So, how many of you get 9 servings of fruit and vegetables a day?

Options
12346»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I always consider a cup of greens to be a serving. (If you eat a lot of greens, as I try to, the servings don't match up to the 800 g=10 servings.)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I need to find more information on how much is actually a serving. The bagged kale I buy indicates that a serving is 5 cups of kale. So, I can just eat 45 cups of kale a day and hit my 9 servings? I think I'd die.

Ha! I just went to the American Heart Association website and it turns out a cup of raw leafy greens is a serving. So, my 2 'servings' of kale is more than enough.. lol Thank goodness! I imagine whoever packages the kale I buy must be thinking they can pull a fast one and trick people into trying to eat 9 bags of kale a day. Wonder if anyone's done it?

Are you sure the bag doesn't say .5 cups of kale? As that is a standard serving size. If not, I would assume that the printing of the decimal was off, and not that someone was trying to get people to buy more kale.

I just checked my bag of rainbow kale and it says a serving size is 2.5 cups (85g). Seems like a lot, but perhaps it's just up to the packing company to put whatever they want on the bag as long as the nutritional information is accurate.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I need to find more information on how much is actually a serving. The bagged kale I buy indicates that a serving is 5 cups of kale. So, I can just eat 45 cups of kale a day and hit my 9 servings? I think I'd die.

Ha! I just went to the American Heart Association website and it turns out a cup of raw leafy greens is a serving. So, my 2 'servings' of kale is more than enough.. lol Thank goodness! I imagine whoever packages the kale I buy must be thinking they can pull a fast one and trick people into trying to eat 9 bags of kale a day. Wonder if anyone's done it?

Are you sure the bag doesn't say .5 cups of kale? As that is a standard serving size. If not, I would assume that the printing of the decimal was off, and not that someone was trying to get people to buy more kale.

I just checked my bag of rainbow kale and it says a serving size is 2.5 cups (85g). Seems like a lot, but perhaps it's just up to the packing company to put whatever they want on the bag as long as the nutritional information is accurate.

Maybe it IS an evil kale plot to take over the universe. :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Heh, this is reminding me of why I initially decided that counting servings of vegetables was silly and just focusing on making a significant portion of each meal (half to three-fourths of the plate, at least) vegetables made more sense.

The US Guidelines say a "cup" of vegetables or two cups of greens is a serving. But cups and vegetables is a dumb measure (except for greens).

The UK recommendations are decent on most vegetables with the 80 g (my own personal guideline had been 100 g before that, because 100 is a round number), but then suggest 3 heaping tablespoons for things like spinach and kale (and peas, which are a legume in my mind). Who measures greens, even cooked greens, in tablespoons?

I'm doubling down on my preference for just recommending eating lots of and a variety of vegetables.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options

It's a big bag and it actually shows that there's only one serving in the bag. Which is funny, because the newer bag now says that a serving is 2.5 cups and there are 2 servings in the bag. (I have 5 bags of kale in my fridge right now, we eat a lot of kale here. Also my tortoise and rats eat it, so, always tons of kale)

I'm relieved that a serving is 1 cup raw kale or 4 heaping tablespoons cooked kale. That's a lot easier. So, yes, it turns out I'm definitely eating 9+servings per day.
  • jenniferinfl
    Options

Package serving sizes have nothing to do with recommended for health servings. But the 5 cups per servings is probably assuming you will cook it. 5 cups raw will cook down to about 1 - 1.5 cooked.

Perhaps, but, the serving size is one cup raw or 4 heaping tbsps cooked for Kale. So, even that doesn't work out.
  • jenniferinfl
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Heh, this is reminding me of why I initially decided that counting servings of vegetables was silly and just focusing on making a significant portion of each meal (half to three-fourths of the plate, at least) vegetables made more sense.

The US Guidelines say a "cup" of vegetables or two cups of greens is a serving. But cups and vegetables is a dumb measure (except for greens).

The UK recommendations are decent on most vegetables with the 80 g (my own personal guideline had been 100 g before that, because 100 is a round number), but then suggest 3 heaping tablespoons for things like spinach and kale (and peas, which are a legume in my mind). Who measures greens, even cooked greens, in tablespoons?

I'm doubling down on my preference for just recommending eating lots of and a variety of vegetables.

No kidding, it's easy to measure leafy greens in a cup, but, everything else just doesn't work. Measuring a cup of celery for instance.. lol If I had a scale that measured in grams, that would work great for everything. I may just buy one and just be done with it. :)

I've always felt awfully guilty about not eating enough veggies. I keep making these mental notes to work on it a bit more. I'm so relieved I can quit worrying about that! I'm way over when I count the tomatoes and carrots and blueberries and everything else I eat.
  • norahkathleen
    norahkathleen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    sorry if you already saw this because i just posted it somewhere else, but in case it helps anyone...a grocery store in town sells produce that is close to the end of its shelf life (never bad, just ready to eat within the first week at home which is never a problem for us) for $1/bag. Some examples are 5 zucchini or yellow squash, 3 green/red/yellow bell peppers, other assorted peppers, tomatoes...
    I asked about this at another grocery store (where we usually shop) and they were happy to do the same. It has helped our grocery budget as well as vegetable intake immensely! *although i still am not up to 9 servings a day. prob 6 on average.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Package serving sizes have nothing to do with recommended for health servings. But the 5 cups per servings is probably assuming you will cook it. 5 cups raw will cook down to about 1 - 1.5 cooked.

Perhaps, but, the serving size is one cup raw or 4 heaping tbsps cooked for Kale. So, even that doesn't work out.

I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't work out". That one cup doesn't cook down to 4 heaping tbsps.? That would be correct. In the US the recommendation is 1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked. I assume the difference is that some nutrients are destroyed during the cooking process so you need to need to eat more cooked, but that's totally a guess.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't work out". That one cup doesn't cook down to 4 heaping tbsps.? That would be correct. In the US the recommendation is 1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked. I assume the difference is that some nutrients are destroyed during the cooking process so you need to need to eat more cooked, but that's totally a guess.
    I think it's based on the average volume of cooked vs. raw vegetables, bearing mind that in the US, most foods are measured by volume. The recommendations for how much to eat don't take the nutrition of different kinds of fruits and vegetables prepared in different ways into account. There's too much variation for that to be practical.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »

I think it's based on the average volume of cooked vs. raw vegetables, bearing mind that in the US, most foods are measured by volume. The recommendations for how much to eat don't take the nutrition of different kinds of fruits and vegetables prepared in different ways into account. There's too much variation for that to be practical.

But 1 cup of most leafy greens cooks down to far less than 1/2 cup. That was the discrepancy I was talking about. With heavy or dense greens like cabbage 1 C raw might = 1/2 C cooked, but not with things like spinach, arugula, etc.
  • dfwesq
    Options

But 1 cup of most leafy greens cooks down to far less than 1/2 cup. That was the discrepancy I was talking about. With heavy or dense greens like cabbage 1 C raw might = 1/2 C cooked, but not with things like spinach, arugula, etc.
    Maybe we're talking about different things. I thought we were talking about what the recommended serving size of all vegetables is.

Btw, the cooking method can result in different volumes. Using kale as an example, sauteeing doesn't reduce the volume as much as boiling.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

No kidding, it's easy to measure leafy greens in a cup, but, everything else just doesn't work. Measuring a cup of celery for instance.. lol If I had a scale that measured in grams, that would work great for everything. I may just buy one and just be done with it. :)

I've always felt awfully guilty about not eating enough veggies. I keep making these mental notes to work on it a bit more. I'm so relieved I can quit worrying about that! I'm way over when I count the tomatoes and carrots and blueberries and everything else I eat.

Do get a digital scale. Makes measuring ever so much easier!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Re: the price of produce, I discovered there are several discount groceries not too far away from me. One place has wonderful fresh produce for a fraction of the price of the chain grocery stores. I've gotten entire bags of apples, sweet peppers, and tomatoes for 99 cents. Beets 4/$1, broccoli crowns 2/$1. I "googled" discount groceries near me and found a couple more!

We also have a lot of farmer's markets in the spring and summer. You can't get any fresher, but their prices are higher.

My experience has been that farmer's markets that specialize in organic are indeed pricey, but those that do not have better prices (and freshness) than the supermarket.

I moved last fall and am looking forward to discovering new markets and farm stands. https://www.localharvest.org/
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Never. I am a rebel. >:)

In all seriousness, I get about 3-4 servings of veg on a good day and maybe 3-4 servings of fruit a week.
  • norahkathleen
    norahkathleen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    this thread just inspired me to buy a scale. i looked at a couple of reviews and then went on amazon and bought one. under $15 and i will have it in a couple days. :smile:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Maybe we're talking about different things. I thought we were talking about what the recommended serving size of all vegetables is.

Btw, the cooking method can result in different volumes. Using kale as an example, sauteeing doesn't reduce the volume as much as boiling.

LOL We are and we aren't. I was just musing on why the recommendation is 1 cup leafy raw and 1/2 cup leafy cooked, when for many leafy vegetables 1/2 cup cooked takes considerably more than 1 cup raw.

Yes, agree. The green and the length of cooking makes a difference.
  • dfwesq
    Options
    ...I was just musing on why the recommendation is 1 cup leafy raw and 1/2 cup leafy cooked, when for many leafy vegetables 1/2 cup cooked takes considerably more than 1 cup raw.
    I think they just wanted to come up with an across-the-board estimate to make the guideline practical.

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    On the days I try, I fart constantly. So it's either upset my work colleagues, or eat less fruit and veg ;)

That is funny, but that is me. Does not stop my from eating my cabbage 2-3 times a day tho. lol