Fasting 28 days?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Probably won't happen. don't overemphasize it and he'll quit soon enough. (If he doesn't, it will be obvious to everyone around him.)
  • Sythfia
    Sythfia Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sythfia wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Wasn't joking about refeeding syndrome if he has truly been fasting.

Yeah I saw your original post and I agree completely, I told him about what you mentioned and what refeeding syndrome was, he did have some second thoughts but then proceeds to say he's done the research in fasting and nothing will happen to him. But thank you, I'll be sure to push the topic a bit more.

I wonder what research he found that says this is a good idea. I mean, Muslims fast from sun up to sun down for 30 days Ramadan, but the can eat after sun down. My friends who do this say it's very difficult, especially when it falls in the summer months. He most likely won't last two days. Regardless, he's a minor and his parents can be checked into the hospital and given a feeding tube without his consent if he insists on starving himself.

Well Tyrone magnus is one person who is promoting the bs on youtube (1 mil subs). Late reply sorry. But lil bro is not doing it as far as I know now. It's been a couple of days since I posted. So that's a update.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Yeah I saw your original post and I agree completely, I told him about what you mentioned and what refeeding syndrome was, he did have some second thoughts but then proceeds to say he's done the research in fasting and nothing will happen to him. But thank you, I'll be sure to push the topic a bit more.

I wonder what research he found that says this is a good idea. I mean, Muslims fast from sun up to sun down for 30 days Ramadan, but the can eat after sun down. My friends who do this say it's very difficult, especially when it falls in the summer months. He most likely won't last two days. Regardless, he's a minor and his parents can be checked into the hospital and given a feeding tube without his consent if he insists on starving himself.

Well Tyrone magnus is one person who is promoting the bs on youtube (1 mil subs). Late reply sorry. But lil bro is not doing it as far as I know now. It's been a couple of days since I posted. So that's a update.

I would report it to youtube. not sure if anything will be done about it but worth a try.
  • ChristinePearlFNP
    ChristinePearlFNP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    He Will die. Period. ...or at least come very close. From a medical professional, this is the dumbest idea. Good way to have a cardiac arrest or organ failure....if he's 15, I'd be letting his parents know.... like ASAP
  • Cannonfury
    Cannonfury Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    nooo this is very dangerous

A lady died doing a water challenge for a radio station by drinking a bunch of water..

Now, he could do this. Eat a little something at like 5 am & then do not eat all day until sunset. Try not to drink either but water is ok if not in excess.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    28 days?? That should for sure cause starvation mode.

I sometimes fast for weight loss but never more than 1.5 days.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Cannonfury wrote: »

A lady died doing a water challenge for a radio station by drinking a bunch of water..

Now, he could do this. Eat a little something at like 5 am & then do not eat all day until sunset. Try not to drink either but water is ok if not in excess.

she died from water toxicity because she was not allowed to go to the bathroom. if its the same one Im thinking she did it to win a car,you couldnt leave the car at any point.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Cannonfury wrote: »

There was a woman who died holding her "wee for a wii" while drinking as much water as possible. Different situation.

Also this is a child.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    yazismail wrote: »

Hi, random Muslim here.

Yes we do fast sunrise to sunset for up to 30 days each year, but we do eat and drink water while the sun is down, so I don't think it can really be compared to having mostly water for 28 days.

Fasting Ramadan the "correct" way requires a lot of planning so that nutrients and water intake are well balanced, I often drink an electrolyte supplement that I would otherwise never drink. Fiber is also a huge concern.

Also if we become ill then we break our fast until we become better.

I usually lose about 3-4 pounds in Ramadan... and then gain it back within two months. :(

I hope you know was totally not trying to compare a 28 day water fast to Ramadan! I was just saying it's the only situation I know of where people fast for that long and pointing out that they are still eating after sundown. My ex-husband is Muslim and spent a week with his family in Turkey during Ramadan. His family doesn't fast but I learned still got to learn all about it while I was there. It was in October so we were usually eating dinner around the time everyone was breaking fast. The resturaunts were packed and they had special menu items they only serve during Ramadan. It was amazing how many people gathered to picnic together outside Sultan Ahmed Mosque (Blue Mosque) and Hagia Sophia. I'll always be grateful I was able to visit Turkey during this time so I could learn more about the practice.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'd probably start by asking him why he wants to die.
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Is he serious?