Replies

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    "P90X3 MMX"=Done!

Definitely NOT a favorite! You can keep all those sprawls!
    even worse than the yoga? :p

Lol! Definitely! And you know how I feel about yoga!
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    10km done and so nice to be able to out without a hat, gloves and jacket! I love spring :)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, Kids;

My wife and I are just back from a weekend trip to Lake Placid. Ten of us spent the weekend at High Peaks Cyclery as a base lodge for a triathlon camp put together by my coach. The weekend was a combination of training, sight seeing and socializing. The natural beauty of the Adirondacks, the historic Olympic venues and the hundreds of cyclists, swimmers and runners training for Ironman events gave this trip a special feel.

On Saturday, we started out by riding the Ironman bike course, which was both beautiful and very challenging. The first few miles were moderate climbs, then at mile 8 we began a series of increasingly steep descents, including a long, screaming descent that put us just over 45 mph before we flattened out. It was definitely a "white knuckle" ride. Miles 20-40 were beautiful and fairly flat farmland along the Ausable river, before we started the climb back into town. This is where we did some suffering. The last 15 or so miles included most of the 3000 feet of elevation gain on the course. The scenery was breathtaking, but the work was constant. Once in town, we did a quick 20 min transition run off the bikes, then broke for lunch. After lunch we put on wetsuits and headed to Mirror Lake for the first open water swim of the year. Water was cold at 56 degrees, but not unbearable in a wetsuit. Did a half mile swim following the underwater cable marking the race route. After that it was time for food, wine and rest.

On Sunday, we ran. We headed downhill out of town past the Olympic Ski Jump venue for several miles before turning around and running back uphill to town. A few folks were rehabbing from injuries and only ran the first 6 miles, but most of us then did two loops around Mirror Lake, finishing by running down Main Street to the Olympic Speed Skating Oval for our 13.1 miles. It was a very satisfying place to finish the run. After the run, we played tourists by visiting the shops before heading home. Our group enjoyed the camp so much that my coach is booking another training session up there in August before our actual race weekend in September.
    I took a bunch of pictures and thought I'd share a few. Note the climber on the rock escarpment on the bike course, and the ski jumps on the run course.

• BettyM1017
    Options
    @Djproulx That all sounded both exhilarating and exhausting at the same time!
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Hardcore 22 Day 1: Cardio 1 and Core 1 plus a 4-mile easy run...DONE!

The temperature was a balmy 85 degrees when I made it out this morning. However, I think I'm already adjusting. It didn't feel awful and I was able to keep my speed around 10 min/mile instead of 11 - 12 like last week.

Happy Monday!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Well its been a lazy weekend here. The dojo is closed and I'm not very self motivated, specially with my youngests bday party on Saturday and a day of rain yesterday. Today so far has been plant shipping, with gardening to follow and hopefully a lovely long walk with my 10 year old.

Glad everyone is staying motivated and moving. Also glad I drink light beer on these lazy weekends rather than regular, hopefully that helps mitigate the long weekend damage!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx -- You've got me teetering on the edge of triathlons again. Or even just getting a wetsuit so I can open water swim for reals early in the season.

Rowed intervals (5x1500m/5:00r @ 2:17/500 avg pace). Normally I'd do some upper body lifting after, but my left elbow has been giving me some trouble. Giving it a rest, then will figure out what the problematic lift is.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday kids. Hot Yoga boot camp done. I am 3 pounds down which was a nice surprise. Allen--nude yoga at standard 100+ degrees definitely better. I must say yoga does look a little weird now since having the naked experience. Djproulx, very nice photos. I have enough energy left to run the dogs and that should do it. Have a wonderful day kids.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,963 Member
    Options
    Wow, DJProulx, Amazing!

lol @ "the naked experience", caramel....aaaahhhhhhhh!!

It has been marvelous weather for my May long weekend...most of it spent on the baseball diamond watching son. None of it spent at the gym. Oh well....the winter was very long and I yearn to be "outside".

BOOM!
  • Djproulx
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    @Djproulx -- You've got me teetering on the edge of triathlons again. Or even just getting a wetsuit so I can open water swim for reals early in the season.

Lets see...you own a bike trainer, you've started doing some run training, and you've already done an open water swim. I don't think you're teetering, I think you've taken the plunge!

I'd suggest the Niantic Bay triathlon on August 6th as a great first event. Run by the Hartford Marathon Foundation, it features a special swim wave for first time triathletes. The race course is beautiful and it gets great support. Hope to see you there.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »

Let's see..........you own a bike trainer, you've started running and you've already done an open water swim this season. So I don't think you're teetering, I think you've taken the plunge! :)

With that in mind, I'd suggest the Niantic Bay triathlon on August 6th as your first race. It is run by the Hartford Marathon Foundation and gets great support. The course is beautiful and they have a separate swim wave for first time triathletes.

Can I tell my posse that you'll be joining us??
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 Eccentric Lower"=Done!
  • lmj172
    lmj172 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    45 year old here! 5'8"...so I carry my weight okay...Back issues so exercise moderately, partial thyroid removal and taking hormone replacement. Seems so hard to lose but it is a lifestyle change. Not looking for a sudden super loss but a gradual permanent loss of 25 pounds. My scale is broken so I don't know how much I have lost but my clothes are more loose so maybe I need to stay away from the scale a bit longer as long as I see me going smaller not bigger!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Morning kids, went to a new gym and took inferno. The warm up was running up and down 3 flights of steps with a 25 pound weight 3 times. The class is 50 minutes and I was soaked all the way through. I had no idea I could do box jumps right into a burpee. I was pleasantly surprised and look forward to the next class. My legs are indeed jello. Have a great day kids.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    @caramelgyrlk - Glad the new gym seems to be working out!

@Djproulx - I've got my event calendar pretty well locked down this year, but next year? It's looking good for at least one tri. I'll keep running, biking, and open-water swimming this year though. Just not all at the same time. :)

Ran 3 miles, intervals; followed by lower-body strength (bodyweight).
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Hardcore 22 Day 2: Resistance 1 and a Water Zumba class. That was interesting, lol! I'm definitely starting to enjoy these water sports on my non-run days.
  • orionaimee
    orionaimee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Welcome kimsciolino! What a fantastic accomplishment 70lbs!
  • elizabeppes
    elizabeppes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This group keeps me from giving up- I see you all doing different things every day and that is the motivation I've needed to deal with my injury- I can't run and it's really making me sad but look at all y'all hitting the yoga mat, cycling, walking, swimming, lifting ... thanks y'all-