Anyone doing an intermittent fasting method?

Options
2»

Replies

• myname20
    myname20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am doing 16:8
  • surfer68
    surfer68 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 16:8 for a while now. The first week is tough. I also pre-portion my meals as a complement to the 16:8. When it's time to eat something it's already done
  • blively23
    blively23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used to do it and lost 70 lb!! I fell off the wagon and have gained back 20. I am turning that around starting now. I'll shoot you a request!
  • tramaine_21
    tramaine_21 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm in 2 weeks into 'IF' I use the 16:8 method; someone mentioned above that the first week they felt dizzy, faint-like etc...I felt the same way but it's probably the rapid water and salt leave the body. Once all of the toxins were out, I slowly added a little salt (kosher) to my diet and I felt better. Just give your body time to adjust. I lost 3 pounds my first 5 days, then I lost almost 1-pound a week later--which is good. My body is reprogramming itself; only in due time will the weight began to melt off! I can't wait!! Feel free to add me!
  • cidalia_mar
    cidalia_mar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I definitely plan to do so. It's just on the back burner at the moment because I'm nursing, and I don't want to risk my milk production tanking. I will say that, when I was younger and having no weight issues, I did IF without knowing it was a thing. I just wasn't hungry in the morning, so I didn't eat. As soon as I started adding breakfast because of the adage about it being the most important meal of the day, my weight started to creep up.
  • afairfax47
    afairfax47 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've doing it! Only my eating window is just 4 hours a day. I have done this before, only before I ate every 24 hours, I lost 10kgs in 1.5months and didn't even do any exercise. It's because your hgh levels rise & insulin drops (recipe for fat burning) The trick is is to drink black coffees, sugareless drinks and herbal teas during the day, and chew sugar free gum. I swear it doesn't even feel like you are fasting
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to one of the bigger IF groups - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I started doing this a few months ago and lost well the first couple of weeks. Then it slowed down to just the normal rate. I've kept it up, mostly because I think it helps keep total calories under control and because I really don't care about breakfast. Never have. I restrict eating to noon-8 p.m.
  • wande214
    wande214 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in the IF, feel free to add me. Is water allowed during fast.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    iTim__ wrote: »
    I confine eating time from 12 noon to 8 PM (no eating after 8PM and before 12 noon) and I use MFP to watch calorie intake during the time I eat.

What I like about it:
    * Results are undeniable
    * I feel like I'm improving my stamina and self control

I would like to read more about the benefits / associated techniques of doing this. Can anyone recommend a place where I can get additional evidence-based (not anecdotal stories) about IF?

There really is no benefit to doing IF other than it being a method for some to control caloric intake resulting in weight loss.

There's no magic as to when you eat your food within a 24 hour period. It really *is* only about how much of it you eat. :)

Edited to add: I've been doing IF 16:8 for over two years now. I've lost the weight I wanted to, and still use IF now that I'm in maintenance.

I don't eat breakfast (never was hungry first thing in the morning anyway) and by skipping breakfast, that leaves enough room for a really good lunch and dinner, as well as a few snacks in the evening.

It works for me but I recognize that everyone is different, so this is definitely not a one-size-fits-all method. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    wande214 wrote: »
    I am very interested in the IF, feel free to add me. Is water allowed during fast.

Water has no calories so, yes, you can have as much as you like. Same with any no calorie beverage such as diet soda.
  • X100KLS1992
    X100KLS1992 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    A bit late in joining the post but I'm doing 16:8 are any of you still following it?