This ^^^^^^

Cauliflower "substitutes" make me irrationally angry. There's nothing wrong with rice or potatoes. DO NOT tell me that cauliflower 'rice' or 'mashed potatoes' is basically the same. No. NO IT IS NOT!! They do not taste the same, they do not have the same texture, and they will never satisfy the same.

That being said - cauliflower on its own roasted with some garlic, is freaking delicious! I love all manner of roasted veggies, and I eat some version of them just about every day. Please stop messing with tasty, tasty cauliflower and trying to make it into something that it's not meant to be, and PLEASE leave my rice and mashed potatoes alone!

*opinions in this post are mine alone, and as previously stated, I am well aware of my bias against cauliflower 'fakes' ;)

Of course it's not the same, but it is a good substitute. If you're eating low-carb or simply want to reduce your calories, it gets the job done. Sure, there's nothing inherently wrong with potatoes or rice, but some people choose to make substitutions for different reasons... I dunno why that would make you angry!

I think mashed cauliflower with some cream cheese, butter and salt is hella tasty and satisfying and close enough to the real thing that I don't mind it.

TBH, I can't really pinpoint why, either, I just know that something about it irks me to no end. I'm aware that it's irrational. I'm all for people eating what they like in amounts that fit whatever their lifestyle/diet choices are, and I think part of the reason why I hate the substitute thing is because when it was first blowing up all over Pinterest and other places, it was touted as this magical swap that would make everything *so much better*. I was surrounded by a lot of paleo-ites at the time, too, so part of my reaction to the cauliflower swaps could also be tied up in the idea of all those paleo treats that people thought were so much healthier for you, that were actually just an extra 300 calories worth of nut flours and agave. It drove me crazy.

In the end, if you enjoy a vegetable prepared a certain way, by all means enjoy that veggie! It just makes me sad/mad that people feel like they have to deprive themselves of something that they enjoy because some website or blog or other says that swapping *this* for *that* tastes just that same! and it's so much healthier! (to be clear - not what I think you're doing :) ). I was watching one of those 'how to make holiday food healthier' specials a couple of years ago, and they did exactly that with the mashed potatoes vs. mashed cauliflower and I practically yelled at the TV on behalf of all of the poor people who want to be healthy but also love mashed potatoes.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

y3PWaHz.gif

This ^^^^^^

I love rice but unfortunately as a diabetic I find that it spikes my blood sugar worse than any other food. It might as well be candy, even a small amount such as 1/4 cup of cooked rice makes my numbers freak out. I can eat potatoes all day long with no problems, bread is only a problem if I eat a lot, any rice is too much rice.

When possible, I substitute quinoa, which has just as many carbs but doesn't spike my sugars. Unfortunately there are Chinese and Indian meals which are just not the same without rice. Enter cauliflower rice. Yes, it sucks, but it's better than nothing.

By the way, I don't like cauliflower mashed potatoes by themselves, but roasted cauliflower half and half with sweet potatoes and a little garlic, butter and milk makes the best mashed "potatoes" ever.
  • DamieBird

y3PWaHz.gif

This ^^^^^^

I love rice but unfortunately as a diabetic I find that it spikes my blood sugar worse than any other food. It might as well be candy, even a small amount such as 1/4 cup of cooked rice makes my numbers freak out. I can eat potatoes all day long with no problems, bread is only a problem if I eat a lot, any rice is too much rice.

When possible, I substitute quinoa, which has just as many carbs but doesn't spike my sugars. Unfortunately there are Chinese and Indian meals which are just not the same without rice. Enter cauliflower rice. Yes, it sucks, but it's better than nothing.

By the way, I don't like cauliflower mashed potatoes by themselves, but roasted cauliflower half and half with sweet potatoes and a little garlic, butter and milk makes the best mashed "potatoes" ever.

I'm sad that you have so many problems with rice :(. As you said, some dishes just aren't the same. . . .

I should also be clear that I have no hate for mashed cauliflower, or cauliflower puree - done right it's very tasty. I just cringe at people calling mashed *not potato*, "mashed potatoes". Although - with at least half sweet potato as an ingredient, I think your recipe qualifies (and sounds delicious ;)! )
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Well I certainly didn't mean to offend by suggesting cauliflower-- but, then again, this is the age of strong reactions to minor things, so I'll be more careful in the future.

Trigger Warning: I will be mentioning cauliflower again. Please don't read any farther if this might offend you.

I'm not a fan of steamed cauliflower or any of the other "wet" versions. I do love it roasted, however. And my breadsticks and pizza crust are pretty popular, when I make them.

The secret to creamy cauliflower mash, without driving the calories way up, is to blend it with (trigger warning for sodium watchers: contains lots of sodium) condensed cream of mushroom (or cream of celery or chicken). If you're watching your sodium you could always make homemade.

I also deeply apologize for my comment that there's no good rice for dieting. I should have said "there's no good rice for dieting if you're the kind of person who, like me, isn't satisfied with only 1 cup."

When I eat rice I like to dive into the deep end and I don't come up until I've eaten 2 to 3 cups.

Carry on.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I usually buy plain white rice (it's the cheapest) - I typically use it for rice & beans (with meat & veggies and spicy seasonings). I used to splurge on basmati sometimes (I love the taste) but rarely do now that I count calories (rice is so calorie dense, that I either need to bulk it out with a lot of veggies or eat a miniscule portion - so I usually just buy the cheapest).

On nutrition: Yes, whole grain starchy stuff typically contains slightly more fiber & protein, but it is an extremely miniscule difference. As in it won't really make a dent in meeting requirements.
  • love2smock
    love2smock Posts: 5 Member
    Rice is still a carb (if you are limiting them). I think I love all kinds of rice, but have to avoid it. Try cooking your rice in non-fat chicken broth. MMMMMM.
  • finallychelle
    It's calorie dense.
  • DamieBird
    I love rice-- all kinds-- and am told by many that I make the absolute best. (I use Basmati.) Unfortunately, there's no good rice when you're dieting. Brown rice at least has more fiber but it's still high in calories and has a high glycemic index.

I've tried turning cauliflower into rice with a food processor and microwave, but I'm not impressed. (Although I've had great luck making breadsticks and pizza crust out of cauliflower.)

Here's my favorite rice substitute:

Buy a 1 pound bag of store brand frozen cauliflower florets and dump it into a one gallon zip lock bag. Drizzle in a little olive oil and shake it up until it's distributed. Pour it out onto a cookie sheet and broil (on low) or bake (at 400 degrees) until many of them are golden brown. A few black spots are okay, too.

It's okay to turn them once or twice but don't overwork them.

About a minute before they're done, sprinkle some garlic powder, onion powder, and even a little cayenne on top.

I've found that all that yummy brown roasted flavor almost has a paella flavor and the cauliflower is delicious enough to use wherever you would otherwise use rice. You can put tomato sauce over it, or a light mushroom sauce, or just eat it plain.

Don't throw the zip lock bag in the trash. I put mine in the vegetable crisper, in the refrigerator, and use them a few more times since we eat roasted vegetables every day.

BTW-- try using the same method for fresh string beans and let them get good and brown and a little crispy. You'll never miss french fries again. I still can't believe how good they are-- especially since I'm normally only lukewarm on string beans.

Can you tell me why rice isn't good for using when trying to lose weight?

Rice is fine, it's just relatively calorie dense, so you need to be more aware of your portions is all. For volume eaters, it may not be the best option in terms of amount of food for the calories. If you're satisfied with 3/4 to 1 cup serving of rice along with your meat and vegetables, or can otherwise fit however much you like to eat into your goals, there's nothing wrong with it at all!
  • finallychelle
    You obviously didn't bother to read the heartfelt apology in my comment, above.

You go ahead and eat whatever your heart desires.

I hadn't posted in the forum in a few years and hadn't realized how easy it is to get people riled up nowadays.