Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can diet affect your mental health?

Options

Replies

• ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact when I was undereating and malnourished at one time my mental state was not okay. My hormones were all out of whack and I had no desire to do anything and I would cry at everything. Over time I got better and the more happier I became. I had more energy and wanted to do more things. I have read so many articles that discuss the effects of undereating and overtraining and depression and anxiety are both big red flags.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It certainly can't help! From my own experience, when you're feeling low you also don't take care of yourself as well as you should...you can get out of shape and that feeds back into your negative feelings as your self-image is going to suffer as you become in poor shape.

All of this stuff is probably intertwined, in my opinion. I think it would be associated with mood disorders and probably some other things as well.

Now, I really don't think eating junk food is going to develop in you a dissociative identity or make you into a borderline personality or anything...but who knows? Bad food/chemicals could all be a factor in any number of things affecting your mental health.

I just don't know how they would ever prove it if that were really true.

But...it would only be a factor. I think your personal biology and the learning/stresses that affect you in your environment as you come to age are going to be way more of a factor than bad food.

I also think that when you start to clean up your diet and exercise you're going to feel a lot better...I'm pretty sure that has been looked at before and found to be true but I don't have anything to reference. It does make sense that it would be true.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments and links everyone. Really appreciate your input into this question.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Eating 'clean' and nutritionally balanced meals helps my mood be more balanced (I have bipolar disorder), however it is not in itself enough to control my mental illness. I also take a mood stabiliser called lithium.

When I am unwell - depressed, manic or mixed - I don't eat as well as my capacity to look after myself is diminished.

It's like the pot conversation: does pot trigger mental illness in some (yes) or are some people who use pot drawn to pot and other drugs to self medicate (also yes) ... both explain the high coronation between certain types of mental illness but neither is difinitive in a cause and effect sense.

Food/diet draws similar corolations.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Actually, a very famous murder case was defended with "The Twinkie Defense." The man who murdered Harvey Milk received something crazy like 2 years in prison due to his junk food diet causing erratic behavior.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Diet as what meaning? What someone eats? Or when someone is in a calorie deficit. Either way one could argue there is a very likely chance. When you go on a "diet" meaning you are eating less to loose weight you put stress on your body, top that with a moderate exercise regimen and your stressing it even more. We all know how stress can affect us mentally. The other way of what someones diet is when they eat *kitten*, they feel like *kitten*.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Your friend is both right and wrong. Mental health CAN be affected by diet, but in many cases a bad diet is a symptom of poor mental health. It's not an either or, that would be too simplistic. One can co-exist with the other without having caused it although there are cases where it can.

A nervous dieter worrying about every detail to perfection may make their anxiety worse, while an excited dieter feeling positive changes may feel better even if it's not strictly caused by nutrition. Don't forget the positive impact of exercise which often goes hand in hand with "trying to eat better".

ETA: this topic reminded me of a couple of small interesting studies some time ago.
    Https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25862297
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26706022

Did these have full-text out there anywhere easily accessible? I just wanted to be a geek and take a closer look, but these look paywalled. I think these have been referenced in other things I have read but I haven't dug into them yet.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Your friend is both right and wrong. Mental health CAN be affected by diet, but in many cases a bad diet is a symptom of poor mental health. It's not an either or, that would be too simplistic. One can co-exist with the other without having caused it although there are cases where it can.

A nervous dieter worrying about every detail to perfection may make their anxiety worse, while an excited dieter feeling positive changes may feel better even if it's not strictly caused by nutrition. Don't forget the positive impact of exercise which often goes hand in hand with "trying to eat better".

ETA: this topic reminded me of a couple of small interesting studies some time ago.
    Https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25862297
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26706022

Did these have full-text out there anywhere easily accessible? I just wanted to be a geek and take a closer look, but these look paywalled. I think these have been referenced in other things I have read but I haven't dug into them yet.

Unfortunately I don't. I think I found one one of them through a research review, but I don't remember which and where.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Your diet and exercise regimen can affect your mental health. I always feel better if I exercise, even just a brisk walk and what I put in to my body affects how I feel as well. There are foods that I eat that will make me feel moody or grouchy after I eat them so I avoid them.