How to talk to Spouse (Wife) about getting healthier?

Options

Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    lol wish it worked the other way!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    lol wish it worked the other way!

Positive reinforcement works well too
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Yes give her a cookie if she's good. If bad no cookie.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    TBH, it sounds like the two of you need to see a couple's therapist. Not just her for the depression she may have, but it seems like you have an issue with how you speak to your wife when you get frustrated. So far, your way of dealing with it is to keep your mouth shut, but you have to learn proper communication. A therapist would be a good way to find out the issues between the two of you, and learn how to discuss them without being hurtful and resentful on both ends.

Exactly this.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Threaten to withdraw sex if they don't get healthy.
    It works for everything with my husband

That's actually considered abuse. Information via studying psychology... I'd leave if my BF did that. If she's depressed, been through miscarriages etc, he should be patient and supportive and try to help her. Positive reinforcement makes more sense.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

I meant "Makes her feel good about herself. Compliment her often, notice small changes she makes " etc. It motivates some people
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options

I meant "Makes her feel good about herself. Compliment her often, notice small changes she makes " etc. It motivates some people

See this makes a lot more sense. Or spin the sex thing around and be *more* intimate the more she tries. That would work for me lol
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    shank3r wrote: »
    Thanks for the input....she is on some type of either an anxiety or depression med...I don't ask because that's another sensitive subject.

For those of you who misinterpreted a few words of my first post, it's about being healthy and active and being able to participate in a way with the family that brings happiness.

I've been yo-yo'ing because every time I drop 20-30lbs and get into the groove of really starting to feel good about it, I get depressed because my progress isn't motivating her to find her groove which knocks me off the wagon.

I may suggest to her to seek some professional mental health assistance, I know from experience that exercise and weight loss does wonders for solving depression as it did for me.

When I am feeling fat, and bad about myself, someone else losing weight is just more depressing to me. Make sure she knows you love her. Find her love language and use it a lot. Tell her she is the most beautiful person in the world to you no matter she looks like. She needs to know that no matter what she is going through, you will be there. Show her that you are genuinely concerned about her well being. When she is absolutely sure of your affection, you can add things like how she means the world to you and if anything happened to her it would kill you, and that you are concerned about her health, both mental and physical. At least, those are the things that my awesome SO does for me that help when I am feeling down and gaining weight.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Threaten to withdraw sex if they don't get healthy.
    It works for everything with my husband

That's actually considered abuse. Information via studying psychology... I'd leave if my BF did that. If she's depressed, been through miscarriages etc, he should be patient and supportive and try to help her. Positive reinforcement makes more sense.

Besides. He's already withdrawn sex for at least 6 months. He could just ask her to shower with him beforehand as foreplay. But instead, he just doesn't touch her. He even said he doesn't cuddle with her any more.
    shank3r wrote: »
    Intimacy is out the window as in the last 6 months her size has negatively affected hygiene.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    It might not be an option for OP to get a new job. And personally, Im assuming he has had this job for a long time, he provides for his family and I dont think that should be an option unless he has a solid backup plan. If my husband was always gone for work, I wouldnt be thrilled about it, infact I might be pretty upset that he was gone all the time. But we dont know OP's full story, maybe he has only ever had this type of job, and he wouldn't be able to find another job making enough money for his family to be financially stable. I think his wife and him should go to counseling for sure, and go from there, if the counseler believes him quitting his job is the best course of action, then they can decide at that point. However I dont believe that him quitting is going to truly impact this situation at all.