My best friend doesnt believe in CICO

Options

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    The "it wasn't exercise because it wasn't in a gym" seems more ridiculous than not believing it's all about CI<CO to me.

Yeah that one is crazy, to be honest 90% of my excerise is done walking, hiking, swimming and with work out DVD's so I dont get that at all.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I'd be more upset to have a friend that practices willful ignorance. I had a lot of misconceptions about weight loss at one point also, but thankfully I also had critical thinking skills and an open mind. I wouldn't be friends with someone like that tbh. Sometimes you outgrow people.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    eliz_fit wrote: »
    I would just tell her that I don't need her advice, and then let results speak for themselves. She can believe whatever she wants to believe and it won't affect your results.

I do feel like in most cases, though, it's rude to offer criticisms of what other people are eating. If you didn't ask her for help, why is she picking apart your diet?

Yeah thats what I was feeling too honestly, I wasnt saying "oh I shouldnt be having ice cream im on a diet" I didnt say anything about calories, I just ordered what I wanted, and she started going on about this. I guess ive never really spoken with anyone yet about CICO and MFP, maybe this is how other people would react too.

Not really as extreme on my end. I do get some assumptions. Things like (upon turning down a larger portion of a salad drowning in dressing that also contains diced avocado), "But avocado is healthy fat and it's an organic dressing!" Or being asked by someone who's noticed the weight-loss, "How did you do it? You gave up bread? Carbs? Oil?"

And one person, after she asked and I told her about MFP and it all being CICO said, "That's great. I wish I had your willpower. I'm going to a weight-loss clinic next week."

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    eliz_fit wrote: »
    I would just tell her that I don't need her advice, and then let results speak for themselves. She can believe whatever she wants to believe and it won't affect your results.

I do feel like in most cases, though, it's rude to offer criticisms of what other people are eating. If you didn't ask her for help, why is she picking apart your diet?

Yeah thats what I was feeling too honestly, I wasnt saying "oh I shouldnt be having ice cream im on a diet" I didnt say anything about calories, I just ordered what I wanted, and she started going on about this. I guess ive never really spoken with anyone yet about CICO and MFP, maybe this is how other people would react too.

I have to be honest, I have never, ever met anyone in real life that did not know losing weight is about calories in vs. calories out. And I talk about weight loss with a lot of people. Sometimes when I read through these forums it's like I'm from a different planet.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I started calorie counting more than 20 years ago. It has always "worked," except when I stopped and gained at least some weight back again. I'm currently pondering how to not let that happen, but I think this is what people mean about calorie counting "not working." Sure it works, every time I do it!

I recall a friend saying to me "I want to lose weight, but I don't want to become obsessed with what I eat." Now that is a tall order. You have to at least become aware of what you eat. For people who tend to gain weight when not paying close attention (like me) this awareness seems to always border on obsession. Too bad for those around us.

And isn't that so weird? For countless years human society was (and in many places still is) firmly centered on the acquiring, cooking, and consuming of food - it was practically all we thought about, it was our primary motivation and goal. But now society seems to feel like paying any attention at all to your food is some kind of disorder or torture. Hopefully we can find a happy medium some day.

I only talk about counting with people who genuinely ask for guidance, and almost every person I've discussed it with has expressed either concern that I was doing it, or disbelief that they could possibly put that much effort into determining what to eat. Several have insisted it must take all the joy of eating somehow. Despite watching me thoroughly enjoy pizza, beer, restaurant desserts and bagels with cream cheese while maintaining a healthy weight. <shrug>

For some it probably would take the joy out of eating. It took the joy out of cooking for me.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    That's a difficult situation- I can sympathize. I save the bulk of my calories for dinner and so I eat a lot around that time and even though I stick to my calories and goals, my husband occasionally make comments about how I shouldn't eat X or just drink more water (I drink over 90 oz a day already, no thanks). I have been losing weight steadily so the comments have dropped off but it can be frustrating when someone you care about thinks that the only way to lose weight is to suffer. I am also getting good at my withering stare :wink:

Honestly, the results so far have spoken for themselves- so keep up your hard work and show your friend that it does work. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    navaris wrote: »
    Your friend isn't the only one that believes misinformation! I have had two doctors in the past that told me "walking wasn't exercise"

I had the opposite a couple of years ago. The GP told me I should do a bit more exercise following a blood pressure check. I pointed out I ran 40 miles per week and had a Half Marathon in two weeks. What he'd meant was to go for a walk.

Turned out to be an adverse reaction to some other medication.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    That's a difficult situation- I can sympathize. I save the bulk of my calories for dinner and so I eat a lot around that time and even though I stick to my calories and goals, my husband occasionally make comments about how I shouldn't eat X or just drink more water (I drink over 90 oz a day already, no thanks). I have been losing weight steadily so the comments have dropped off but it can be frustrating when someone you care about thinks that the only way to lose weight is to suffer. I am also getting good at my withering stare :wink:

Honestly, the results so far have spoken for themselves- so keep up your hard work and show your friend that it does work. Good luck!

My husband can be the same way, but in his case I know he is coming from a caring place, and doing what has always worked for him. He has no reason to try to lose weight but he doesnt disagree with me that what im doing is working, he just makes helpful (sometimes) suggestions lol
  • batgirl_273
    batgirl_273 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have this argument with my family and friends all the time. I had a hard time believing it too because I wanted it to sound so much harder to lose weight so I had an excuse. Literally. It was only when I actually started counting and using MFP that I realized it's really that simple. And now, my friends and family are watching the weight fall off, and my sister actually had the ignorance to say "well now I have to do it because I don't want to be the fat sister". It hurt, but it spurred me on to keep going. While she eats her ice cream not in moderation and doesn't offset it with any activity..... then the tables will have turned and only then will she 'get it'.