Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can diet affect your mental health?

Replies

• fpmferreira
    fpmferreira Posts: 21 Member
    Yes, for sure.
    That is why I am not a fan of long term diets.
    Food restrictions yes, long term diets no thank you.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    From my personal experience with depression, I think it's a little bit of both. I know that when I'm struggling with depression, I eat terribly (way too many calories and little fruits or vegetables). When I'm feeling good, I eat better.

However, I find that if I can recognize that I'm in the downward depression spiral (which isn't always easy to admit) and I start eating better and exercising, I find that I start feeling better. So, for me, it's both.

I have the exact same experience.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited July 2017
    Daily mood? Sure.
    Deficiencies in some vitamins? Yes.
    Mental illness from diet? No.
    *course there are varying degrees of what people consider "mentally ill".
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited July 2017
    I used to ask that question all the time and to be honest with you from personal experience changing my diet has improved my moods my cognitive thinking and my overall health. Also a film came out within the past few years called that Sugar film it was actually really interesting documentary. If you have Amazon Prime it is free. It makes some interesting points

@ScaledArtistHair most all health professionals agree diet can have a huge impact on our mental and physical well being. Still sometimes we may need Rx Meds in the short run for mental and physical issues that may be diet related while we work to change our Way Of Eating to address these mental/physical health issues by finding a better WOE in their personal case that can greatly vary from person to person.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    fbchick51 wrote: »
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Can diet affect your mental health?

This statement, is absolutely true. Exercise (or lack of) effects our mental health too.

Macy9336 wrote: »
    However, this person claimed that these people were mentally unwell BECAUSE they had a bad diet.

This, however is not. While we don't know the exact causes of mental illness, most research shows much stronger correlations between genetics and early development (Inutero thru early childhood) then it does to life events, diet or exercise. Then it also depends on which illness you are talking about. Some mental illness show very little improvement with diet or exercise (schizophrenia, autism), while others show stronger correlations (Depression, bipolar).

For me personal experience, I was diagnosed with mild bipolar as a child (along with my mother and we suspect my grandfather had issues too). At the time, I had no weight issues, nor did I have weight issues for nearly 15 years AFTER being diagnosed with mental illness. I was also able to manage my depressive states through diet, exercise and therapy. It wasn't until my pregnancies that I had to resort to medication for my depressive states. Coincidentally, that is also when I started down the road towards obesity. Interestingly enough, I was also able to come off the medication shortly after each child was born, even though my diet and exercise hadn't really improved yet. The only other time I had to resort to medication was when I went full stop on training/workouts in an effort to try and save my marriage. Within 4 months, my depression was spiraling bad enough that I went back to therapy and drugs until I said to hell with it (and the marriage) and got back on track with my workouts. I was back off the drugs within 2 months, even though my diet was crap (mostly fast food and take out).

Diet CAN affect mental health negatively, but the other way around is more common. When I attempted a very low carb diet it messed with my brain chemistry and brought back issues I thought I left behind in my teen years. Things that are way out of character for me. Increasing my carbs resolved those issues and I was myself again.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    This is a circular feedback loop. The brain operates on a complex series of biochemical reactions ultimately fueled by what we eat, so it stands to reason that a specific nutritional deficiency would impact mental health which has the potential of impacting decisions.

Specifically to obesity; however I think this has more to do with a victim mentality and the feeling of hopelessness. There is certainly correlation, but causation? Nearly impossible to identify if it does exist.

Interesting that many cults engage in specific tactics to make their subjects more susceptible - nutrient deprivation (particularly protein), sleep deprivation, etc.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Mental health is a bit broad...maybe depression. Does a bad diet contribute to Schizophrenia? BPD? Othello Syndrome? No it doesn't :/