My best friend doesnt believe in CICO

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    CICO isn't a "belief" issue, it's not Bigfoot.

That being said, letting people know what you're doing does open up the opportunity for them to spread all that crazy woo stuff they believe because of the way it's portrayed on the internet. #fakenews
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, if she feels strongly (even if she is wrong) just leave it there, if she makes comments about what you're eating, tell her you don't want to discuss it with her, you're doing what works for you. You know it works and that's all that matters.

Yeah but you don't get to have an opinion about a science fact.

Also OP, I like how she went from hearing about it for the first time to telling you that you are "getting obsessed." Projecting much?

I agree! I havent even brought it up before and she thinks im "obsessed"
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I just laugh at the idea that people assume that frozen yogurt is healthier than ice cream.

I agree, however the ice cream place we go to is in a small town, its either plain vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream such as "piece of cake" in this case the frozen yogurt just typically had less calories lol
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    So the title says it all. My best friend doesn't believe in CICO. I only told them recently that I started losing weight ( I told them once I was 15 lbs down) we went for a hike the other day, and then were walking back to their house, we stopped for ice cream. I had a ton of calories left so I got a flavor I actually wanted rather than just frozen yogurt. She was shocked and told me i'd never lose weight if im eating ice cream, and that our hike didnt count as exercise because we weren't in a gym (we burned over 1000 calories according to my fitbit!) I explained to her what MFP is all about it, and CICO and she said I was "getting obsessive" with calories I need to stop focusing on that, and eat only healthy foods and go to the gym for an hour every day, dont pay attention to calories. Im shocked that she would have such a strong opinion on it, shes a science major so I assumed something simple like CICO would make sense to her, you need to burn more calories than your body is taking in. Finally I explained I could eat one scoop of ice cream every day, even if thats all I ate, and I was in calorie deficit I would lose weight, she simply just said no you would gain weight and be terribly unhealthy. I agree you wouldnt be healthy, but you would still lose weight. That was it, she said after she didnt want to talk about it anymore. What do you guys think? I know CICO works, its been working for me, and so many other people on MFP. Why do people think CICO wont work??

Two things i recommend:

1) Ask her if she were wrong, how would she know? (She's a science major; she should be able to answer that question easily).
    2) Prove it to her.

3) Get a new best friend. ;)

Haha I honeslty agree, I moved awhile ago and got married and shes been distant ever since, now with this its just a little much. lol
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    What bothers me about your post is how you're excited finding mfp and calorie counting works and your friend is completely unsupportive. I mean she can't even hear you out? Is she the kind of person that has to be "right" about everything all the time?

Edited to say that the "getting obsessive" comment was really rude and uncalled for. I would have wanted to slap the *kitten*.

Yes she is the type of person who always has to be right, probably shouldnt have brought it up at all to her.
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    So the title says it all. My best friend doesn't believe in CICO. I only told them recently that I started losing weight ( I told them once I was 15 lbs down) we went for a hike the other day, and then were walking back to their house, we stopped for ice cream. I had a ton of calories left so I got a flavor I actually wanted rather than just frozen yogurt. She was shocked and told me i'd never lose weight if im eating ice cream, and that our hike didnt count as exercise because we weren't in a gym (we burned over 1000 calories according to my fitbit!) I explained to her what MFP is all about it, and CICO and she said I was "getting obsessive" with calories I need to stop focusing on that, and eat only healthy foods and go to the gym for an hour every day, dont pay attention to calories. Im shocked that she would have such a strong opinion on it, shes a science major so I assumed something simple like CICO would make sense to her, you need to burn more calories than your body is taking in. Finally I explained I could eat one scoop of ice cream every day, even if thats all I ate, and I was in calorie deficit I would lose weight, she simply just said no you would gain weight and be terribly unhealthy. I agree you wouldnt be healthy, but you would still lose weight. That was it, she said after she didnt want to talk about it anymore. What do you guys think? I know CICO works, its been working for me, and so many other people on MFP. Why do people think CICO wont work??

People intentionally misunderstand for the purpose of arguing and feeling superior.

Is she smaller than you or was she the same size as you before you started losing weight? When I lost the weight years ago, I lost most of my friends. For many of them, I was that fat friend they hauled around to make themselves look better by contrast, when I lost the weight, I no longer fit into the role they had for me. I lost the friends who were the same size as me as they were angry that I was making progress and they just weren't ready to do that at the time.

People really don't like to see people they know being successful. Even people who are your friends really don't want to see your life improve unless their life is currently improving. It's just human nature. My thin friends tried to sabotage me every step of the way; they were furious when I had finally lost enough weight to date in the same circles and then they tried to trash my reputation. It can be impossible to keep some friends when the relationship roles change.

It's easier to give them some space now and make some new friends. You can probably be friends with her again at some point, but, right now she is hoping to sabotage. A science major knows better. Though, realistically, she probably doesn't even realize that's what she's doing. She's patting herself on the back for the helpful advice she's given.. lol

People pretty much just suck.

Shes always been thinner than me, and I think thats true, I just moved so ive been hoping to make new friends as it is!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The fact that she's a science major doesn't mean she's necessarily comfortable with math. If you told me a physics major disagreed with CICO, I'd be surprised - but a lot of students in the life sciences are actually very uncomfortable with math and numbers. "I love science but hate math; I will study biology/kinesiology/nutrition/etc." is a pretty common theme.

Disclaimer: My sister has both a biology degree and a math degree. I'm not saying that all biology students hate math. But a lot of them do. My sample size is several thousand students.
  • eliz_fit
    eliz_fit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would just tell her that I don't need her advice, and then let results speak for themselves. She can believe whatever she wants to believe and it won't affect your results.

I do feel like in most cases, though, it's rude to offer criticisms of what other people are eating. If you didn't ask her for help, why is she picking apart your diet?
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    eliz_fit wrote: »
    I would just tell her that I don't need her advice, and then let results speak for themselves. She can believe whatever she wants to believe and it won't affect your results.

I do feel like in most cases, though, it's rude to offer criticisms of what other people are eating. If you didn't ask her for help, why is she picking apart your diet?

Yeah thats what I was feeling too honestly, I wasnt saying "oh I shouldnt be having ice cream im on a diet" I didnt say anything about calories, I just ordered what I wanted, and she started going on about this. I guess ive never really spoken with anyone yet about CICO and MFP, maybe this is how other people would react too.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For some people, the idea that weight loss could be simple is too much. If its simple, a function of CICO, then they lose all their excuses as to why they can't/won't do it.
  • laurenebargar
    Options

People intentionally misunderstand for the purpose of arguing and feeling superior.

Is she smaller than you or was she the same size as you before you started losing weight? When I lost the weight years ago, I lost most of my friends. For many of them, I was that fat friend they hauled around to make themselves look better by contrast, when I lost the weight, I no longer fit into the role they had for me. I lost the friends who were the same size as me as they were angry that I was making progress and they just weren't ready to do that at the time.

People really don't like to see people they know being successful. Even people who are your friends really don't want to see your life improve unless their life is currently improving. It's just human nature. My thin friends tried to sabotage me every step of the way; they were furious when I had finally lost enough weight to date in the same circles and then they tried to trash my reputation. It can be impossible to keep some friends when the relationship roles change.

It's easier to give them some space now and make some new friends. You can probably be friends with her again at some point, but, right now she is hoping to sabotage. A science major knows better. Though, realistically, she probably doesn't even realize that's what she's doing. She's patting herself on the back for the helpful advice she's given.. lol

People pretty much just suck.

Shes always been thinner than me, and I think thats true, I just moved so ive been hoping to make new friends as it is!

She's scared you're going to be thinner than her while eating ice cream.

Definitely a possibility. Just crazy to think, I have been bigger than her since highschool (and I thought I was fat then :( ) Its just weird to think that she would put something as petty as weight before friendship, when I do get down to goal I have a feeling she may not be around anymore.
  • tenilleless
    tenilleless Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The fact that she's a science major doesn't mean she's necessarily comfortable with math. If you told me a physics major disagreed with CICO, I'd be surprised - but a lot of students in the life sciences are actually very uncomfortable with math and numbers. "I love science but hate math; I will study biology/kinesiology/nutrition/etc." is a pretty common theme.

Disclaimer: My sister has both a biology degree and a math degree. I'm not saying that all biology students hate math. But a lot of them do. My sample size is several thousand students.

Yeah. Lot of biology majors up here don't like math and even in nutrition classes, some refuse to believe the text books over celebrity doctors/diet gurus.

I kinda feel like a lotta stuff is superstitious when it comes to weight loss "do's and don'ts". Like people didn't have all the information and so tried to do their best to guess at a good answer and got close enough that it worked. Eating a lot of ice cream makes you gain weight. If you didn't eat any of that ice cream you didn't gain weight or you lost. Thus ice cream makes you instantly gain weight the moment you eat it. Then when you tell them the mechanism behind all that and try to say "ice cream is good" you're butting up against their beliefs. It's the same people that think correlation is causation.

Disclaimer: I'm a biologist who is okay at math but terrible with numbers. I can't count past 20, I gotta divide things into groups and multiply.
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I know someone who is becoming a guru at "nutritional cleansing diet". (whatever that is).... I'm no expert on dieting, but the pictures of shakes and veggie meals that are posted on FB look miserable! I would not last a day! Good for you for fitting in a treat that is allowed by your daily intake! Sounds like you are doing wonderful!