AnvilHead wrote: »
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    Yes processed meat is worse than organic grass fed meat, always. If someone is down for it try it. Cause I can guarantee you that you will not see the same effect on your body.

Count the calories the EXACT SAME and eat only clean/bro/healthy/whatever you wanna call them foods, and then eat a similar diet with processed foods, not saying just junk food but even packaged meats, snacks foods etc. and I will guarantee you, do it for 6 weeks of each, if you do the processed foods first, you will either gain weight if you had been eating cleaner, or maintain your weight if you've already been doing that. When you switch over to the clean/healthy/bro foods, you will lose weight and fat.

And add an equal amount of salt, even salt it more if you want, and match the calories and macro's EXACT. I have done this and have seen this effect. A carb is not a carb and even a vegetable is not a vegetable. I am not saying that I only eat clean, organic, whole foods or anything, I am just saying that there is a MASSIVE difference. Anyone who thinks differently, I invite you to try it.

It's already been tried. Under clinical conditions, no less. The results will probably surprise you: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/

"Now, the study does have a few limitations that I want to mention explicitly.
    The study only looked at a single meal.   It’s entirely possible that a diet based completely around fast food would show different effects."

So which poster here advocated a diet based completely around fast food? Or are you just positing the usual strawman in such discussions to bolster your position?

Context and dosage matter.

It was in response to making a point that a carb is not a carb and a micronutrient is not a micronutrient when it is ingested with things that have an effect on your body. Originally comparing eating a mcdonalds/burger king burger with a steak salad with cheese.

Okay. So you are just positing the usual strawman in such discussions to bolster your position, and are not interested in considering context and dosage as relevant factors. At least we have that clarified. Carry on.

You're saying because you don't notice the effect of 1 meal at a fast food restaurant means that it must not have an effect?

1 cheeseburger or 1,000 cheeseburgers, doesn't change the effect of the first one.

Another strawman demonstrating no grasp of context/dosage. Amusing.

I still want to know what this negative impact of one cheeseburger is....

I'd like to know as well. In tangible, measurable and relevant terms. Because "omgzz teh poizonzz!!1!" is not a valid metric, IMO.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    when the calories are low your body does store fat. After all, your bodies main goal is survival and will do whatever it can to preserve.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    Sometimes when the calories are low your body does store fat. After all, your bodies main goal is survival and will do whatever it can to preserve.

No.

[Edit:] What "sometimes" are you specifically referring to? Can you give a scientifically supported example of what "sometimes" would make your body store fat while in a deficit? Because even in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, wherein the males reached essential (2% - 3%) levels of bodyfat, there was no fat storage observed.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when the calories are low your body does store fat. After all, your bodies main goal is survival and will do whatever it can to preserve.

Your body has fat in part because it needs a source of energy to survive through times when the calories are low.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you reduce your caloric intake, your body goes into starvation mode (something like that) so you end up gaining weight instead of losing weight. Does anyone know if this is true? Do you have to exercise in order to lose weight?

The calorie deficit over time is how you lose weight. Maintenance calorie needs ebbs and flows daily, but it's always in that range within give or take a couple hundred calories. For some people that weight range is step on stage fitness model ready, for others it is just right to be at the higher end, or maybe in the middle. Do not get too hung up on those numbers, YOU decide where you are best healthy, not those numbers.

So maintenance calories are what your body needs to stay the same and never lose or gain. Anything over that is how you gain weight. So some days you might eat under, and other days over. If it's too much over that is how we gain. And even though it seems like we don't eat at or over every day, we go over some days and that is why we can have a weight plateau.

So the trick for fat loss is to stay at maintenance, but also have most days during the week UNDER maintenance to lose fat. If done consistently this is like paying off a debt. It happens slowly over time, just like paying off a mortgage debt. It is the consistent payments that pay it off.

What matters is the calories at the end of the day in the 24 hour period, extend that out 7 days, 30, 60, and 90 days for results.

When embarking on a diet for fat loss and eating at deficits, it is always good to eat up to maintenance at least one day a week to help keep hormones stable.

Exercise for health and of course there will be a little bit of calorie burn, but you can lose body fat with just the deficit over time.

You don't have to worry about starvation mode unless you are 12% body fat or under, but if you eat too low it WILL slow down your metabolism as they proved in the "Minnesota Starvation Study" if you look that up on the internet.

The Army did the best study ever on starvation mode. Unless you are a lean athlete quit worrying about it.

STARVATION MODE:

Here is the Army study on the Theory of Fat Availability:

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

So some things to think about as you experiment with different calorie levels, fasting periods (or simply the time between meals), and exercise are:

How is your general feeling of well being?
    How do you feel working out?
    How well do you recover from workouts?
    Do you have the energy to complete your daily responsibilities?
    How well do you sleep at night?
    Are you binging?

Usually it's the answers to those questions that tell you if you are too high or too low with your daily or even rolling daily average over time.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Yes processed meat is worse than organic grass fed meat, always. If someone is down for it try it. Cause I can guarantee you that you will not see the same effect on your body.

Count the calories the EXACT SAME and eat only clean/bro/healthy/whatever you wanna call them foods, and then eat a similar diet with processed foods, not saying just junk food but even packaged meats, snacks foods etc. and I will guarantee you, do it for 6 weeks of each, if you do the processed foods first, you will either gain weight if you had been eating cleaner, or maintain your weight if you've already been doing that. When you switch over to the clean/healthy/bro foods, you will lose weight and fat.

And add an equal amount of salt, even salt it more if you want, and match the calories and macro's EXACT. I have done this and have seen this effect. A carb is not a carb and even a vegetable is not a vegetable. I am not saying that I only eat clean, organic, whole foods or anything, I am just saying that there is a MASSIVE difference. Anyone who thinks differently, I invite you to try it.
    So you're telling me that if I get two steaks at the butcher shop, take them home, run one through the meat grinder thereby "processing" it, and then throw both of them on the grill and cook them both mid rare, the one I didn't grind is healthy, and the one I did is not?

@rdridi12 although everyone off of MFP forums knows what I mean by "processed foods", since running steak through the meat grinder technically is processing it, and there is a lot of this type of pushback here, on MFP I say "Ultra Processed Foods" and refer to the Brazilian definition: http://189.28.128.100/dab/docs/portaldab/publicacoes/guia_alimentar_populacao_ingles.pdf
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    You can't outrun your fork. CICO is everything. It's not about certain foods, being "clean", carbs, none of it. The law of thermodynamics has not fallen. Exercise factors into CICO, but I highly recommend portion control and accurate calorie count coming first. Fitness is awesome, exercise makes you strong, turns up your "furnace" and makes you feel great. But it can only do so much when bombarded with calories.

I love the bolded. Might need to make that into a tattoo with accompanying stick figure and fork running after it.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    I read this article this morning and I think I does a good job of talking about CICO and explains a lot. Give it a read if you like.
    http://www.bodyforwife.com/understanding-caloric-deficits-for-weight-loss/
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    • Saturated Fat
    • Polyunsaturated Fat
    • Monounsaturated Fat
    • Trans Fat
    • Cholesterol
    • Sodium
    • Potassium
    • Fiber
    • Sugar
    • Vitamin A
    • Vitamin C
    • Iron
    • Calcium

While I'd like to see the B-vitamins in here, too, I'm really more concerned about my iron.

I think you are mistaken about what micronutrients are

Did you sign up just to tell everyone else how much smarter you are than them?
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    80% of weight loss is what you put into your mouth. If you are getting good nutrition and enough calories you will not go into starvation mode. I have not worked out at the gym since March and still been averaging 10 pounds per month in April and May. So, it can be done. I do walk on my 15 minute breaks at work and walk my dogs after work if it's not raining but i have not had motivation for gym time recently. Just make sure you are eating enough. If you go by mfp guidelines (starts alot of people at 1200 calories) and eat back half of your exercise or activity calories that is a good rule of thumb.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

So you're telling me that if I get two steaks at the butcher shop, take them home, run one through the meat grinder thereby "processing" it, and then throw both of them on the grill and cook them both mid rare, the one I didn't grind is healthy, and the one I did is not?

@rdridi12 although everyone off of MFP forums knows what I mean by "processed foods", since running steak through the meat grinder technically is processing it, and there is a lot of this type of pushback here, on MFP I say "Ultra Processed Foods" and refer to the Brazilian definition: http://189.28.128.100/dab/docs/portaldab/publicacoes/guia_alimentar_populacao_ingles.pdf

That's great, and we can all agree that a Cheeseburger from a quick service restaurant doesn't meet that definition.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

For anyone who doesn't want to open and search - ultra-processed is defined here as : Ultra-processed foods include confectionery, drinks that are sweetened with sugar or artficial sweeteners, powders for juices, sausages and other products that are derived from meat and animal fat, pre-prepared frozen dishes, dried products such as cake mix, powdered soup, instant noodles, ready-seasonings, and an infinity of new products that arrive at the markets every year including packaged snacks, morning cereals, cereal bars, and ‘energy’ drinks. Breads and baked goods become ultraprocessed foods when, in addition to wheat flour, yeast, water, and salt, their ingredients include substances such as hydrogenated vegetable fat, sugar, starch, whey, emulsifiers, and other additives.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

No.

[Edit:] What "sometimes" are you specifically referring to? Can you give a scientifically supported example of what "sometimes" would make your body store fat while in a deficit? Because even in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, wherein the males reached essential (2% - 3%) levels of bodyfat, there was no fat storage observed.

10bioeelpz81.gif
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ...At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994]....

"Starvation mode" (or "preservation mode", or "emergency mode", or whatever other clever name people want to call it), as it's most commonly thrown around in this forum and silly magazine/website articles, is the theory that if you eat too few calories, your body will hang onto every possible ounce of fat, your weight loss will stop and you could even gain weight as a result of it. Which doesn't happen. It didn't happen in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, it doesn't happen with anorexics who voluntarily starve themselves, and it doesn't happen in third world countries where food scarcity is a fact of everyday life. In each of those cases, people continued/continue to lose weight - often until they die from it.

Losing lean body mass, OTOH, is a very real possible consequence when the calorie deficit is too great - but that's not "starvation mode" as it's most often discussed.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

because BK = processed which always = bad ..not matter what

That's the bigot's standard template: "Because xxx = yyy which is always bad"
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    When all else fails, just keep asking your debate adversary to go into overly detailed explanations, continue pretending like the point he is making is unclear, and he will eventually just give up and walk away. Of course, he will walk away unconvinced, but it matters little at that point, right?
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    [ETA:] I will agree, though, that there's plenty of bad advice given on MFP. Almost invariably by people who parrot what they've read in silly magazine articles or woo websites, and have no actual idea about even the most basic concepts of nutrition and/or physiology.

No... :*

From browsing the forums you see a pattern of the same people with almost cut and paste replies. I tried to give an option / offer help once in a thread then people with six packs started spouting things from some dudes blog... one even refuted an article co-authored by a MD and nutritionist...