Cutting Sugar From my Diet entirely

Options

Replies

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I would cut refined sugar and added sugars and artificial sweeteners. I suggest you eat a moderate amount of fruit (perhaps 1 or 2 pieces a day). When you eat the whole fruit the fiber in the fruit slows the sugar/insulin spike. Even more so if you have a bit of protein with it. And berries have so many health benefits.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I interpret what the OP says and means is she is cutting out refined sugars and added sugars.
  • strawberrysnap
    strawberrysnap Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I wonder if the cheaper off brand varieties differ or if it's more or less the same
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    I interpret what the OP says and means is she is cutting out refined sugars and added sugars.

OP (who I thought was a guy) actually made it clear he was thinking/asking about cutting out all sugar, not just added sugar: "I'm considering cutting sugar completely out from my diet.... The only thing now I feel like would affect me is the fact that I would have to cut fruits out which is rather disappointing."
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I cut out almost all sugar for the past two years. I eat a ketogenic (very low carb higher fat) diet. My carb intake was usually under 20-30g per day. Most of that came from veggies, or trace carbs in dairy and meat. My sugar was usually around 5g per day.

Over the last month I have participated in a LCHF challenge called "meativore May". I have almost only eaten meat, eggs and some full fat dairy for the last month and a half. I have had some tomato in a chilli and some coconut cream though. I'm about as close to zero sugar as you can get... or as close to zero carb for that matter.

Shockingly I feel GREAT while I eliminate carbs. More energy. Steadier energy. My blood glucose is fantastic (I have some insulin resistance) and I imagine my insulin levels are great too. My skin and hair get better and my stomach is much better with smaller and more regular bm's. Crab cravings are gone. Totally. My appetite really drops too. I rarely eat before 2pm because I am not hungry. Funnily enough, I am getting smaller even though the scale is not moving - weirdest thing. My guess is that is caused by getting a higher protein intake, which I usually struggle to reach.

I feel so good that I imagine I will stay largely "carnivore" for the time being. I may add in fresh produce as the summer goes on, but for now I am mainly eating meat. I feel too good to bother with carbs. Besides, I have never been a huge fruit eater so limiting myself to a handful of berries every few weeks is not a big deal.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »

OP (who I thought was a guy) actually made it clear he was thinking/asking about cutting out all sugar, not just added sugar: "I'm considering cutting sugar completely out from my diet.... The only thing now I feel like would affect me is the fact that I would have to cut fruits out which is rather disappointing."

Hmmm, well maybe.. thats usually what people say when they mean they are going to cut out the refined sugars, i.e. cake, pie, Snickers bars, etc.

• leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound realistic or sustainable imo
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    I just assume that anything in a can or bottle will have sugar in it ... and then I check the label to see. :)