Calves won't slim down...

Options
2»

Replies

• sylitz
    sylitz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Weight comes off where it comes off. Sadly, there's no way to spot reduce.

That said, there are ways to dress "around" larger calves. The following is what has worked for me. Look for dresses and skirts that are knee length or slightly shorter. If you're tall, you could also look at ankle length dresses and skirts. (I'm short, so they look silly on me.) Avoid dresses/skip where the hem falls midcalf like the plague; they will make your whole legs look big. Avoid capris. Shorts are good; pants are good; capris are evil. Unfortunately, boot shopping sucks. I've found one or two decent pairs over the years, but the reality is that most long boots are designed for women with skinny calves. Some styles come in "wide calf" and sometimes that helps; it's always worth trying. But don't buy the boots just because they happen to fit; make sure you like them too.

This. Boots are just something that i can't wear. The only way i can wear them are if they're ankle booties. Knee length ones are just a no no. I wear maxi dresses alot because it covers them. I always felt conscious that people are staring at my calves whenever i wear shorter dresses.
  • sylitz
    sylitz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    There's no way to spot reduce, just as there is no way to spot gain. Some calf lengthening exercises, such as yoga and barre workouts can help but it won't entirely eliminate bigger calves.

One thing though, is that I've noticed no men say, "Wow she's cute, but I dunno...her calves are kinda big."

Thank you for your last sentence. You gave me a confidence boost! THAT is actually one of my insecurities when guys look.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    sylitz wrote: »
    Weight comes off where it comes off. Sadly, there's no way to spot reduce.

That said, there are ways to dress "around" larger calves. The following is what has worked for me. Look for dresses and skirts that are knee length or slightly shorter. If you're tall, you could also look at ankle length dresses and skirts. (I'm short, so they look silly on me.) Avoid dresses/skip where the hem falls midcalf like the plague; they will make your whole legs look big. Avoid capris. Shorts are good; pants are good; capris are evil. Unfortunately, boot shopping sucks. I've found one or two decent pairs over the years, but the reality is that most long boots are designed for women with skinny calves. Some styles come in "wide calf" and sometimes that helps; it's always worth trying. But don't buy the boots just because they happen to fit; make sure you like them too.

This. Boots are just something that i can't wear. The only way i can wear them are if they're ankle booties. Knee length ones are just a no no. I wear maxi dresses alot because it covers them. I always felt conscious that people are staring at my calves whenever i wear shorter dresses.

You are probably the only one that notices. Have you measured your calves? As someone that has always had large calves, and has never stopped working them at the gym, I have resigned myself to the fact that I will always have strong calves. I see that as a good thing.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Are they muscular? Or do you have bad weight to lose on them?

They're not muscular by looks but they're rock hard when you touch them .. I'm afraid i can't really lose them because my mum has larger calves too :(

IF they're "rock hard" that's mostly muscle, Probably some fat in there, but unlikely you'll lose a whole lot.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    There's no way to spot reduce, just as there is no way to spot gain. Some calf lengthening exercises, such as yoga and barre workouts can help but it won't entirely eliminate bigger calves.

One thing though, is that I've noticed no men say, "Wow she's cute, but I dunno...her calves are kinda big."

Thank you for your last sentence. You gave me a confidence boost! THAT is actually one of my insecurities when guys look.

As a guy, I've never even heard a "locker room" comment about calves... I'm guessing it's just not something we pay attention to.. I know I don't.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I embrace mine and rock them in a pair of high heels.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Workout, build muscle in your ankle and calf. I used to have cankles too and working out made a huge difference
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Do you run a lot? If so replace with something more low impact and they should slim down.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Accept them. Learn to love them. There's nothing wrong with them. Sure, they are bigger than other ladies, but why are you comparing? There is no "normal". Are they healthy? Do they help you walk? Would you rather you didn't have legs and couldn't walk? They are your legs. Appreciate them!