Cutting Sugar From my Diet entirely

Options

Replies

• GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You might still be eating a lot of sugar now. Why don't you eat a little less and see how that goes? Just cut out the high sugar, few nutrients stuff for now and keep some fruit and tons of vegetables in. I'm on 17 grams of sugar a day at the moment and still include them. Sugar is not the devil here! You can check todays food diary if you like (there's nothing else in there as I just wanted to check how I was doing exactly). Fruits are delicious and healthy. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    saheel97 wrote: »
    I'm considering cutting sugar completely out from my diet.

As others have asked, do you mean added sugar or all sugar? Edit: oh, from your comment about fruit it does seem you mean ALL sugar.

I think the latter is not a good idea, because sugar is in vegetables, fruit, dairy, and a variety of other foods (sweet potatoes, even a small amount in things like eggs). There are a small amount of people (so called carnivores) who eat only animal products and still are probably not sugar free (small amount in eggs, they may still consume dairy that has it), and some extreme keto-ers will consume 5 or so grams (NOT necessary to keto), but both of those require cutting way down on or out foods like vegetables, which again seems to me really counterproductive and not a good idea for the vast majority of people -- certainly not if you don't have specific health issues but merely are curious about not eating sugar or think if lower sugar is good lower still or none would be best. It doesn't work that way -- focusing on sugar is really beside the point, I'd focus on diet quality (amount of added sugar can be related to that). If you think it would be easy because you currently are not getting a lot of sugar from sources such as vegetables (you can check your diary and see), I'd actually recommend increasing those.

I did cut out added sugar for a while. For me it wasn't really about adding sugar to things (I never do, and unless I'm baking often don't even own any -- this is just personal taste and habits), but cutting out mostly things that obviously had added sugar (ice cream, chocolate, mango chutney, dried cherries (maybe less obvious, but it's hard to find them without it added), and things that happened to include it (most smoked salmon, bread--although I rarely eat that anyway and wasn't at all at the time for other reasons, sriracha, variety of things that I bought even though it was pretty easy for me since I mostly cook at home--I basically started being better about always bringing lunch and not buying it for a while, even though I have a lot of healthy options for purchased lunches).

Anyway, when I did it, it was because it was an experiment to see how hard it would be, and also because I was working on emotional eating and found it easier to just say "no sweets." I thought it was valuable for me as an experiment, and I learned that given the way I ate it wasn't very hard for me, but afterwards I decided to add sweets back in moderation and not worry about the relatively small amount of sugar I got by using sriracha and eating smoked salmon and buying an occasional (delicious) sandwich with french ham, gruyere, avocado, jalapenos, and mango chutney, on housemade bread or the like.

So if you want to experiment with it, I'd just advise knowing what your goals are.

I have cut out sweets for a period of time a couple of subsequent times and seen that my added sugar amounts became vanishingly low, but because I don't eat many packaged products with added sugar I saw 0 reason to worry about stuff like the sugar in sriracha. (I don't think hidden sugar is really a significant thing, and it's definitely not in my own diet.)

Now I am actually quite low on sugar overall because I am trying very low carb, but even so it's not uncommon to have about 20-25 grams just from vegetables, dairy, a bit from nuts and eggs, and tiny amounts of added sugar from, again, things like sriracha, maybe balsamic vinegar. Getting more than 20 just from vegetables always feels like a positive to me, since I think eating vegetables is important.

Anyway, TLDR version: for health reasons, I personally think it makes sense to limit added sugar, as if you are eating high amounts (relative to total calories) it probably comes from sweets or other lower nutrient foods, but I don't see a particular health reason to say ALL should be removed. I do think there can be personal reasons that it makes sense for an individual. (If you aren't eating much other than what you already removed and think it would be easy, that's probably not you, but if you want to understand where it is coming from, that might be interesting.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Saying that fewer carbs is always better is what is not supported, at all.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/?_r=0 (quotes Lustig, among others).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,052 Member
    Options
    I hope the people talking about the toxicity of fructose aren't eating apples then.

oh yes- doh :s

Perhaps I will edit my comment to "If they ate a grilled steak every day and it took them over their calorie level..... " ;)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    saheel97 wrote: »
    I'm considering cutting sugar completely out from my diet.

I couldn't do that. I like fruit too much.

• Ken1Lutheran
    Ken1Lutheran Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to eliminate all sugars from your diet. Even things like meat have small amounts of sugar in them. Approach it reasonably. Lay off the sweets except for maybe a very small portion of them a day if you have a bit of a sweet tooth. Lay off alcohol, which your body will process into sugar (drunkenness is what happens when you consume more alcohol than your body can turn into sugar). There's been some research suggesting that simple sugars (like glucose and fructose) can be metabolized by the body better than binary sugars (like sucrose and lactose), but basically the comment that sugar is sugar is about right. The whole big to-do in the news and in public discussion about high-fructose corn syrup is simply a late recognition of, and lately an overreaction to, the fact that the difference between simple and binary sugars was overstated before. They're basically the same with perhaps a slight preference for simple sugars.
  • Ken1Lutheran
    Options
    For me, my sugar intake other than that naturally occurring in fruits, vegetables and grain products consists of two cups of coffee in the morning each with a small amount of half and half (containing some lactose) and one scoop of ice cream after dinner (lactose again plus some sucrose). I eliminated other sweets and alcohol; the results have been very good, as I am losing weight without ever really feeling hungry (checking in at about 1300 calories a day, with a maximum of 1710). Yesterday I treated myself to a good-sized (11 oz.) steak without going much over my average, not even close to my maximum.
  • Ken1Lutheran
    Options
    As a New Englander in exile (grew up in Massachusetts, now in Chicago), I have to have my ice cream from time to time!
  • Ken1Lutheran
    Options
    A can of soda a day won't of itself harm you; it just means that you'll have to reduce other calories in your diet accordingly--if you're having that can of soda, the warning in a previous post about gaining 50 pounds in 20 years will apply if you eat the same as you would have eaten without the soda or other high-calorie drink.
  • Ken1Lutheran
    Options
    maybe that can of soda can be your dessert. The calorie content in a soda isn't high for a dessert, and it could satisfy your sweet tooth in place of ice cream or whatever.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Previous arguments aside, fruits are lower on the glycemic index, which does make a difference to your body's insulin response. As a diabetic you can run your own science experiments! Eat a tablespoon of table sugar and measure your blood sugar in fifteen minutes, versus eating a tablespoon of fruit sugar as part of some strawberries. The strawberries are handled by your body better, because the fiber and other components of the food moderate how the sugar is digested. Yes, eventually it all becomes the same stuff - but how it gets there makes a significant difference to your pancreas.

One thing this means is that studies have found eating whole fruit actually seems to prevent type 2 diabetes, while consuming added sugars like soda definitely are associated with a higher incidence of diabetes. In addition, fruit contains vitamins and micronutrients which are essential for health, while soda contains food coloring.

Trying to cut out fruit from your diet is a bad idea, there's no benefit to this.