Dieting vs. exercising?

Options

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    Yes processed meat is worse than organic grass fed meat, always. If someone is down for it try it. Cause I can guarantee you that you will not see the same effect on your body.

Count the calories the EXACT SAME and eat only clean/bro/healthy/whatever you wanna call them foods, and then eat a similar diet with processed foods, not saying just junk food but even packaged meats, snacks foods etc. and I will guarantee you, do it for 6 weeks of each, if you do the processed foods first, you will either gain weight if you had been eating cleaner, or maintain your weight if you've already been doing that. When you switch over to the clean/healthy/bro foods, you will lose weight and fat.

And add an equal amount of salt, even salt it more if you want, and match the calories and macro's EXACT. I have done this and have seen this effect. A carb is not a carb and even a vegetable is not a vegetable. I am not saying that I only eat clean, organic, whole foods or anything, I am just saying that there is a MASSIVE difference. Anyone who thinks differently, I invite you to try it.

i guess you are not familiar with the twinkie diet...

so you are saying that is Person A is in a 500 calorie deficit of processed food that they will not lose weight? Can you explain to me this magical process that makes processed foods cancel out the universal laws of math and physics????

most people lose on a clean diet because clean foods are less calorie dense and they are replacing calorie dense foods with less calorie dense foods..

for the record, which of the one million definitions of "clean eating" are you operating off??

Nope, I said you would be more efficient in losing fat specifically with the cleaner foods, the ones that are equally as calorically dense in total because the calorie count is the same.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Yes processed meat is worse than organic grass fed meat, always. If someone is down for it try it. Cause I can guarantee you that you will not see the same effect on your body.

Count the calories the EXACT SAME and eat only clean/bro/healthy/whatever you wanna call them foods, and then eat a similar diet with processed foods, not saying just junk food but even packaged meats, snacks foods etc. and I will guarantee you, do it for 6 weeks of each, if you do the processed foods first, you will either gain weight if you had been eating cleaner, or maintain your weight if you've already been doing that. When you switch over to the clean/healthy/bro foods, you will lose weight and fat.

And add an equal amount of salt, even salt it more if you want, and match the calories and macro's EXACT. I have done this and have seen this effect. A carb is not a carb and even a vegetable is not a vegetable. I am not saying that I only eat clean, organic, whole foods or anything, I am just saying that there is a MASSIVE difference. Anyone who thinks differently, I invite you to try it.

It's already been tried. Under clinical conditions, no less. The results will probably surprise you: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/

"Now, the study does have a few limitations that I want to mention explicitly.
    The study only looked at a single meal.   It’s entirely possible that a diet based completely around fast food would show different effects."

So which poster here advocated a diet based completely around fast food? Or are you just positing the usual strawman in such discussions to bolster your position?

Context and dosage matter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

so you are saying that is Person A is in a 500 calorie deficit of processed food that they will not lose weight? Can you explain to me this magical process that makes processed foods cancel out the universal laws of math and physics????

most people lose on a clean diet because clean foods are less calorie dense and they are replacing calorie dense foods with less calorie dense foods..

for the record, which of the one million definitions of "clean eating" are you operating off??

Nope, I said you would be more efficient in losing fat specifically with the cleaner foods, the ones that are equally as calorically dense in total because the calorie count is the same.

ok, still wrong though...
  • Rammer123
    Options

It's already been tried. Under clinical conditions, no less. The results will probably surprise you: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/

The study only looked at a single meal.   It’s entirely possible that a diet based completely around fast food would show different effects."

So which poster here advocated a diet based completely around fast food? Or are you just positing the usual strawman in such discussions to bolster your position?

It was in response to making a point that a carb is not a carb and a micronutrient is not a micronutrient when it is ingested with things that have an effect on your body. Originally comparing eating a mcdonalds/burger king burger with a steak salad with cheese.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    *negative effect on the digestion of those nutrients

before the word police come to get me
  • ndj1979
    Options

It was in response to making a point that a carb is not a carb and a micronutrient is not a micronutrient when it is ingested with things that have an effect on your body. Originally comparing eating a mcdonalds/burger king burger with a steak salad with cheese.

again, wrong.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

I do both, within a pretty healthy diet. (Well, Freddy's Steakburger, not McD's or BK, because it's just more yummy.)

I eat "clean" enough to hit my macros and "dirty" enough to retain my sanity and enjoy life. (Shamelessly stolen from @joemac1988)
  • Rammer123
    Options

You genuinely believe that taking in chemicals and additives which have been shown to cause disease and metabolic problems have no effect on your fat loss?

• ndj1979
    Options

You genuinely believe that taking in chemicals and additives which have been shown to cause disease and metabolic problems have no effect on your fat loss?

everything has "chemicals" in it..

I believe in eating a balanced diet where I hit my macros, micros, and calorie targets.

I don't worry about idiotic concepts like clean vs dirty, processed vs non-processed, etc, etc...
  • Rammer123
    edited May 2017
    Options

I believe in eating a balanced diet where I hit my macros, micros, and calorie targets.

I don't worry about idiotic concepts like clean vs dirty, processed vs non-processed, etc, etc...

How do you track your micro's?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Can you provide us links to the peer reviewed studies which show that food additives (and which specific chemicals and food additives, by the way?) cause disease and metabolic problems and negatively impact fat loss, when calories are held constant?

indeed.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    @rdridi12 i am not going to argue with you in PM....

Haha you're right, in public must feel so much better

• ndj1979
    Options
    @rdridi12 i am not going to argue with you in PM....

Haha you're right, in public must feel so much better

I am not the one who came into a public forum making a bunch of spacious claims with nothing to back them up ...
  • Rammer123
    Options

how do you track all the chemicals in your food?

Hahahahha I will give you that one
  • ndj1979
    Options

how do you track all the chemicals in your food?

Hahahahha I will give you that one

this app can track micros and there are others as well, I use MFP.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

For 4 years (1 year weight loss and transition period/3 years maintenance) I ate a very typical SAD diet filled with processed foods/meats/snacks etc, just in the correct calorie amounts for my weight management goals. Lost the extra weight/maintained the weight/had excellent feedback from doctor. This year I've gotten interested in blue zones and in the process switched to a more whole foods, plant based diet. My weight has stayed the same, I haven't felt any difference at all and nothing magical has happened. I've had a bmi of around a 20 for the past 4 years and a fairly low body fat %. What kinds of foods I eat has had no affect on that, nor does it have any affect of my health markers, (my last blood work panel done in October was when I was still eating a pretty typical SAD diet, and was great across the board-including a total cholesterol number of 143 etc). I go in for my next set of blood work next month and I'm curious to see if there's any difference, it's hard to improve on excellent.