My best friend doesnt believe in CICO

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Well, the girlfriend has made it very easy for you. Just don't bring it up again. Enjoy your ice cream. And keep losing weight.

This

Simples!
  • aubregary123
    aubregary123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been counting calories and am almost at 50 lbs lost, and I too eat ice cream almost everyday. I think people don't believe in the simplicity of CICO. People are stubborn. Good news is that WE know it works, so keep on keeping on girl.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I just laugh at the idea that people assume that frozen yogurt is healthier than ice cream.

My sister has a friend who says she makes smoothies with yogurt for her super healthy breakfast. Asked what kind of yogurt, she replied "frozen yogurt." Guuuuuuuurl that's a milkshake. You're having milkshakes for breakfast.

Lol! Article I just read says fro-yo often has less fat but more sugar than regular ice cream. Plus: "Fat can slow the body’s digestion of sugar, meaning you’ll feel more satisfied and won’t experience a blood sugar spike like you might with a swirl of sweetened yogurt, says Rumsey. She notes that many fro-yo brands also add sugar substitutes that could cause digestive issues like bloating or cramping." Ice cream it is! lol. But I actually eat low calories ice cream anyway... I like it. Not saying its any healthier. But honestly I dont think either one is particularly unhealthy. I think you could have a scoop of ice cream a day and still be healthy.
  • phrobbert
    phrobbert Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I had a huge debate when I cleaned for 6 hrs (walked the equivalent of about 4 miles or more in the process) and was told it didnt count by some users on MFP. lol. Some agreed with me others didnt and no one would budge. Also I average 11000 steps per day right now and my weight loss has been great so I will stick to if youre moving, youre exercising!

On my Monday workouts I run/walk to the park & back as it's only about 1.8k from my flat. If I do it at a run my Garmin clocks it at 162 kCal. If I walk at a quick pace (which I do anyway) it's 143. It's almost not worth the effort of going faster. :p
  • kcastagnoli
    kcastagnoli Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    What I find weird is that she thinks hiking isn't exercise and you can only exercise in a gym.

I found that odd as well, but also, everyone should take the Fitbit calorie burn with a grain of salt. They are reported to be highly inaccurate (kinda like some of the cardio machines at the gym).
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    People who don't understand CICO don't WANT to understand it. Why? Because it puts responsibility in their corner and if they are overweight, it's because they don't understand that they are eating more calories than they need too. Even if they were eating "healthy".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Everyone is convinced it exists, whether they admit it or not. Acknowledging the truth of CICO is giving up belief in that hack. It's like coming to grips with Santa not being real.

Wait, what??

• phrobbert
    phrobbert Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I spent years lodging with a couple that were both extremely obese (I'd known the male half for years before he married). I would bring up the concept of of CICO to him and he would usually brush it off with breezy "oh there's more to it than that" excuses, usually while grating about 300g of mature cheddar onto half a kilo of pasta. :s His wife was years younger than me, only in her late 20's. Yet she could barely climb the stairs. It's actually really depressing to watch people in that state,
  • kcastagnoli
    kcastagnoli Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What I find weird is that she thinks hiking isn't exercise and you can only exercise in a gym.

I found that odd as well, but also, everyone should take the Fitbit calorie burn with a grain of salt. They are reported to be highly inaccurate (kinda like some of the cardio machines at the gym).

Not to be contrarian, but my Fitbit is pretty darned accurate. I took the time to calibrate it and make adjustments against real world data and can now rely on it.

That's great that yours is accurate with some calibrating. Here is a recent article that I was thinking of regarding my post:
    http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/05/24/529839681/fitness-trackers-good-at-measuring-heart-rate-not-so-good-at-measuring-calories

And this is the scientific report the article is based on:
    http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4426/7/2/3

And I do love Fitbit no matter what! :)

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Not to be contrarian, but my Fitbit is pretty darned accurate. I took the time to calibrate it and make adjustments against real world data and can now rely on it.

Accurate for me too, and I agree part of it is understanding how it works, what it's good at measuring, and what to expect when using it in conjunction with MFP. I lost the weight I set out to lose and am currently maintaining while trusting the numbers from FitBit.

Also on a more relevant point to the OP - does your friend understand that CICO doesn't mean counting calories? It's a fundamental energy balance that governs all of us, whether you are employing the principles of CICO to lose, maintain, or gain weight... they apply to everyone. Sort of like gravity. I'd check to make sure you and your friend are on the same page with the basic definition... and then get into the debate of how it's possible to eat ice cream, lose weight, AND be healthy.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit is also very accurate for me.... I have been wearing it for 3 years and I gain/lose/maintain right on schedule. I don't think they are intended to calculate burns for specific activities but moreso overall level of activity. Fitbits can be very misunderstood.

OP, since what you are doing keep doing you! Next time she comments on what you eating, tell her you are eating what works for you and leave it at that.