How is it so easy for so many people to eat less?

Options

Replies

• kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    It's not easy. It will NEVER been easy. I lost my weight in 2011, and I've been up and down upwards of 20lbs since. As soon as I think I have things under control, my mind decides it doesn't want to behave any more and it's all over.

What I find that works is: Never cut ANYTHING out. Pre-log your day and if you can't at least plan ahead as much as possible. Allow yourself treats - then it won't feel like deprivation. Find an activity that you love. It won't feel like a burden then. Go slow. There's no deadline and trust me, Maintainance is HARD. Try and work on a habit for 14 days. Then when you have that one under control, try another. Learning to say NO is the biggest hurdle I had. I used to do whatever I wanted - eat everything on my plate and sometimes other peoples. I had a major regular Soda habit that added 100's of calories to my day without me even noticing.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    A lot of good stuff here. If I had that same problem, I would consider making the change a little more gradually. Focus on one small thing at a time. If you eat 2500 a day, consider one substitute or one macro change to bring it to 2250. Stay there for a few weeks. Repeat.

There is no need to lose "as fast as possible". The need is to lose...period. So train yourself. You can't lift heavy weights without lifting light first. It takes training. If you know yourself, give yourself a chance. This is a lifetime lifestyle choice. It can happen over time. You just have to start.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm another who had a tough time with just cutting back on calories. I rarely lasted longer than a couple of weeks, although I lasted a few months a couple of times. It was not primarily mental for me but rather that I can't be hungry all the time, That combined with reactive hypoglycemia left me feeling cranky, dizzy and tired. It wasn't sustainable. Too hard.

Like others, I found changing my food made the greatest difference. That was when it got "easy" for me. The only hard part was the first week or two while getting used to new foods (in my case, low carb and high fat - no refined foods or sugars). It required some willpower to avoid those foods, but I found it less so than when I would eat just a bit and then try to stop.

For people like me, abstinence from certain foods is an easier way to go. I just needed to accept that eating my "normal way" is what helped me gain weight so I can't eat that way anymore.

Good luck.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    .. dupe!
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Increasing activity also has helped me a lot. I bike to work. That's 40 min of cycling in a day, which adds a couple hundred calories to my budget, which takes me from "no room to eat anything but the basics" to "I can have what I need and a bit of what I want".

If it was easy, no one would get fat. It's not easy for anyone, it's a choice to make changes and stick to them.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Are you always changing how you eat AND starting exercise at the same time? Start with one or the other not both.

Change one thing, master it, then add another. When I say master the small change I don't mean for a week I mean for a month or more, then add the next one. This is a lifestyle, forever, you didn't build bad habits overnight and you won't build better habits overnight either.
    Small things, examples (do one at a time)
    • Reduce by 100 cals at a time
    • Exercise for 20 minutes
    • Eat only at maintenance
    • Give up sodas
    • Drink more water (and measure and log it)

That said, you will have some hunger, phantom hunger, and you have to power through it. Have a plan to tackle those moments. Drinks lots of water, stay busy, chew on strays, walk in circles, whatever.

Don't focus on losing weight, focus on feeling better, being healthier.

Forgive yourself when you slip but get right back on the wagon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    When I focus on foods that satiate me, I'm only hungry right before meals. I found more protein and less fast carbs like bread made from flour keeps me fuller. I still eat "junk" but much less of it. When I have pizza, I have less slices and eat it with a big salad.

Prelogging helps considerably - I'll often decide a not-filling food is just not worth the calories.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Easy answer - you are eating too many calories which will keep you at a maintenance level. I suggest the carbs are too high (making you hungrier); and you are eating too much treats. You need to write down everything you eat and drink, so that you can see right there what exactly you are eating. Do that for a couple weeks. You are eating more than you think. If you eat 500 calories a day less, you would lose a pound a week (for most people).
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    There's certainly a mental aspect to it, but in my case and I suspect a lot of people's cases it's not that simple. Without getting too detailed, blood sugar problems can contribute to it, and seem to be pretty common. You might want to ask your doctor about getting your blood sugar tested, and for suggestions about dealing with the results.

I have had great results with a low-glycemic diet. The cravings that I used to experience are just not there any more. You might ask your doctor about that. A couple of popular ones that are easy to follow are the DASH diet and the South Beach diet, and you can get free information online about both of those.
  • sporangia
    sporangia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I don't like to eat "less", so I practice volumetrics. I like huge servings of lower calorie options. Also, lots of protein. I eat more than you and weigh 140ish lbs.

+1 to this, go for high volume, high nutrient, low calorie foods

I recommend Joel Fuhrman's book Eat to Live
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    How do they do it? They are cyborgs. I don't get it either. Anyone who can blithely say, "log it!" or "it's all mental!" Doesn't understand the complexities of what you and I suffer from. And what so many other people suffer from.

I dont know if this happens to you, but for me when i go grocery shopping, that junk pop/chip/candy isle calls out to me constantly. I would try and avoid the isle but In the past i would cave and go get something every time. For every healthy choice i made, i would say, i could totally get a pop or some chips too.. we all know how that ends.

The last 2 months I have gone to the isle and stared at every single thing that i wanted and mentally said to myself. I love you, but i will NOT buy you today. Forcing myself to stare "the devil" down.

And then Caramel M&Ms happened...sweet baby jesus those things are good. I need an intervention.