Beautiful Behaviors - May 2017

Options

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my TV and Internet service switched over right now. I can't go to the gym until he's done but it's taking a while because he had to run wire. Thought I would check in. And I agree @aleahurst but that just means everyone is being active or enjoying their loved ones ;)
    The bf and I completed 103 minutes of Shoulders and abs last night. AND he cleaned and did yard work, And cleaned the garage. Yes, this makes me happy!
    Have a Wonderful Saturday!!!!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Well this weekend has been... unusual. I joined my new gym, LOVED it, and after my workout I sat and ate a quest bar. I've only had them 2 or 3 times and they were okay but i decided to try a new flavor. I ate it all and went about my day. I also ate some apple slices that I had cut up and had sat in my car about ~2 hours. About 2 hours later I started feeling very ill when I was out for lunch to catch up with my grandparents. I had a bunch of other errands to run afterwards but couldn't do them. I hightailed it back home. I have had food poisoning I believe for the past 2 days. I was laid up completely on friday and saturday. Today I am finally feeling better (and I am ravenously hungry- and very weak from missing over 3000 calories). I made it to church and am taking it easy. I also got my shift covered on saturday. I hate missing work but I couldn't even stand up much. I am not sure what made me sick- the quest bar or the apple. I normally develop food aversions to whatever made me sick and at right now if someone offered me an apple I'd eat it. If someone offered me a quest bar I'd feel sick just thinking about it. Anyone else had a problem like this? Maybe I'm overthinking it?

Either way, I'm out of the gym for a few days. Getting sick after my workout has made me feel sick even thinking about the gym. I hope this feeling goes away soon. I hate irrational aversions. The gym didn't make me sick, food did!

I'm feeling much much better today and am staying hydrated and taking it easy! Hope everyone had a lovely weekend.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    Well this weekend has been... unusual. I joined my new gym, LOVED it, and after my workout I sat and ate a quest bar. I've only had them 2 or 3 times and they were okay but i decided to try a new flavor. I ate it all and went about my day. I also ate some apple slices that I had cut up and had sat in my car about ~2 hours. About 2 hours later I started feeling very ill when I was out for lunch to catch up with my grandparents. I had a bunch of other errands to run afterwards but couldn't do them. I hightailed it back home. I have had food poisoning I believe for the past 2 days. I was laid up completely on friday and saturday. Today I am finally feeling better (and I am ravenously hungry- and very weak from missing over 3000 calories). I made it to church and am taking it easy. I also got my shift covered on saturday. I hate missing work but I couldn't even stand up much. I am not sure what made me sick- the quest bar or the apple. I normally develop food aversions to whatever made me sick and at right now if someone offered me an apple I'd eat it. If someone offered me a quest bar I'd feel sick just thinking about it. Anyone else had a problem like this? Maybe I'm overthinking it?

Either way, I'm out of the gym for a few days. Getting sick after my workout has made me feel sick even thinking about the gym. I hope this feeling goes away soon. I hate irrational aversions. The gym didn't make me sick, food did!

I'm feeling much much better today and am staying hydrated and taking it easy! Hope everyone had a lovely weekend.

Most likely neither one was the culprit - most varieties of food poisoning show up between 8 - 24 hours. A few are as fast as 30 minutes but the one I know of that is, infects mainly rice and seafoods. Some like salmonella may take several days or even weeks to show up. It's natural to associate the thing you ate right before becoming ill with the sickness, but most likely it was something you ate the day before. Or even something you got from another person who had a food illness and did not wash hands before touching something you touched.

I'm glad you're feeling better and sorry to hear you lost your weekend to illness!
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    Having a quiet weekend so far - I am meeting my mom tomorrow for lunch and to show her a scrapbook belonging to her father which I found in the spare room. This scrapbook unexpectedly contains a photo of her paternal grandmother who died before she was born, who she had never seen.

Fingers crossed but my new thyroid meds don't seem to be spiking either my glucose or my heart rate!

Hope everyone else is having a lovely holiday weekend.
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Nope. I am not going to try to record my food today. I have no clue.

I ate a handful of almonds then ran to church late.

Then...

My son got his truck stuck in the mud, an hour from home. I rarely drive, but he was sure I could get him out. We broke a strap trying. He called a tow truck. It would be an hour before the truck could get there.

We left the truck and drove to the nearest town, population 82, Sherrill, Arkansas. And got the attention of the only business in town. The man let us in, fed us, towed the truck out of the hole, then he and his wife chatted with us and ate with us. It was "soul food Sunday" in their little store. I don't know what it was, but it was smothered with gravy, and it was good!!!!!

My beautiful behavior for the day was to listen to the wife and husband tell their stories. A storm blew over while we chatted. The sun set in blue and purple dots over flooded rice fields. Ahhhhh.

I'll go back to counting tomorrow.

Love to all.

Lea
  • aleahurst
    Options
    QUESTION: On limited energy, what exercise can be done for one minute a day, until you build up strength?
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    aleahurst wrote: »
    QUESTION: On limited energy, what exercise can be done for one minute a day, until you build up strength?

What I did following my surgery was curl water bottles (little dumbells would also work) while I watched TV, and do about a minute of high steps, followed by back kicks, every couple of hours. Eventually I got strong enough to want heavier weights, and moved on to more leg workouts. I also started by pedaling really slowly for 10 minutes at a time on my stationary bike with no resistance and built up. The stationary bike is great for me because our weather is so unpredictable and because you can adjust how hard you want to work out very easily depending on how you feel. In your case, you have lung issues, is that correct?
  • aleahurst
    Options
    Yes, it's lung issues. I appear to have flare ups, which make me weak for a few days, then I'm better. I could sit up or stand to do curls for a minute every couple hours. What are high steps?
  • aleahurst
    Options
    Well. I didn't think I could exercise, but I did do curls for one minute. Thank you. I'll try again in a couple hours. :)
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    A high step is just walking in place while lifting your knees as high as you can, and a back kick is walking in place kicking your feet towards your rear.
  • aleahurst
    Options
    Well, perhaps a minute of high stepping is in order!
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...sorry I have been missing in action the last few days. I was busy with family Friday and most of Saturday. However, Sunday and Monday I was laid up on the couch. I thought it was my ciatic joint again but I really don't know. It no longer hurts but I had no energy and kept sleeping all day and then slept all night. Not something I do especially on beautiful days like these were. So...now I feel extremely guilty for just laying around for 2 days. I will try to make up for this.

Beautiful Behavior for today...drink more water and get at least 60 minutes of some kind of exercise in.

Hope everyone feels good and refreshed after the holiday weekend so we can all get at it.
  • aleahurst
    Options
    @str8bowbabe - hey!!! I'm glad to see people getting back! You needed rest and you took it. That's being good. That's tuning in to what your body needs. Chances are high that you will need to go back to exercise real soon!

I feel okay today, yay! My oxygen is at 94%, without my machine. Above 90% is good. Oh, I'll watch, but I'm allowed to break from the machine as long as my oxygen doesn't get low. Yahoo!

Today-
    Physical: get in a walk
    Mental: listen to an audio book
    Spiritual: keep everyone on my prayer list lifted up
    Sensory: go outside barefoot
    Diet: Record my meals
    Play: Create a concept of a walkway across my backyard

Love to all,

Lea
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hi all, it's been a while. Today was a great morning with the baby. We made it to the gym together, and I have a sitter so later I will get my monthly deep massage where my friend walks on my incredibly tight legs. Baby is sleeping now and I'm taking a few moments to myself to reflect and feel positive (not guilty!) about this wonderful day off.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    @aleahurst - I took a short run at lunch. NOTE to self...it is now hot outside so run in the am or in the pm or run inside! LOL

Keep that oxygen over 90%. My mom struggled with her oxygen too so I understand that struggle. Hope you get to get that walk in. Does wonders for the mind and body.

Everyone have a great day!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Hello, all you beautiful people.

I'm Soooooooo Tired!!! -So, I am going home after work and lying down. I hate to skip the gym (that will be 3 days off in a row), however I think I would injure myself if I tried to workout this tired.

Yesterday I attended a former coworker's house for a pool party after work, it was so fun. He's so nice and got to hang out with some of my now coworkers who went. ***Yep, I have to work most holidays if they fall on a week day. Blech. I still arrived home about 8:15pm and went to bed at a decent time so not quite sure why I feel so tired. Oh well, hopefully I can rest up and get back into the swing of things.

I just hate when your body doesn't want to cooperate LOL -I know ya'll can relate <3

Thought of the day: I'm so good at sleeping, I can do it with my eyes closed!!! Ha ha, I crack myself up. Rest when you need it. Rest and recovery is also a very important part of fitness and health. Obviously, I forget this sometimes because I normally feel guilty for taking days off.

Happy Tuesday
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    @aleahurst - yay for good days!

I've got the sensory part of my beautiful behaviors down - sitting outside enjoying the green leaves and the sounds. I learned that I can smell bees. My husband has said for years that he can smell bugs, like grasshoppers, but I never could tell what he was talking about. However, I just recently noticed that I can smell when a large bee like a bumble bee or carpenter bee is nearby. It's funny how little we modern people rely on our sense of smell.

One thing I'm trying to work on is getting back into the swing of things creatively. I feel like the calories I'm cutting must be coming straight from the creative part of my brain - when I try to work on my writing, nothing happens. If I think about it logically, I know why this is - creative solutions come from the brain solving creative problems during its down time, problems that have been pushed to the back burner. Right now my brain is using all its down time to work on the "problem" of my health, leaving no free time for anything else. But knowing this doesn't make it less annoying. I'm hoping that eventually taking care of my health will become routine and free up some circuits for creativity.
  • aleahurst
    Options
    Woo-hoo! Love love love the direction everyone is going on their self care journeys!

@wellnesschaser - awww. Tiny moments alone are just precious when you have a baby at home. Of course, moments with baby are precious too! So glad you got a day off.

@str8bowbabe - you *did* go for a run! Good for you. Yes yes, I've got a nice finger oximeter now and I spot check. I did go for a walk. In the early morning. It was great.

@happysherri - You are not alone. I can sleep with my eyes closed too. In fact, I giggled and thought, "I'm going to use that some day"!!!!!

@rheddmobile - okay..... Now I need to go out and sniff the honey bees to test that idea. Can you smell rain, too? That one is easy for me. That will be on my tomorrow list. It's raining like crazy out there. Yep. I went out and stood in it barefoot!

Hmmm. Are we creatively oppressed while we diet? Perhaps that's fatigue. Is there a correlation between certain foods and creativity? Google should know this!

Love to all.

Lea
  • KimF0715
    KimF0715 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Here to say hello.

Haven't been on my treadmill since Sunday. Got to get back on tonight. Yesterday I could feel my stress rise. LOL

Wednesday is my weigh in day. I am down another 0.6 for a complete loss of 1.2 since jumping on the treadmill.

Hope everyone is doing well. <3

Kim