Question for others who also have issues with moderation

Options

Replies

• elias1609
    elias1609 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is so me , to avoid doing this I drink a lot of water.....A lot a lot !! Then I'd be too full from the water I couldn't even think about food lol
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my triggers out of the house. My #1 trigger is ice cream. I recently discovered Halo Top though, and it has been a Godsend because #1, it's delicious...and #2, I won't overindulge because I am sensitive to sugar alcohols and if I eat too much, it's bad news.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's clearer to say some of us have a propensity for sweet tasting foods, whether or not it's mostly made of sugar, fats or carbs.

Others prefer salty tasting foods, it doesn't matter what the macro make up is. It's the flavour sensation we crave.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Different people are different, but speaking for myself, the problem starts with refined sugars and highly salted fatty foods such as chips. One makes me crave the other and it's a cycle. If I cut out refined sugar completely, within two weeks most of my cravings magically fall away. I still have behaviorally triggered cravings, such as wanting a Coke icee when I drive by the corner, but even then, refined sugar just tastes bad after two weeks of not having it, which helps.

These days I do crave fruit. It's nice!
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Tropicoolblonde Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm a minority.. but if I want something I have it with reckless abandon. I will move calories and exercise extra to be able to get my fix. Say I want to eat half a tub of cookie dough one day? Then that will be my days worth of calories ( maybe more like half my daily calories after exercise) and after I have it I don't want it anymore and the craving is gone for good ( usually for weeks or more) and I go back to eating healthy and clean. Or some days I want pizza ( and not just one slice) so I will eat an entire small pizza with a liter of Diet Coke and then just eat a fruit for breakfast and frozen veggies for the other meal to make room in my calories for it. This has saved me so many times from going over calories. I'm lucky that I exercise for hours so I can eat gross 2800 calories a day on my long run days and still lose (1-2lb per week).. so I can fit those calories to begin with, but I give up on eating "healthy" that day as well to make it happen. Worth it. YOLO
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm a minority.. but if I want something I have it with reckless abandon. I will move calories and exercise extra to be able to get my fix. Say I want to eat half a tub of cookie dough one day? Then that will be my days worth of calories ( maybe more like half my daily calories after exercise) and after I have it I don't want it anymore and the craving is gone for good ( usually for weeks or more) and I go back to eating healthy and clean. Or some days I want pizza ( and not just one slice) so I will eat an entire small pizza with a liter of Diet Coke and then just eat a fruit for breakfast and frozen veggies for the other meal to make room in my calories for it. This has saved me so many times from going over calories. I'm lucky that I exercise for hours so I can eat gross 2800 calories a day on my long run days and still lose (1-2lb per week).. so I can fit those calories to begin with, but I give up on eating "healthy" that day as well to make it happen. Worth it. YOLO

Can't do that as a diabetic, unfortunately. Blood glucose does not care how many calories you've saved.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I don't really recall ever not being faced with the temptation to give in and have more than that which I've determined I 'should' have to stay on track. Is that not normal? I assumed it was normal.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I don't really recall ever not being faced with the temptation to give in and have more than that which I've determined I 'should' have to stay on track. Is that not normal? I assumed it was normal.

I thought this was normal too lol

• tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've been addicted to food my whole life until I started the Keto diet. Now I don't have cravings for food ever, unless I'm physically hungry. I don't need willpower, the cravings are gone. No bored eating, emotional eating, carb binges.
  • itsmyhealth
    itsmyhealth Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    tlanger251 wrote: »
    I've been addicted to food my whole life until I started the Keto diet. Now I don't have cravings for food ever, unless I'm physically hungry. I don't need willpower, the cravings are gone. No bored eating, emotional eating, carb binges.

I actually tried it and found the exact same to be true. The reason it failed for me was more of a social thing (family doesn't eat or respect keto diet). I definitely didn't have cravings and it felt WEIRD [in a good way].
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I can moderate broccoli, cookies not so much. Even crappy ones. For me it's sugar, eating a little makes we want a lot more. I only eat cookies, ice cream, or other sweets out as a treat. You can't really order seconds or thirds on dessert without looking like a glutton. I keeps lots of fruit at home to satisfy my sweet tooth.

But fruit has sugar in it...

Which suggests that the difficulty in moderating is not specifically sugar.

What most people seem to have trouble moderating (because so tasty) is combinations: sugar/fat (cookies, ice cream, and other common treats are wrongly called carbs, as they are half fat too), and carbs/fat/salt (french fries, chips, mashed potato with butter, fried chicken, naan dipped in curry, pizza, burgers, etc. -- obviously some of these have protein too). Even fat/salt is tough for some of us, as I could overeat cheese and olives, and find those harder to moderate than many sweets (I can also overeat creamed spinach, easily). And contrary to popular claims, I see people eat immoderate amounts of steak quite often (protein + fat + salt, maybe), and I bet people exist who will overeat bacon.

One of my first jobs was in a kitchen in a nursing home working morning shift. We could eat all the bacon we wanted to. I did. It was like eating potato chips.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me because I'm always so hungry :( I did manage to get away with having a tub of rice pudding for lunch last week, but it's very rare that I can do something like that and still stick to my calories for the day. And yeah some days I end up with 30k steps or something so I can keep a deficit, lol... but my legs just can't keep that up, and it means I don't really get to do much else all day.

I didn't have this issue until I got close to the middle of the normal BMI range though. Not sure if it's getting old, having a lower body fat %, or hormones being wonky because of 18 months of deficit (although you'd think it would have got better after 3 years if that was the case).

I suppose that it doesn't help my case that 90% of the time, it's sweet stuff I want to indulge on, and that's never as filling as even chips and dip (I did have an avocado and a serving of chips yesterday and that DID fill me up for the 250 calories. 400 calories of cookies? Nope).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's clearer to say some of us have a propensity for sweet tasting foods, whether or not it's mostly made of sugar, fats or carbs.

Others prefer salty tasting foods, it doesn't matter what the macro make up is. It's the flavour sensation we crave.

I don't think it's that it's clearer, it's a different claim. (One I agree with.) Certainly, people's flavor preferences differ.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I find it can be more or less difficult to deal with, which is what I thought OP was talking about.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

I find it can be more or less difficult to deal with, which is what I thought OP was talking about.

She can clarify but I took her to be taking issue with just not fully enjoying what she has limited herself to (1 cookie, or whatever) because her mind is already going to wanting to give in and have more.

And I'm not sure this goes away... it hasn't for me. This dissatisfaction seems to me a natural consequence of setting a limit, of determining that there needs to be a limit in the first place - the temptation to break it is inherent.

Only thing that makes it easier for me is getting in the habit of not giving in. But it's still not 'easy' to limit myself, and it's especially difficult to not give in if I had given in recently.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I can moderate broccoli, cookies not so much. Even crappy ones. For me it's sugar, eating a little makes we want a lot more. I only eat cookies, ice cream, or other sweets out as a treat. You can't really order seconds or thirds on dessert without looking like a glutton. I keeps lots of fruit at home to satisfy my sweet tooth.

But fruit has sugar in it...

Which suggests that the difficulty in moderating is not specifically sugar.

What most people seem to have trouble moderating (because so tasty) is combinations: sugar/fat (cookies, ice cream, and other common treats are wrongly called carbs, as they are half fat too), and carbs/fat/salt (french fries, chips, mashed potato with butter, fried chicken, naan dipped in curry, pizza, burgers, etc. -- obviously some of these have protein too). Even fat/salt is tough for some of us, as I could overeat cheese and olives, and find those harder to moderate than many sweets (I can also overeat creamed spinach, easily). And contrary to popular claims, I see people eat immoderate amounts of steak quite often (protein + fat + salt, maybe), and I bet people exist who will overeat bacon.

One of my first jobs was in a kitchen in a nursing home working morning shift. We could eat all the bacon we wanted to. I did. It was like eating potato chips.

wait, you mean people over eat things because they taste good????????????
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    tlanger251 wrote: »

I am sorry but this makes no sense. How would keto or any way of eating make you not addicted to food? Even with a keto diet you are still consuming food. Food addiction is not a real thing, but behavioral/psychological issues that make one consume food to the point of obesity are real issues.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    <snip>

I didn't have this issue until I got close to the middle of the normal BMI range though. Not sure if it's getting old, having a lower body fat %, or hormones being wonky because of 18 months of deficit (although you'd think it would have got better after 3 years if that was the case).

I suppose that it doesn't help my case that 90% of the time, it's sweet stuff I want to indulge on, and that's never as filling as even chips and dip (I did have an avocado and a serving of chips yesterday and that DID fill me up for the 250 calories. 400 calories of cookies? Nope).

^^this this.

I do believe it is a biological imperative to continue eating especially when in that mid-to-low BMI. I have found the same thing to be true since I've been at this weight. Combine that with a craving and I'm off to the races. I've been at maintenance weight for nearly ten years. I believe it to be the body's natural drive to have a layer of fat and when there is food available, put it in the mouth. Now that I've removed that safety layer of fat, my hunger drive seems higher.

The good thing is that through careful logging I've learned over the years that a few binges a month does not cause me to gain weight. For instance, last month I ate 12,000 calories extra (above my recommended maintenance calories) over the month and did not gain. I didn't exercise any more than usual, my exercise is the same just about every week. I don't know if the statement earlier (by someone...) that you never go over is true, but I've found it doesn't cause me to go permanently off the rails and in fact I need to "carb up" once or twice a week - which puts me over by several hundred. If I don't do that my hill-climbing hike becomes difficult. The rest of the week I stay below 150g carbs by preference.

@lemurcat12 - thanks for your answer above. Not sure I agree still, but that's okay. :) It's not really all that important to me, I'll just keep saying, "But I can eat all sugary, or non-sugary stuff in excess: bring it to me!"...not a sugar thread. Yet.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    @lemurcat12 - thanks for your answer above. Not sure I agree still, but that's okay. :) It's not really all that important to me, I'll just keep saying, "But I can eat all sugary, or non-sugary stuff in excess: bring it to me!"...not a sugar thread. Yet.

Fair enough. I just feel like I'm being misunderstood, since I am not saying you can't, but I will drop it too. ;-)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I think for most people, what @lemurcat12 is saying is very true. I think very few people will go into the cabinet and binge eat straight sugar (or even fruit). Sugar/starch/fat and/or starch/fat and/or sugar/fat combinations, OTOH, are hard to resist. (as in chocolate bars, ice cream, pastry, cookies, cake, ..., what people refer to as sweet/sugary snacks, but which would be nowhere near as irresistible without the high fat content). Even most of the salty snacks people crave are high fat (potato chips, bacon, ...).