Calves won't slim down...

Options
sylitz
sylitz Posts: 10 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I've lost around 10 kg in the last few months and while i did lose some inches around my waist/hips area, my calves is still the same.. I feel soo insecure wearing dresses because my calves always stand out. What can i do to slim it down ? :(

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Sadly nothing. Just continue to lose. I'm the same.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    My thundercalves are starting to slim down, but only now I am very close to the middle of my BMI and goal. Weights and cycling helped a little in the toning, though they'll never be slim and shapely.
    I know that I'll never be hugely happy with them and I'll wear any dress I think I look good in. Those thighs? 99% people won't notice and the other 1% I just ignore
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Patience. Fat will go from the places it goes when it wants to.

For women it's typically thighs and lower body, for men it's the trunk, especially the core.
  • lessfoodmoreexercise
    lessfoodmoreexercise Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    People who walk on their toes, rather than stepping heel to toe, tend to have huge calf muscles. Maybe that's your problem? If so, orthopedic shoes to correct how you walk are an option.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Sadly, sometimes they just don't. The women in my family naturally have bigger calves, then when we walk/dance/skateboard/run they just get bigger. From 170lbs to 130lbs my calf circumference only changed about 1/2 inch. However, I did lose some fat around my knee, specifically that area just above my calf, which makes them appear a little thinner. I'll never 100% love my thick legs, but I prefer them to tiny, stick thin ones so I've learned to live with them and appreciate them for what they are.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I had big calves in elementary school. I was not overweight then. But I do remember looking for go go boots and they did not fit. I could not find tall boots to fit my calves. This was sad as a child and not great for my self-esteem. I was wondering if they are muscular because someone I know does get complemented on her muscular calves. The all of you is beautiful, hugs
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there is no way to spot reduce. It's mostly genetics that dictates where the fat comes off. I have this same issue with my belly...the rest of me looks fine, but I still have a lot of fat around my middle. The rest of my family is pretty well shaped this way, too...
    The only thing that works is just to keep losing, and find a way of dressing that will flatter the parts of you that you want to show off. It can be done! :)
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Are they muscular? Or do you have bad weight to lose on them?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Oh calves. They are the "grass is always greener on the other side" muscle.

If they are big due to fat, be patient and keep losing. If they are big due to muscle, prepare for them to always be big, barring an injury that hastens muscle atrophy.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My calves are huge - I always have to get wide calf boots. They are mostly muscle, so when I lose weight I do not lose much from my calves =(

• Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have big calves too. I've got a lot of fat to lose but my calves are practically rock solid as is. I have to be well within my healthy weight range to even entertain the idea tall of boots. Good luck and if you find something that works let me know ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Mostly genetic. If you have a good amount of muscle on them, then get used to the idea of ALWAYS having big calves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Embrace them.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've finally gotten into the top of the "normal" weight range. My calves are one of the places that started showing muscle definition first as the weight came off, but I think they're actually bigger than they were before I lost all my weight. I have a pair of normal width tall boots that I bought 20 lbs ago, and they were a little tight around my calves then. They are even tighter now, At this rate I don't think I'll be able to wear them at all next year. That being said, the muscles look nice enough, and my ankles seem narrower by comparison. Same with my thighs and butt. After the first 20 lbs came off I stopped seeing much size difference, but some of my leg muscles are starting to show through. Although all the fat I have left is hanging onto my thighs, butt and belly. I figure when I meet my fat percentage goal I'll probably still have very large but muscular legs. Building muscle on my legs is apparently very easy for me, even in a calorie deficit. My core and arms on the other hand are a whole different story.
  • sylitz
    sylitz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are they muscular? Or do you have bad weight to lose on them?

They're not muscular by looks but they're rock hard when you touch them .. I'm afraid i can't really lose them because my mum has larger calves too :(
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Ive always had big calves and I dont worry about them getting smaller as I barely have any fat covering them. I have other areas that I worry about lol. saddlebags suck,and so does having a thass(dont know where the back of your thighs end and your a** begins)
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ive always had big calves and I dont worry about them getting smaller as I barely have any fat covering them. I have other areas that I worry about lol. saddlebags suck,and so does having a thass(dont know where the back of your thighs end and your a** begins)

I think my saddlebags instantly showed up the day I turned 13, along with cellulite, and just settled in for the long haul. Even when I weighed 115lbs they still persisted. I've just accepted that other than liposuction, there's nothing I can do to make them go away.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Weight comes off where it comes off. Sadly, there's no way to spot reduce.

That said, there are ways to dress "around" larger calves. The following is what has worked for me. Look for dresses and skirts that are knee length or slightly shorter. If you're tall, you could also look at ankle length dresses and skirts. (I'm short, so they look silly on me.) Avoid dresses/skip where the hem falls midcalf like the plague; they will make your whole legs look big. Avoid capris. Shorts are good; pants are good; capris are evil. Unfortunately, boot shopping sucks. I've found one or two decent pairs over the years, but the reality is that most long boots are designed for women with skinny calves. Some styles come in "wide calf" and sometimes that helps; it's always worth trying. But don't buy the boots just because they happen to fit; make sure you like them too.