How damaging is having too much sugar in your diet?

Options

Replies

• ilovefood9998
    ilovefood9998 Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

PAV8888 wrote: »
    Replacing sugar pop with diet pop or water is a great idea. Fruit juice... not as much... Eat your fruit!

Moving beyond that... you are an 18yo at the prime of your muscle building potential. It is crazy to be concerned with reducing a 2200 calorie diet into a 1500 calorie one to lose weight unless you are significantly overweight or obese. Which you have said you aren't.

First I would examine how accurate your calculations are, but beyond that, I would concentrate on increasing movement and exercise, eating a healthy variety of food in normal portions and possibly on strength building exercises as opposed to trying to reduce body weight by reducing food intake.

I am overweight I am 5'9 and around 185-190 pounds I need to be around 150 pounds I have zero muscle mass I want to lose weight first so then i can gain muscle afterwards. I need a calorie deficit in order to lose the weight first and thats why i am eating 1500 calorie. The removal of soda alone is 800 calories less per day. The only exercise I do is walk I can only do around 10 sit ups and the next day I will be aching :(

• kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You really should be drinking more water. Around 7 years ago, I quit soda (2-3 cans a day + juice) and now I rarely have Sprite on the occasion.

If you like flavored drinks, consider Crystal lite packets or fruit infused water. It might help and keep you hydrated.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    kayeroze wrote: »
    You really should be drinking more water. Around 7 years ago, I quit soda (2-3 cans a day + juice) and now I rarely have Sprite on the occasion.

If you like flavored drinks, consider Crystal lite packets or fruit infused water. It might help and keep you hydrated.

Why though? Diet coke etc is pretty much 99% water. It's basically flavoured water. Juice is bad in large doses because of the calories, but all liquids count towards hydration except alcohol. OP is drinking what I understand to be squash, concentrated drink that you add water to. Low calorie, tastes good, almost no sugar, just as hydrating as water... so why shouldn't they drink it? Why must OP suffer through drinking water if they don't like it, and don't have to?
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

I use the Propel packets. No dyes and they have a bit of added vitamins

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    So I was not aware about sugar at all in my diet. I never once even thought about sugar and as I have only just recently started a diet I was more focused on calories. So I am overweight I weigh 185-190 pounds 5'9 and I blame this mainly on my addition with soda. I drink perhaps 5 two litre bottles of the stuff per week. This in total works out at around 4000 extra calories per week just from soda. I recently found out that the average man should have around 38 grams of sugar per day. It turns out that in just 1 two litre bottle of my favourite soda there is 208 grams of sugar which is almost 10 times the amount of sugar I should have in a day. When I put it into a weekly perspective a man should have around 266 grams of sugar a week. From the 5 two litre bottles of soda alone I drink 1040 grams of sugar which is enough sugar for an entire month. This doesn't even include the sugar intake from food. I eat around 35 grams of sugar a day so from food and soda I have around 1300 grams of sugar a week. I am literally surprised i am not dead yet or have some major health issue. I haven't touched soda in a week now and I am so proud of myself I have a constant craving for the stuff but I know I need to remove it completely. Will I see much change in my weight from this. Will I also feel any different like tiredness or fatigued. Would it also be recommended to go see a doctor to see if my blood sugar levels are okay as I haven't been to a doctor since I was around 6 and I am 18 now.

unless you have a medical condition sugar is not dangerous for your health and does not need to be avoided.

The only time one should reduce sugar is if it is crowding out other nutrients, or if sugary foods are consistently putting you in a calorie deficit. surplus.

You can mitigate that by hitting your calorie, micro, and macros targets.

sugar is not toxic, addictive, the second coming of satan, etc...

FTFY :p
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Why though? Diet coke etc is pretty much 99% water. It's basically flavoured water. Juice is bad in large doses because of the calories, but all liquids count towards hydration except alcohol. OP is drinking what I understand to be squash, concentrated drink that you add water to. Low calorie, tastes good, almost no sugar, just as hydrating as water... so why shouldn't they drink it? Why must OP suffer through drinking water if they don't like it, and don't have to?

Yes, it seems that the English/American language barrier has struck. It appears to be almost exactly the same as Mio

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    julielh72 wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with eating fruit. It contains vitamins and fibre. Sugary drinks are one of the worst things you can consume. Liquid sugar and empty calories with no nutritional value at all.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's all fun and games until someone gets diabetes!

Which I did, this past winter, and it sucks, so be happy you stopped now. You're young and more than likely you have escaped any bad effects, but a checkup is a good idea anyway.
    But the diabetes isn't because of sugar. It's much more likely because of your weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Of course sugar causes diabetes. If you consume too much sugar over a long period of time your pancreas gets worn out trying to produce enough insulin to deal with it and the end result is type 2 diabetes. Your liver takes all the excess sugar and turns what the body doesn't need for energy at that moment and turns it into fat. The fat produced is partly LDL cholesterol which in turn blocks your arteries and causes strokes and heart attacks. Your liver also starts to store fat which is not good. The sugar industry has attacked and tried to discredit every scientist who has tried to make this known to society.

No, eating sugar doesn't CAUSE diabetes.

I agree. Excess body fat can also mess with insulin secretion. It's a double edged sword. Over consumption of sugar will contribute heavily to both scenarios. If your level of consumption is under control then fine, no it won't cause type 2 diabetes on it's own. Sadly for some people that's not the case. Type 2 diabetes used to be something associated with age but now people are getting it younger all the time. Sugar is hidden in so much of the foods we eat and manufacturers hide it under the guises of so many different names. They put it in foods specifically aimed at dieters and label them fat free to fool us.

I have never understood the bold - even if you don't know that some of the ingredients are sugar, it says right on the package nutrition label (in the US at least) how much sugar is in the food. How can it be hidden if it's right there on the label?

Mostly because people have never learned and have never been taught to read the label correctly.

They put total sugar content on UK food labels but they don't tell you how much of it is added sugar.

because sugar = sugar ...added vs natural makes zero difference...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    So I was not aware about sugar at all in my diet. I never once even thought about sugar and as I have only just recently started a diet I was more focused on calories. So I am overweight I weigh 185-190 pounds 5'9 and I blame this mainly on my addition with soda. I drink perhaps 5 two litre bottles of the stuff per week. This in total works out at around 4000 extra calories per week just from soda. I recently found out that the average man should have around 38 grams of sugar per day. It turns out that in just 1 two litre bottle of my favourite soda there is 208 grams of sugar which is almost 10 times the amount of sugar I should have in a day. When I put it into a weekly perspective a man should have around 266 grams of sugar a week. From the 5 two litre bottles of soda alone I drink 1040 grams of sugar which is enough sugar for an entire month. This doesn't even include the sugar intake from food. I eat around 35 grams of sugar a day so from food and soda I have around 1300 grams of sugar a week. I am literally surprised i am not dead yet or have some major health issue. I haven't touched soda in a week now and I am so proud of myself I have a constant craving for the stuff but I know I need to remove it completely. Will I see much change in my weight from this. Will I also feel any different like tiredness or fatigued. Would it also be recommended to go see a doctor to see if my blood sugar levels are okay as I haven't been to a doctor since I was around 6 and I am 18 now.

unless you have a medical condition sugar is not dangerous for your health and does not need to be avoided.

The only time one should reduce sugar is if it is crowding out other nutrients, or if sugary foods are consistently putting you in a calorie deficit. surplus.

You can mitigate that by hitting your calorie, micro, and macros targets.

sugar is not toxic, addictive, the second coming of satan, etc...

FTFY :p

whoops.....!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating fruit. It contains vitamins and fibre. Sugary drinks are one of the worst things you can consume. Liquid sugar and empty calories with no nutritional value at all.

Which I did, this past winter, and it sucks, so be happy you stopped now. You're young and more than likely you have escaped any bad effects, but a checkup is a good idea anyway.
    But the diabetes isn't because of sugar. It's much more likely because of your weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Of course sugar causes diabetes. If you consume too much sugar over a long period of time your pancreas gets worn out trying to produce enough insulin to deal with it and the end result is type 2 diabetes. Your liver takes all the excess sugar and turns what the body doesn't need for energy at that moment and turns it into fat. The fat produced is partly LDL cholesterol which in turn blocks your arteries and causes strokes and heart attacks. Your liver also starts to store fat which is not good. The sugar industry has attacked and tried to discredit every scientist who has tried to make this known to society.

I agree. Excess body fat can also mess with insulin secretion. It's a double edged sword. Over consumption of sugar will contribute heavily to both scenarios. If your level of consumption is under control then fine, no it won't cause type 2 diabetes on it's own. Sadly for some people that's not the case. Type 2 diabetes used to be something associated with age but now people are getting it younger all the time. Sugar is hidden in so much of the foods we eat and manufacturers hide it under the guises of so many different names. They put it in foods specifically aimed at dieters and label them fat free to fool us.

I have never understood the bold - even if you don't know that some of the ingredients are sugar, it says right on the package nutrition label (in the US at least) how much sugar is in the food. How can it be hidden if it's right there on the label?

And there's no food item I could think of where you'd be surprised there is sugar in it and there's a substantial amount.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And there's no food item I could think of where you'd be surprised there is sugar in it and there's a substantial amount.

Spaghetti sauce always gets thrown around.

I don't get that one. But, I've never used jarred sauce, either.