women should lift weights?? wtf?

Options
i keep hearing this all the time on here. Why?
What if i dont like lifting weights?
I never really enjoyed resistance exercise much when i used to go to the gym, and tbh, thats what put me off going.
Surely its all about finding an exercise or a sport you really enjoy, so you are able to stick at it long term.
I cant imagine starting threads about why people should go running, because i know its not for everyone

I was at the gym 4 times a week for 18 months doing resistance, and didnt make any difference to my physique, and i didnt enjoy it. I only every enjoyed the running, and cardio is the only thing that seems to have changed my body too

I think it would be nice if people laid off the word "should" a bit when it comes to what sort of exercises people choose to do, because the ONLY thing worth sticking at, is the one you enjoy doing, otherwise its only ever going to be a fad.

Replies

• Lauren38570
    Lauren38570 Posts: 239
    Options
    I agree and when someone wants to stick to working out it should be something they enjoy doing
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    No one is saying that you MUST do it.

But in all actuality, you really should, because it builds muscle, and the more muscle you have, the higher your BMR, therefore, the more calories you burn just by living.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    never really built any muscle on me as i said. Running on the other hand, has really defined my legs and arms more than anything else ever did
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    you really should run you know
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Then do what makes YOU happy!

People are only trying to help.
  • hush7hush
    Options

And why is that?

For the record: I do run.

Also, I run AND lift. Because I don't just want to be skinny, I want to be toned and strong.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    No one is saying that you MUST do it.

But in all actuality, you really should, because it builds muscle, and the more muscle you have, the higher your BMR, therefore, the more calories you burn just by living.

i agree!!!
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    and eat like i eat
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options

lol... except for those of us who can't!
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Because lifting weights is good for bone health.
    even if you don't see the results, it's there : /
  • hush7hush
    Options
    and eat like i eat

Well you don't even log your food.
  • ShaunHensley
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly, do what works for and is enjoyable to you. Lift weights if there is a particular area you wish to add size or definition to, if at all.
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    you werent lifting heavy enough weights then in all honesty...but you can to resistant bands to gain tone and muscle or even body resitance like push ups and dips and pull ups...just sayin...
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    and eat like i eat

This site is for people who want help. That means people will offer their opinions. You don't have to take them, but getting irritated because people use the word "should" when it comes to strength training is pointless. Their is empirical evidence stating that strength training is just as important as cardio.
  • hush7hush
    Options
    I sense a little ignorance on the OP's part now, and I'm going to leave this forum.

Enjoy your runs!
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    what hush7hush said..

and also when you do pure cardio, you actually LOSE muscle, which in the end makes you physically look fragile, but also you burn less calories.

The women should lift weights thing is a new message people are getting out there because before and currently women are intimidated by weights and they fear "bulking" up ... how about just maintaining what you have?

And previously "aerobics videos" were only for women .. and now men do it and often find that it kicks their butts ... giving more credit to a woman's strength!

You can build up some lean muscle, or maintain, doing some of the work out videos out there.

When people are saying you should do it, they aren't trying to be offensive but instead trying to help you reach a more well balanced healthier version of yourself. Being educated is nothing you should feel offended by.. they aren't telemarketers trying to sell you something you don't need.. you need muscle, and you need to strength train to maintain or build more.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    im joking. What works for me, wont necessarily work for you, and vice versa.

I get totally fed up with people assuming it will.

I think people saying that they have found lifting weights to be really beneficial and that they really enjoy it, totally different to people saying YOU SHOULD LIFT WEIGHTS. WOMEN NEED TO LIFT WEIGHTS.

because they dont
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Good post, OP.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

because they dont

Weeellll... I disagree with this but that's the whole point of an open discussion forum: respectful debate.

Anyway, do what you like, of course. I have personally seen the benefit of strength and resistance training, so for me it works, even though I think it sucks.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Actually I think there is a NEED to lift weights...not for bulking, but for maintenance. Low weight high rep, even with resistance bands...right now that's what I used because I'm not bulking yet.

If you go on long runs the carbs and fat you burn eventually stop burning and you burn amino acids and proteins in the muscle. It's important to do some resistance training a couple days a week to keep maintaining what you have.

What you do is up to you, and what makes you happy, it has no baring on my life what so ever, but it's my 2 cents.

Good luck with your runs!! I've got my longer runs tomorrow (if I can get it in) and Thursday.